What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A solution for Withers next season?

Chachi

Bench
Bay56 said:
That might be so Chachi but when you take a look at our late tackle plays we've witnessed (especially under Elliott) you start to wonder if they have ANY structured plays.

Football nowadays is won by the one percenters ... the more you have the better chance you get at being in front when the final whistle blows.

The NRL has structured it's competition with a level playing field in mind. The difference between the successful clubs and those that languish at the bottom are those that identify the one percenters, from management to coach to players to ball boy.

Unfortunately we've shown that we are near clueless in that department.
Dude, I've got no argument with you on those points - but this aint the NFL. Our playmakers have to instantaneously react to what is going on out there unlike a game of chess played in short sharp bursts.

I agree we need some structure to our style - especially to fall back on when things are tough. Hopefully after a full season of Henry we'll get a bit more of that next year. Melbourne do it brilliantly...everyone seems to know their role perfectly and how to play to it under any conditions.

Chachi

Bench
Bay56 said:
Rather than Carney memorising an "infinite number of plays" he would be more than capable of three or four ... and that is all you need to keep the opposition guessing ... performing those to perfection is the name of the game.
Amen. Cooper Cronk does that to a tea and I think our Todd has many more strings to his bow than Cooper.

thickos

First Grade
Chachi said:
Amen. Cooper Cronk does that to a tea and I think our Todd has many more strings to his bow than Cooper.

I wish TC would do the role Cronk does so brilliantly for his team though, what a selfless player. IMO the most under-rated player in the NRL.

Chachi

Bench
thickos said:
I wish TC would do the role Cronk does so brilliantly for his team though, what a selfless player. IMO the most under-rated player in the NRL.
Damn straight. The Subaru of the NRL. Reliable, consistent, tough, great options, good on all surfaces and probably comes at a decent price too. Not bad looking either...in a non gay sort of way of course...

hrundi99

First Grade
Chachi said:
Damn straight. The Subaru of the NRL. Reliable, consistent, tough, great options, good on all surfaces and probably comes at a decent price too. Not bad looking either...in a non gay sort of way of course...

Gotta love Subies... ;-)

I just got a Commodore though... :sarcasm:

Chachi

Bench
hrundi99 said:
Gotta love Subies... ;-)

Yeah, I'm driving a Mazda "McLinden" right now (looks pretty flash with all the features, but has never actually won anything), but it'll soon be time for an update so the Subaru is definitely on the list.

Gotta love the Commodore - the Scott Logan of the car world. No nonsense and always performing when it counts...unlike those Ford "Weyman" Falcons which look the goods but are always breaking down! ;-)

Keep Withers ur best option by a mile IMO, your team like the knights struggled this year due to the fact that your team was chopped and changed 6 million times and you's never had the same starting 13 in consecutive weeks.

With time to build combo's every player will improve.

Rate Henry as a coach seems to be a very shrewd guy.

crouching_tiger

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
Gotta love Subies... ;-)

Yeah you gotta love the Subie....it could be parked at your workplace if all goes well. Would look good parked next to the Lotus..... :lol:

hrundi99

First Grade
crouching_tiger said:
Yeah you gotta love the Subie....it could be parked at your workplace if all goes well. Would look good parked next to the Lotus..... :lol:

Yeah dude I already own one. Perhaps you didn't see it last time you were there. It has a Raiders sticker on the back window. :cool:

Hard to fit the kid in a Lotus.

Chachi

Bench
I think our lack of stability in the halves is a far greater concern than the dummy half position TBH.

matt

Juniors
after much deliberation with the bottle over the weekend i think i have the perfect alternative for LW . give him the captaincy to souths logan. i know how these angry little men work its all about the power.he will be able to spit and spat at all the SL players and have no bearing on us whatsoever.Like some one once said out of sight out of mind.
ffs i hope he 1. learns to pass backwards.
2.accepts resposibility for his own mistakes.
3. being a so called "leader" acts like one.
thats if henry persists with him. but i reckon SL.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
wow why is he so hated?

his alot better then Hinchy..while he has brain farts he still contributes quite alot..one of our leading tacklers and also creates more trouble for the defense when ball in hand..

Just watch a game and see how he acts like a leader. Why do we always need a player to hate? why isnt there a thread on Dobson? his crap...or better yet (now this should anger alot of you guys) Carney? name another half in the league besides dobson who goes missing as much as him..

our 9 while may have crap games, the fact is he isnt why we lost.

we should be talking about our defense which leaks points 95m away from the goalline..we cant stop teams in there own half..how do we plan to stop them attacking our line.

dubby

Bench
Dont bother cr2k2, matt has a perennial vendetta against LW. )Along with other forum members who have pets in other positions) LW is a scapegoat for alot in this team. TBH, I am fed up with his passing.

Problem is, there isnt a better player for the 9.

green eyed mike

Juniors
Spot on Dubby, all we currently have in the key positions, 1,9,7,6 is potential and unless some of these players step up next season it will be another frustrating season.

I don't think anyone has questioned LW defence but throwing forward passes as often as he does is unforgiveable, maybe giving Hinchy a one year deal will keep him on his toes and he'll have a good season.

matt

Juniors
it is starting to look like that hey dubster. maybe i should back off a bit hey. its not like he,d give a flying f**k anyways about my

observations.:lol:

i would like him to adress some problems tho. tbh he is not without hope of

redemtion imo. and i dont and never will hate anyone, its not in my vocabulary.

cr2k2 their is so many things that need adressing you touched on a couple in

your above post. but as this is the LW thread .

tbh there is only 2 players i dont think need a bit off a roast from 2007 that

be logan and tongue. whether it be playing abillity,constant injuries or external influences

who the f**k knows. something was not right in 2007.

Bay56

First Grade
The problem I have with Withers is that he has never been asked to sharpen his skills in PL ... unlike a few others who by all reports did not (understandedly) not take henry's uneven treatment.

I'm also not comfortable with Withers treatment of fellow players when they make errors.

Withers quite frankly is over-rated and over-paid ... that being one of the reasons this club does not suceed.

legend

Coach
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
wow why is he so hated?

his alot better then Hinchy..while he has brain farts he still contributes quite alot..one of our leading tacklers and also creates more trouble for the defense when ball in hand..

Just watch a game and see how he acts like a leader. Why do we always need a player to hate? why isnt there a thread on Dobson? his crap...or better yet (now this should anger alot of you guys) Carney? name another half in the league besides dobson who goes missing as much as him..

our 9 while may have crap games, the fact is he isnt why we lost.

we should be talking about our defense which leaks points 95m away from the goalline..we cant stop teams in there own half..how do we plan to stop them attacking our line.

Mate, I don't rate Dobson at all. He's useless in every aspect bar his goalkicking. He's a small, slow halfback who gets pummelled when trying to take on the line and is a liability in defence.

As for Withers, I'll tell you what irks me about this bloke.

In a game against Penrith he had the opportunity to clean up a loose ball in goal by either kicking it dead or diving on it. You know what he did, he tried to scoop it up over the dead ball line and look fancy whilst doing it, instead he made a meal of it and the Panthers scored a try that should never have been.

To me, that play encapsulates Lincoln Withers.

green eyed mike

Juniors
Bay56 said:
The problem I have with Withers is that he has never been asked to sharpen his skills in PL ... unlike a few others who by all reports did not (understandedly) not take henry's uneven treatment.

I'm also not comfortable with Withers treatment of fellow players when they make errors.

Withers quite frankly is over-rated and over-paid ... that being one of the reasons this club does not suceed.

It is one thing to send players back when you have options but what choice did Henry have to replace Withers?

matt

Juniors
not good to have a bloke running around that thinks hes cant be replaced.

but if you think outside the square. tongue to hooker.

dubby

Bench
green eyed mike said:
Spot on Dubby, all we currently have in the key positions, 1,9,7,6 is potential and unless some of these players step up next season it will be another frustrating season.

I don't think anyone has questioned LW defence but throwing forward passes as often as he does is unforgiveable, maybe giving Hinchy a one year deal will keep him on his toes and he'll have a good season.

And that is why we struggled this year dude. Our key positions contained rookies and a guy who makes basic errors from where it all starts: dummyhalf.

If these positions dont improve, 08 will suck.

I think Zillman will be better for the run next year, I am unsure about Dobson and Carney. I have a feeling we may see Herbert get a run.