What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A timeout with Stuey - Official Site/Wasteland

millersnose

Post Whore
lol a rare thing - a good thread

top 8 would be good but i still think we dont have the players to really do much better

a club "freak"(as reefy put it} in the outside backs and a ball playing second rower is missing

Frenzy

Juniors
millersnose said:
lol a rare thing - a good thread

top 8 would be good but i still think we dont have the players to really do much better

a club "freak"(as reefy put it} in the outside backs and a ball playing second rower is missing

We have some potential freaks in Simmo, Aitken and Pelo as a tryscoring freak - but are any of them ready?

That pass Simmo threw vs the Knights last year was no fluke - he has the skill. So does Aitken and Pelo averaged close to a try a match in the Qld Cup last year - that's a fair strike rate in any comp.

The thing with Vagana is he might even be forced into 5/8 because of the potential talent around him.

Oh and here's another smokey for 5/8 - J Kent.

SirShire

First Grade
There is unlimited potential in this team and I pray that they rip it in 04.

I hope Birdy produces some class footy, I don't mind him as a player.

Jimbo

Immortal
The son of a Stain George legend said:
the rest of the time I’ve lived in the Shire and I wouldn’t envisage living
anywhere else in Australia.

“I’ve travelled and seen the world but coming back here is like coming back to paradise.”

Suck on that Dimitri!!

:lol:

DJDL

First Grade
I'm with reefy

When Frenzy starts saying things like that, it's a sure sign this place has gone to the dogs - if you'll pardon the pun in light of the Vagana reference
;-) ;-)

Seriously though I havean't seen him play five eighth but it sounds like a goer.
That is definitely one thing missing from this season, someone to take the pressure off Noddy.

Having said that, I'd be more than happy for one of the young guys to stand up and make the position his, and leave Vagana out in the centres where we had major problems this year.

It's definitely shaping up as a good season though. And I'm happy to say I am back in the country to witness it, and even happier to say I missed the majority of 2003!!! ;-)

Don, I can asure you , unless you like going to the dentist you didn't miss anything this year........ :lol:

Shark

Bench
millersnose said:
a ball playing second rower is missing

What about we mould Hilder into this role, Millers?

He has proven that he has good ball playing skills, he's pretty quick, and with some work his short range kicking game could improve. While he is already a reasonably big lad, he's still growing, so we can look forward to a bit more height and bulk too. That may help him develop a McKenna/Fletcher style offload if he can manage to stay standing in tackles a bit longer.

He has also proved to be versatile, so a switch from lock to 2nd row would be pretty easy for the kid.

Certainly one of the bright lights for 2003, I reckon he could be a match winner for us if he's given more of a role in the set plays.

Frenzy

Juniors
Shark said:
millersnose said:
a ball playing second rower is missing

What about we mould Hilder into this role, Millers?

He has proven that he has good ball playing skills, he's pretty quick, and with some work his short range kicking game could improve. While he is already a reasonably big lad, he's still growing, so we can look forward to a bit more height and bulk too. That may help him develop a McKenna/Fletcher style offload if he can manage to stay standing in tackles a bit longer.

He has also proved to be versatile, so a switch from lock to 2nd row would be pretty easy for the kid.

Certainly one of the bright lights for 2003, I reckon he could be a match winner for us if he's given more of a role in the set plays.

Dunno about reefy but I'm not against it IF Waltzing can get over his weight problem. i.e he has trouble keeping the kilos on. His playing weight last year was 96kg, not big enough for the 2nd row these days IMO, and he struggled to keep it that high.

We've already got midget Nutley there and he's 100kg at his playing weight.

I think everything else you say has merit though Shark

Shark

Bench
Yeah, I see where you're coming from with the weight thing Frenzy - He has this problem of looking 'fat' when he bulks up too. Not a good look.

My only thoughts there are that he is still very young, once he leaves puberty behind for good he'll toughen up I think, meaning he will get the natural bulk of a hardened 2nd rower. Bit like guys like Mellor and McKenna when they were 19 or 20. Skinny little runts, but they bulked quickly once they got beyond their 22nd-23rd birthdays.

bluemazda

Juniors
i have a copy of the 1994 grand final game that the sharks won and they had peachey and co in the side i like the way stuey,s game plans play like heaps better than that crap flat attack

Frenzy

Juniors
Shark said:
Yeah, I see where you're coming from with the weight thing Frenzy - He has this problem of looking 'fat' when he bulks up too. Not a good look.

My only thoughts there are that he is still very young, once he leaves puberty behind for good he'll toughen up I think, meaning he will get the natural bulk of a hardened 2nd rower. Bit like guys like Mellor and McKenna when they were 19 or 20. Skinny little runts, but they bulked quickly once they got beyond their 22nd-23rd birthdays.

Hope so mate. :)

In 2002, Hilder stacked on some weight and had knee injury problems.

He could be an answer for the lock position, certainly has better defence than Bird at this stage.

sharknows

Bench
I think 2004 is looking veeeeery good. We have a huge go forward pack thanks to CA and a very smart set of backs, and in my opinion the best teamplayer halfback in the world. 5/8 is a question mark but I would rather see Vagana in the centre as this is where he is strongest and build up our 5/8 from existing talent. I have heard that the atmosphere amongst the players is very high at present and from what I have heard from Stuart Raper all I can say is that I'm impressed. I thought Anderson should have been given the final year of his contract, but that was not to be, and whilst the club might be in some trouble in that regard, I really look forward to seeing the sharks being unbeatable at Shark park again. Maybe our time is approaching....

Frenzy

Juniors
Hey Shark and others

Matty doesn't look to have put much on in this recent picture :?

Season%20Seat%202004.jpg

cheese

Bench
haha ...

f**k, i could almost take him ............oO wait, no i couldnt

btw, that logo looks awesome on that banner for some reason, its more skyish

beerboy

Juniors
whats with Matt Hilder wearing the old home jersey
i was hoping to see the Away one with the new logo, or if it has the new (crappy) collar

ali

Bench
Frenzy said:
Who is the likely 2nd kicking option in a likely 2004 Sharks side anyway?

Gotta be Aitken, if picked. He's got a pretty deft boot close to the line, a great spiral bomb and is a master of the Andrew Johns outside of the boot chip. Potentially I think he will have a better attacking kicking game than Kimmorley, if not already.

Otherwise Peachey. I don't think Vagana has much of a kicking game.

Latest posts