What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A timeout with Stuey - Official Site/Wasteland

cheese

Bench
RAPER MORE THAN READY FOR THE CHALLENGE AHEAD
By Rob Willis

Only those who have been hidden away in a cave, far, far away from newspapers, radio and television would be unaware that a
coaching change has taken place at the Cronulla-Sutherland
Sharks.

After 2002-2003 coach Chris Anderson and the Sharks board failed to resolve their
differences, a former player for the club, a past lower grades coach and, using his words,
a born and bred ‘Shire boy’, has been given the responsibility as Sharks head coach for
the 2004 season.

Stuart Raper has been handed the opportunity in the top job and is ready, able and very
willing to give it his best shot.

“I don’t know if it’s a dream come true coaching Cronulla but it’s been a personal goal for
some time to be the head coach here,” Raper said. “It’s great that now I’ve got the opportunity.”

Son of St George legend Johnny, born and raised a torpedo punt or two from Toyota Park,
Raper is a local through and through. No question he is excited about the challenge that
lies ahead, but his broad smile could have something to do with the fact that Raper is also
pleased to be home.

“I was born at Sutherland Hospital. I’ve lived here all my life apart from a few years I
spent in Newcastle when dad coached there, plus there have been the few years we’ve
had in England. But the rest of the time I’ve lived in the Shire and I wouldn’t envisage living
anywhere else in Australia.

“I’ve traveled and seen the world but coming back here is like coming back to paradise.”

When Raper’s playing career ended prematurely as a 27-year-old, he turned his attention
to coaching. First port of call was the NSW South Coast fishing town of Eden.

“I was getting frustrated that the footy career wasn’t going the way I wanted,” he said.
“I played under 18’s for NSW but the career didn’t go the way it could’ve or should’ve.
I did my knee the week after making my first grade debut at the Sharks. But that’s life
sometimes.”

So Raper headed south and as captain coach in 1992 guided Eden to their first club
championship and Group 16 Grand Final victory in 15 years.

Then it was back to the Sharks where he guided a team that included David Peachey and
Dean Treister to an under 21’s premiership. He served a couple of years under John Lang
as the reserve grade coach before receiving the invitation to coach in England, firstly for
Castleford, then at the club often spoken about as the richest in Rugby League, the Wigan
Warriors. In four seasons he took the Castleford Tigers from also-rans to being competitive,
while in three years at the helm coached Wigan to a Challenge Cup win in 2002.

“The President’s Cup in 1994 and 1999 at Cas (Castleford) were probably the most enjoyable
years as a coach. The Sharks 21’s was a great side,” Raper remembered. “We lost the first
game, drew the second one, didn’t even win a trial game. Then we went on to win the comp
without losing another match.”

While the newly appointed Sharks coach is understandably looking forward to what 2004
will bring, he harbors a degree of sympathy for the man he will replace. Raper knows all
about the cutthroat nature of coaching in the big leagues, having only recently been relieved
of his position at Wigan.

He recognises the quality squad Anderson has put together and can’t wait to put his personal
touch on the group.

“Chris (Anderson) had his supporters as well as his enemies. But the thing is the player
personnel here is very strong. The base is there to go forward,” Raper said. “After working with
the boys for the past five weeks I’m quite excited about the prospects.”

But the question must be asked, just what type of coach is Stuart Raper? Can Sharks
fans expect an excitable, pacing the sidelines, John Lang-type, or maybe a coach resembling
a poker faced Wayne Bennett sitting calmly in the grand stand? Does he have a style of play
his teams can be characterised by? Where does he believe his coaching strengths lie?

“I’ve never been one to hide my emotions. I do get excited,” he explained his game day persona.
“I think passionate is probably the word. I’m very passionate about what I do but obviously I’ve
got to keep my head with the decision making within the game situation.

“I put a lot of thought into what I do and I’m very hard working. I put a lot of hours in.”

Well documented has been the flat style of attack favoured by outgoing coach Anderson.
What of Raper’s particular style of play?

“The way I coach and the way I see the play wouldn’t be categorised into any particular style.
I’m big on developing individual skills. I like to work with the individual and to try to mould
your pattern to suit your individuals.

“It’s no use creating a style if it’s not natural to the player. I don’t like to change a player’s
game. I like to try to bring out his natural ability and work on his strengths.

“I’m very much a skills oriented coach. Obviously strength, size and speed is a big thing.
That’s the department of your conditioner and your physio. They work hard on that.

“The two things I work on very hard is preparing sides for the games but also working with
the individual to improve their game and to give them every opportunity to achieve their
potential. Skill development, awareness, confidence and all those little aspects are what
I’ll try to work on with the individual and that will help the team out.”

Raper inherits a team that for one reason or another, last year failed to reach their potential.
It is a squad however with a mix of experience and youth that promises bigger and better
things in 2004.

“I’ve watched a lot of tapes, both Premier league and first grade games. I wanted to be aware
of what all the guys could do. While I’ve got an idea of what they can do, a lot of players could
be, and should be, different players to what they are.

“I’m excited about working with them because I’ve seen what they can do.”

While the regular faces on the sidelines, assistant Greg Pierce, conditioner Simon Gillies,
and the like, will make up Raper’s football support staff, also lending the new coach a helping
hand away from the paddock will be his wife Kathy and two children Jake and Maddison.

“They’re great supporters,” Raper said of his family. “Obviously I’ve taken them with me all
around the world. But I don’t like to get them too involved in the footy, especially in the emotional
side of things.”

And for the time being at least there are no more Raper’s ready to come through the rugby
league ranks.

“No I haven’t got any rugby league players at this stage. My daughter is a gymnast, and
Jake is a soccer player. At the moment they’re all still trying to get the British accent out of
their system.”

Raper appears to be under no misapprehensions. He knows it will be a tough task but he
genuinely looks excited by what lies ahead. The local boy has landed back in the Shire and he
might just turn out to be the perfect man for the job.

cheese

Bench
Ol' nuff Stuey is really startin' to grow on me....

Im loving his emphasis on individual skills, because imo, its one of the key area's that let us down last/this year........

He might teach Bird how to pass, and Beatts how to catch....hence might

“It’s no use creating a style if it’s not natural to the player. I don’t like to change a player’s game. I like to try to bring out his natural ability and work on his strengths. "

Music to my ears.

:D :D :D :D :D

Frenzy

Juniors
There's one thing about Nuff that makes me feel a bit sorry for him.

I can't help feeling that he may well of expected to get the job at a time when most of his '94 Presso's side was still at the club.

When he finally gets a run they aren't together. Without looking into it too far I think Peachey may be the only one left from that side.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I think you can read further.

But it is exactly what I said two years ago & why he was the right choice then.
The jury was out with me, with Raper & this new bunch. But in 5 days, he has done more for the club than the last 2 years altogether.

If he translates that into a top 8 spot, I will be estatic.

With the squad that has been assembled I would not be satisfied with anything outside top 4. We have a favourable draw and tremendous depth now. Class players scattered in the backs and forwards......Early on I'm sure we will catch a few sides unawares who won't realise the talent in some of the juniors coming through into first grade.

Impressive start from Stuart........long way to go.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
ShireShark said:
blacktip-reefy said:

Top 8? That's a bit pessimistic.
I think, realistic.
A spot in the 8 is what we should be able to acheive.
The squad is a long way from top 4 however, that is too big of a jump, or should I say, high of a jump.
No, top 8 is realistic, & anything less will mean lot's of injuries or wrong strategies.

There are still some positions that need strengthening over the coming seasons.
If Vags can't produce at 5/8, then that is a big hole.
We don't have "that " back rower either.
& we don't have a club "freak"(unless peach time warps).

I am also wondering if Russo has played 5/8 or was he alwyas in the forwards?

Fran sancisco

Juniors
I can't waite for 2004. Stuey is a Cronulla boy who knows the area and the natural style that is Cronulla Sutherland. As we all know CA was brought in to get us a premier ship, he failed for 3 reasons.
1. He is not a shark, he is a bulldog. He was too nitty gritty and too angry for the Cronulla job. Raper is a shark, laid back compromising and definately more media friendly.
2. His personality was one that appeared grumpy, uncompromising and he played favourites. This was not liked by both the board and the fans. Stuart uis well liked in the area and is mates with most of the board.
3. His style of play was too hard to adjust to. After 8 years of running from deep with langy, Cronulla has to play the flat style. A totally different ball game. Also he didnt have the players to pull off the style successfuly. At Melbourne he had these fowards;
Nikau
Lazzo
Kearns
Howe
Swaine ect. Our fowards are smaller, more nuggety plqyers. Not monsters like howe and Lazurus. Meaning our pack could never get that roll on that his style depended on.
His stint was terrible. He threw out Sharks favourites like Nick Graham and Treister, Not to mention he threw out Preston, the previous Dally M winner. He cost the club $15,000 and led them to the clubs worst ever effort, a 74-4 thrashing from the mediocre at best Eels. Why the F#@! did we hire him in the first place? It was destined for failure from the first rumours in june 2001.
I am glad Stuey has been appointed so we can move on after grumpy arsed ando neartly destroyed us. His blonde hair and southerland shire ways will take us away from the foot and upward to the pinacle of the competition for years to come and we will taste premier ship glory soon. Not this year, but maybee 2006.

Fran sancisco

Juniors
I can't waite for 2004. Stuey is a Cronulla boy who knows the area and the natural style that is Cronulla Sutherland. As we all know CA was brought in to get us a premier ship, he failed for 3 reasons.
1. He is not a shark, he is a bulldog. He was too nitty gritty and too angry for the Cronulla job. Raper is a shark, laid back compromising and definately more media friendly.
2. His personality was one that appeared grumpy, uncompromising and he played favourites. This was not liked by both the board and the fans. Stuart uis well liked in the area and is mates with most of the board.
3. His style of play was too hard to adjust to. After 8 years of running from deep with langy, Cronulla has to play the flat style. A totally different ball game. Also he didnt have the players to pull off the style successfuly. At Melbourne he had these fowards;
Nikau
Lazzo
Kearns
Howe
Swaine ect. Our fowards are smaller, more nuggety plqyers. Not monsters like howe and Lazurus. Meaning our pack could never get that roll on that his style depended on.
His stint was terrible. He threw out Sharks favourites like Nick Graham and Treister, Not to mention he threw out Preston, the previous Dally M winner. He cost the club $15,000 and led them to the clubs worst ever effort, a 74-4 thrashing from the mediocre at best Eels. Why the F#@! did we hire him in the first place? It was destined for failure from the first rumours in june 2001.
I am glad Stuey has been appointed so we can move on after grumpy arsed ando neartly destroyed us. His blonde hair and southerland shire ways will take us away from the foot and upward to the pinacle of the competition for years to come and we will taste premier ship glory soon. Not this year, but maybee 2006.

cheese

Bench
From what ive read, he was predominately a front rower at schoolboy level, but at only 100kegs, he'd be more of backrower you'd think these days.

His brother jamie is a pretty blardy good ball player though, so maybe it runs in the family.

just dug up this article from his local rag, seems like a good bloke. Hope he isnt one of those guys that is constantly hampered by a dicky knee though. Once you blow one, its pretty hard to get it right again.

Russo to bring big bite to Sharks
Coast export backs coach and prepares to make his mark
THE Sharks may be a club in crisis, but for 19-year-old Michael Russo a move to Cronulla next year offers an opportunity to kick-start an NRL career that almost ended before it really began.
The former Nambour and Maroochydore junior made a dramatic entrance to the NRL with Melbourne last year, narrowly escaping death in a serious car accident in April.
Then, against the odds, he returned to form to earn the Storm's Rookie of the Year award and a place in the Queensland Emerging Origin squad, only to tear his cruciate knee ligament playing in Cairns in October.
The resulting knee reconstruction has seen Russo play just four matches this season for the Storm's Queensland Cup feeder club Norths.
And when Cronulla offered him a two-year deal it not only presented an opportunity to make his mark in the back row of a developing Sharks forward pack, but also the chance to move on from the injury-riddled period that has already cruelled his career.
He said Melbourne had presented him with an offer to stay but a more relaxed lifestyle near the beach in Cronulla was another attraction that would see him starting at a new club.
Russo said this week's heavily publicised turmoil surrounding Sharks coach Chris Anderson's call to club management to "sack me or back me'' was an issue for the management and not one the players wanted to be drawn on.
"I've spoken to a few of the boys and all of the players are behind Chris.
I'm not really fussed with it, playing at Cronulla gives me a new opportunity to play in a side with a good mix of youth and experience and make my mark in First Grade,'' the former Australian schoolboys captain said.
At Cronulla Russo will also be closer to older brother Jamie, who has signed for another one-year deal with South Sydney.
Jamie returned to first grade as halfback for Souths against Melbourne last week, and has retained his place for this weekend's clash with the Bulldogs.
Russo admitted to still feeling his way back into regular football competition but said each week was an improvement.
"I was a bit nervous and scratchy in my first game back for Norths, and I still am sometimes.
Norths can't make the finals this year so I'm just trying to work on a few individual things,'' he said.
"The knee's getting there, but it takes a while.
I'm looking forward to having a big rest in the off-season and then have a really big preseason next year.
"I'm just hoping to try and blend in at Cronulla.''

beerboy

Juniors
actually i'd be willing to call our very own Player of the Test Series Brett Kimmorley a freak, and Vagana as well

ali

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
ShireShark said:
blacktip-reefy said:

Top 8? That's a bit pessimistic.
I think, realistic.
A spot in the 8 is what we should be able to acheive.
The squad is a long way from top 4 however, that is too big of a jump, or should I say, high of a jump.
No, top 8 is realistic, & anything less will mean lot's of injuries or wrong strategies.

There are still some positions that need strengthening over the coming seasons.
If Vags can't produce at 5/8, then that is a big hole.
We don't have "that " back rower either.
& we don't have a club "freak"(unless peach time warps).

I am also wondering if Russo has played 5/8 or was he alwyas in the forwards?

Blacktip we just have to be patient with the 5/8 position. We have the first choice 5/8 in Australia at under 19 level and the first choice at under 18 level in Bird and Aitken. I'm sure you've barely seen Aitken play, but you should believe myself and Popper when we say this kid is right off the top shelf. Injuries will be the only thing stopping him going a long way in the game. Vagana is not a 5/8.

As for Russo, if he can get over his injuries I think he could be awesome.

The Popper

Bench
Spot on, Ali. And Nutley says Aitken is the best ball player he has ever seen too. If he can build up a bit I recockon he'll be a ripper.

On the Sharks this year, I'm looking for a premiership. Anderson said he'd do it in three, but wasn't allowed to. The baton's been passed to Stuey so I'm looking to him to bring home the bacon.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Actually, Vagana was a 5/8.
& the best game he has played since the 5 try match, was at 5/8.

Aitken I have seen & I wasn't overly impressed, but they could have just been average days. The team was well beaten on both occasions.
Size is irrelevant if you can play. Just ask Presto or penrith.

Greg Bird??!!
It is going to have to be a strong southerly to swing me on that one.

Aries

Bench
cheese said:
Ol' nuff Stuey is really startin' to grow on me....

Im loving his emphasis on individual skills, because imo, its one of the key area's that let us down last/this year........

He might teach Bird how to pass, and Beatts how to catch....hence might

well, I'll be buggered!!

Hope you keep those thoughts next year...

Frenzy

Juniors
I'm with reefy, Vagana was a 6 before he was a centre and played nearly all his junior football as a 5/8. Was graded as a 5/8. I'd be worried that he offers nothing by way of a general kicking option though, however that could be simply because he didn't need to elsewhere.

Aitken's may not be ready. Bird has so far been acopic. This is a year we must do well in - the experimentation level needs to be low.

One bloke with the skills, who may be able to use them under Raper is Matty Hilder. We know he can offload, we know he can tackle and has size. We know he has a kicking game as evidenced by his grub and chase for himself last year down at Toyota.

And my out of left field option which I have liked and talked about for years at different times is Peachey. Put a speedy bloke back as custodian and let Peach orchestrate the right field attack and put Noddy left field.

Whoever is 5/8 is gonna need support from Noddy who is gonna have to spend time on his defensive technique and not be hidden in defence

Who is the likely 2nd kicking option in a likely 2004 Sharks side anyway?

The backline has got to come from this lot

Peachey, Simmons, Merritt, Rieck, Franze, Kent, Pelo, Vagana, Emelio, Ross, Goodwin.

The halves from this lot

Bird, Hilder, Aitken, Dallalana, Kimmorley, Sullivan, Vagana.

There's many good possible combos there but which will be best inn terms of skill, speed, defensive capability, confidence, experience etc etc