What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A very real possibility...Thoughts?

Eelementary

Post Whore
With our star five-eighth John Morris out for the start of the season, someone else has a chance to step up - be it Green, Smith, Perenara or Wagon.

My question is this: IF this mystery stand-off out-performs John morris and IF he makes Tim Smith more comfortable than Good Ol' John did....What would happen to Johnny?

Surely, if this pivot was clearly head and shoulders a better partner to Smith, he'd be retained. But where would we play Johnny then?

Bear in mind it's a hypothetical - I'm not saying the mystery man will out-play Johnny. Merely bringing up the point as to what would happen if he did. Because for all my criticism of Johnny as a 5/8, he's still a class player.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I didn't think of that lol.

I reckon he'd make a good lock - he's got the defence, he's tough, he's strong and he has skills to boot.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Green, Smith Peranara ??

What about Delaney ?

and don't mentions Wags

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well from what I've heard they're thinking of Delaney as more of a second rower or centre...

But he could be thrown into the mix too I guess!

And I mentioned Wagon because...Let's face it...He has played 5/8 and if an experienced 5/8 is what the coach wants, then Wagon would be the first player chosen...

Although I think Wagon will be lock, and Green, Perenara, Smith and possibly Delaney will wear the number 6 until Morris gets back.

strider

Post Whore
eelz47 said:
lock, or get the bench extended to have 6 player on it

:lol: ... if we were the Roosters I'm damn sure we'd lobby the NRL to change the rules so we could have a 6 man bench or they'd threaten to sue us :lol:

Pazza

First Grade
Just admit it Eelementary, you dont like John Morris at 5/8 at all.

IMO there is no one at Parra that comes close to johnny at the pivot position. The great part now is that he is turning into a leader. We need leaders in key positions directing this side.

Parra Guru

Coach
I''ll admit I don't like him there either and I'd be happy for one of the younger blokes to get a run - providing they work well with Tim Smith.

eeladdick

Juniors
dont get carried away this is just a hypathetical question after all,
me probally delaney would shine
then utilise jm at lock

j-boog

Juniors
There are all ecxiting players i am looking forward to seeing who will play 5/8ht for the season now that John Morris is out. They need good kicking game and lots of try assists in them to make it work.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Pazza said:
Just admit it Eelementary, you dont like John Morris at 5/8 at all.

IMO there is no one at Parra that comes close to johnny at the pivot position. The great part now is that he is turning into a leader. We need leaders in key positions directing this side.

I'm not crazy about Morris at five-eight, but I do rate him as a player.

And the question, regardless of whether I rate him or not, is still a legitimate concern - if his stand-in performs better than him...Then where to for him?

shaun

Juniors
i think Morris would make a much better lock. Had a super 1st year at 5/8 but played more of a lock role anyway. Plenty of hit ups and great defence. hew would be great attacking lock.

i think Green is seen as future 5/8. i hope he can fufill his potential.

yy_cheng

Coach
This is a good hypothetical.

Last year, Wade regained his fullback spot even though Joel played extremely well.

If this is Brian's pattern, then Morris will be moved straight back in to 5/8th after maybe 1 or 2 games in PL when fit. The team dynamics have not changed and Timmy's combo with him is quite good.

If Morris has 2 or possibly 3 shocker games when back, then the replacement 5/8th will get his shot and it will be up to Morris to win it back.

Otherwise, he will be stuck in PL

bartman

Immortal
:lol: A hypothetical part n+1...

If whoever starts as five-eighth performs that much better tha John Morris did last year in combination with Tim Smith, then Morris coming back from injury would come through permier league and compete for the PJ bench spot (hooker/halves), or cover for lock or for whoever is playing five-eighth.

All it takes is one injury and Morris would be back in the line-up. For the record I think Brian will end up picking Wags at Five Eighth to start Round One... ;-)

That's the beauty of having so much depth. With Joel/Wade, that was Reddy's first taste of First Grade, so it was probably Brian's temporary "blooding" with Wade always having the claim on the position when he returned. If that were to happen this year though, perhaps Reddy would be left there?

spiderdan

Bench
bartman said:
All it takes is one injury and Morris would be back in the line-up. For the record I think Brian will end up picking Wags at Five Eighth to start Round One... ;-)

That's the beauty of having so much depth. With Joel/Wade, that was Reddy's first taste of First Grade, so it was probably Brian's temporary "blooding" with Wade always having the claim on the position when he returned. If that were to happen this year though, perhaps Reddy would be left there?
joel was being mentioned as our long term fullback for a bit but now timana jnr (jarryd hayne) looks like he will be competing for the spot as well.

Jodeci

Bench
U can cancel Marcus as he is still out for another 4 weeks so he will not be ready or fit to start the season

eloquentEEL

First Grade
here's another thought from left field... didn't Burt play his juniors in the halves before coming to Parra?

he's got a great running game and a decent long kicking game. just not too sure about his vision, but wouldn't mind seeing an experiment with him at 5/8 for maybe one or two quarters during one of the trials.