What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Reynolds

txta2

Bench
How much speculation in that piece, lol, what a pile of shit that show is. Reynolds ain't the messiah. Let's Move on and watch the continuation of the broncos circus.

“Reynolds said he respected Fitzgibbon and Cronulla were professional with all their dealings with him. He dreaded informing Fitzgibbon of his Brisbane decision on Wednesday.“ Boo phaaarrrking hoo ya soft clock.

Exactly, comment from the man himself rather than the ill informed dribble from the likes of Hooper and co.

DJDL

Bench
As much as it’s disappointing to miss a primary target, I’m ok with it.

It would have been nice to land a quality player, no doubt, but I think the writing was on the wall when he was taking so long to sign.

That tells me his heart wasn’t in it, and I’d rather miss out than get into a bidding war and end up paying overs for someone who may or may not see out the length of his contract. And one who is really just here to pick up a payday. We all know how that goes.

I say good on the club for not playing his game.

txta2

Bench
I don't believe the dollar amounts being thrown around. Broncos gave him more than Sharks for sure, and I don't care what bs story Reynolds comes up with.

SKIBUR

Juniors
Obviously it's not great that we missed him, however I'm glad we didn't get him at the inflated price.

Absolute rubbish about us lowballing him - we were the only one with an offer in, an offer that he accepted. Why would we offer more than that until another party comes to the table.

The issue isn't so much about missing him but more about the way the media are treating us. It doesn't take much to have any other potential targets look at the way we are being portrayed and think twice before signing the dotted line. The fact that he came out and unprompted, stuck up for us. Clearly more going on there that he knows we know, so needed to say something.

As for other targets, not much out there but no need to rush. Happy to target other key individuals and then bring the right half into a strong team. I'm still a big fan of Metcalf, who's contract upgrades to top 30 next year. Also, I know he'll never get a run but little Jack A. Williams was better than Flanno Jr. all through the grades including NSW cup. It's just a shame his old man wasn't head coach at the time. Anyone who thinks FJ would be a good choice, should be happy with JAW.

Maccas4177

Juniors
Take it with a truckload of salt, but Fox Sports coverage of the 'botched' Reynolds recruitment points the finger at Mooney:

Adam Reynolds’ decision to snub a lucrative offer from the Sharks to instead sign with the Broncos exposes just how badly the Sydney club botched the negotiations.

On Thursday the Brisbane Broncos confirmed they had secured Reynolds on a three-year-deal believed to be worth $200,000 less than what the Sharks were offering.

It was a major blow to incoming Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon who, according to Fox League’s James Hooper, believed he was on track to land the veteran halfback.

“When Adam Reynolds initially had conversations with Craig Fitzgibbon, he told Fitzgibbon that he wanted to come to Cronulla and he was keen to be coached by him,” Hooper said.

“I think for whatever reason the people who were putting the deal together at Cronulla got a little bit of false hope and false confidence.

“The best deal-makers in the business, your Nick Politis, your Matt Tripps, your Wayne Bennetts, you roll out your big guns when you want to land a key signature.

“They sent the football manager — with all due respect Darren Mooney — they didn’t get the deal done.”

Paul Kent backed that up saying: “Fitzgibbon walked out of the meeting with Reynolds pretty confident that he was going to get him.”

“Then he handed it over to the club and it fell apart,” Ikin added.

Kent said the Sharks “got it wrong on a lot of levels” and should have gone to a much bigger effort to convince Reynolds to sign. Instead they tabled an offer well below Reynolds’ market value and left it up to Mooney to get the deal done.

“The Chief Executive and Chairman should have shown Adam Reynolds how much he meant to them by turning up and saying ‘what’s it going to take to get the deal done,” he said.

In contrast the Broncos flew head coach Kevin Walters and new CEO Dave Donaghy down to Sydney to meet with the 30-year-old.

“To be fair they’re not big guns either,” Ikin added.

“No, but they’re the biggest the club can offer,” Kent responded.

“And even if you want to bring in a Gallen or someone like that. But you’ve got bring in the big guns and just lay out the red carpet and show how important to your organisation he is.

“The second part was when they made the initial approach, they low-balled him on the deal.”

Ikin said it was a “bad miss by the Sharks” while Hooper called it “horrendous.”

Lara Pitt questioned whether the Reynolds situation has made Fitzgibbon realise that he needs be at the forefront of recruitment meetings.

“Do you think this will be a learning for Craig Fitzgibbon though? He’s got a full time job at the Roosters at the moment so it’s difficult for him to front up and have these one-on-one conversations,” she said.

“I think he realises now that he has to be the face of those negotiations.”

However Ikin believes it should be an even bigger lesson for Cronulla’s powerbrokers.

“Less for Craig Fitzgibbon, more for Dino Mezzatesta and the chairman Steve Mace.

“I think (Fitzgibbon) would be worried that this was botched the way it was and what is he walking into.”

The Sharks have had a tumultuous start to 2021. It was kicked off with speculation around John Morris’ future at the club before he was unceremoniously axed and Fitzgibbon was unveiled as head coach for 2022 and beyond.

Part of the reasoning behind why the Sharks didn’t keep Morris on was the belief that he couldn’t attract big name players.

Nor can Fitzgibbon so it seems now. Or as Ikin put it, maybe recruitment is an issue that is way beyond who is or isn’t the coach.

“They employed Craig Fitzgibbon believing he was going to be the silver bullet, going to solve all the problems. But rugby league clubs are bigger than that, they require more than that,” he said.

“That’s what Melbourne get, that’s what the Roosters get, that’s what the Broncos used to get, that’s what Wayne Bennett understands and that’s the future now for the Sharks.

The chairman, CEO and head coach need to be aligned on what excellence looks like in every part of that organisation.”

Moylan is one of the club’s biggest earners. He’s on around $800,000 a year but has only managed 49 games since he joined the Sharks in 2018. Given what he is capable of when he is in form, the 29-year-old could be an option on a much lower deal.

Trindall re-signed with the club for this season just before it kicked off, however he’s had limited opportunity in first grade.

Connor Tracey is another option and recently resigned on a three-year deal. He has been the shining light in the dark start to the season. The 24-year-old’s versatility has been invaluable for the Sharks. He can cover anywhere in the back line and can fill in at hooker if need be.

He has been lauded for his enthusiasm and work ethic — and will surely be locked in on a new deal. But is he the right type of player to lead the team around the park?

The Sharks have been linked to the man who will now likely be squeezed out of Brisbane, Anthony Milford. But that would be an incredible odd path to go down given Milford has been out of form for the better part of two years.

Fitzgibbon as well as Mezzatesta and Mace have some big decisions ahead of them. They were banking on Reynolds and now can’t afford to bungle any other potential signing.
What a load of shit this article is. I am of the understanding that Mooney is one of the better operators around. Clearly just another opportunity for these morons to have a dig. It’s so obvious that all in the media have something against the Sharks. Winds me up.

Tiger Shark

Bench
What a load of shit this article is. I am of the understanding that Mooney is one of the better operators around. Clearly just another opportunity for these morons to have a dig. It’s so obvious that all in the media have something against the Sharks. Winds me up.

It was one of the most obvious hatchet pieces I've seen in a while. We need the Chairman to help our negotiating ? f**k off

Mooney has recruited the likes of Ennis, Barba, Maloney, Lewis, Klemmer, Ponga, Pierce. And that's just some that come to mind.

We're fine in that department.

I have no doubt he's very busy talking to dozens of players.

Latest posts