What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A sunny day in 1975.

A sunny Saturday in July at the SCG for the match between the Premiers and competition leaders Eastern Suburbs and the team coming 3rd on the table St George. In front of a crowd of nearly 20,000 the Mighty Eastern Suburbs Roosters tore a hapless St George to pieces.
St George kicked off but they made the dreadful mistake of kicking the ball straight to Mark Harris. As the big centre started his run, the St George defence greeted him with a staggered line. Harris was able to break the first line of defence and with his pace he was able to get around Roy Ferguson and Graeme Langlands to score under the posts. Brass calmly kicked the goal and the score read Easts 5 St George 0 after 1 minute.
As the stunned Saints players headed back to kick off again you could feel a buzz in the crowd. This was going to be a great Rooster day, you could just feel it and the thousands of tricoloured flags waving on the hill was a sight to behold.
Langlands kicked off for the second time but this time the ball went to Ron Coote who selectively passed the ball to a flying Mark Harris. He headed straight for the first line of defence and with a slight swerve the runaway train was through again. He outpaced Tatana and was able to push off Bailey and once again Harris was heading for the tryline. A last ditched attempt by Goodwin was to no avail as Mark Harris went over under the posts for the second time. With Brass's conversion successfull the score read Easts 10 St George 0 after 3 minutes.
The crowd was going berserk as the Easts machine was cutting a swaythe through a hapless St George team. The 3rd kick off came but this time Bill Mullins took it. As Big Bill winded up, the crowd was anticipating another blockbusting run but it wasn't to be as 3 St George forward combined to put the Roosters winger down. But for Saints the damage had been done.
The Roosters played champagne football that day and ended up scoring 9 magical tries in a 41-7 massacre. Saints only try was a penalty try scored by John Bailey and many thought that the ref Laurie Bruyers felt sorry for Saints and gave them one try as a consolation. The score was 41-2 when Bailey had his penalty try awarded.
The look on the stunned faces of the Dragon's fans said it all as we made our way out of the SCG that july day in 1975. The nightmares they must've had about Mark Harris that night would leave Freddy Kruger to shame. Little did the Saints fans know what was in store for them on Grand final day that year. They must've breathed easy when Mark Harris was injured for the big one, little did they know. :D

R17
Eastern Suburbs def StGeorge 41 (9-7-0) to 7 (1-2-0)
20 July 1975 S.C.G. Ref: L.Bruyeres Crowd: 19803

PB

Bench
Another post worthy of the roosters site, why not put it there where it may be interesting to the majority, not here where all you are going to read in reply is "one day in 100 years doesn't make for a great football club....." etc...

junior009

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
This was going to be a great Rooster day, you could just feel it and the thousands of tricoloured flags waving on the hill was a sight to behold.

You mean to tell me the Roosters used to draw a crowd????

Excuse me for being sceptical!! :lol:

melon....

Coach
Its not about appreciating the Roosters. Its about appreciating the memories and history some of the older members can hand down to the kids here.

For Easts fans it was a glorious day. Any day that Saints get thrashed is beautiful. But consider it a bit of NRL history, which in fact it is, and consider yourselves lucky this level of detail and information is still available.

PB said:
Unless of course you are not appreciated there either.....

RC is very appreciated in the Roosters Forum and will kick arse in the Forum 7's.

EA, I love reading bits of history like this, and this is 'nuthin' in comparison to what RC is capable of with his RL Articles.

Great Read Coggie !!

Kiwi

First Grade
melon.... said:
Its not about appreciating the Roosters. Its about appreciating the memories and history some of the older members can hand down to the kids here.

For Easts fans it was a glorious day. Any day that Saints get thrashed is beautiful. But consider it a bit of NRL history, which in fact it is, and consider yourselves lucky this level of detail and information is still available.

No offence Melon, but if I was to post something similar about the Broncos I'd be told to post it in the Broncos forum. Lets face it not many non-rooster fans give a rats about something the Roosters did yesterday let alone 28 years ago.

Glenn

First Grade
And, that would be the vast majority of people here ;-)

Belongs on the Roosters board for sure. not a NRL board, may surprise you Melon but their is more to the NRL than Sydney City #-o

I'm not criticising it Penelope, it's a history piece about the Roosters from a Rooster supporters perspective, but as was said it would have probably been better suited to the Rooster forum or F7's.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
What is the point of this thread? If there was a humour section it would go in that because i can't stop laughing thinking that Cogburn actually thinks people give a shit. :lol:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'll just say I enjoyed it and might have missed it had it just been posted in the Roosters forum, keep 'em coming.

Forget about it being about the Roosters. It's history and it's one of the things that makes this game great. I was at that game and the sight of Mark Harris in full flight was something that I (and the entire St George team) will never forget. Some of you young ones out there should appreciate an era where interchange meant putting on your cossies under a towel when you went to the beach and metres gained was the ground you covered when you were being chased by the Spooner gang in Hewlitt Street! I can cast my mind back to those days and I can still smell the dencorub wafting from the dressing rooms. I can still here the sound of Artie Beetson's steel studs on the concrete path as he lead the Roosters on to the ground and I can still picture the spectacular sight of a long haired Russell Fairfax leaping above everyone to catch a spiraling bomb. :D

bulldogbob

Juniors
Hey Coqburn, would you appreciate if I tossed over the 1980's entertainers on this forum, like the rest of them said, piss this useless dribble to the roosters forum, where other likeminded idiots can appreciate it.

bulldogbob said:
Hey Coqburn, would you appreciate if I tossed over the 1980's entertainers on this forum, like the rest of them said, piss this useless dribble to the roosters forum, where other likeminded idiots can appreciate it.

Yes it would be good to reminisce a little. Maybe the thread could be titled something along the lines of "Greatest memories or teams or matches etc etc"

But they were a pretty good side to watch weren't they. People with a general love of the game should be able to talk about any team from yesteryear. But it seems it all comes back to supporting just one team.

Latest posts