What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABC Coast FM Top 20 Names List!

DIEHARD

----
The brand new Gold Coast NRL Team is on the hunt for a new name - and they want to hear from you!

ABC Coast FM has been inundated with suggestions and judges have brought the total down to twenty, and now it's up to you to vote for your favourite. The two judges were selected because of their marketing experience, and because they have no affiliations with the bid team.

"It has been difficult to go through all the names and to choose twenty. Some of the names are absolutely incredible…We had to look at the mascot side as well, and the imagery, because we need a name that looks good on T-Shirts," Karen Phillips says, "We’ve actually been in here calling out every name in unison, and I’ve been doing a bit of a pom-pom dance to see how it would look out there in the stadium".

"As a fella, I’m looking for names that don’t have furry animals attached to them. Remember when the Brisbane Bears started out in Carrara they had a furry koala, and it was almost a joke amongst the other teams. As a bloke I want to sit in the stands and yell out something tough," says Wayne Hickson, "We had to look for a name that would sound good in a crowd…It has to look good in a headline…It’s got to have longevity, in a hundred years time we want this name to be out there and still have meaning."

A number of popular suggestions (Griffins, Nuggets, Stingrays) didn’t make the cut with the judges, "We thought Griffins needed an explanation, a mythological beast, we looked for names that didn’t require an explanation."

There’s a little nostalgia, a lot of marine life, and a host of other names ready for your vote, so choose carefully, and vote right now!
2 judges with marketing experience? :lol:

Flatheads? Braves? Generals? Coasters?

Stallions isn't an option as we already have the Broncos, didn't they teach them at marketing school it isn't good to have two competing organisations with nearly the same logo? The NRL wont allow it! Wasted position that couild have gone to another name

Same goes for Hammerheads. That is another one that is useless.

Chargers? Giants? Obviously these twits know nothing about the new Gold Coast team and the Bid team behind it, they have said several times that they wont touch the old names! Strike up another two wasted slots. :rolleyes:

If these marketing genius' paid any attention they would realise that Orcas is the name of the Wellington bid, who are still trying to get into the NRL. After the Redcliffe fiasco, the bid team will not want to go near any other potential scandels. As if upon getting into the competition you'd then turn around and steal a competing bids logo. Disgraceful, another wasted position.

So we can't have Griffins or Gryphons because everyone is too dumb to know what they are? They are mythological eh? Well WTF do they think the Titans are!? Mythological evil gods from Greece! :x

Greek Mythology. One of a family of giants, the children of Uranus and Gaea, who sought to rule heaven and were overthrown and supplanted by the family of Zeus.

The rest of these names are pure garbage and some one must be taking the piss.

Or did someone forget about this little judging project, rock up to work on Monday and...

Roger: Hey Pete, work out that Gold Coast name judging?
Pete: Oh yea....that. (Looks around, takes a few steps towards the lunch room). I'll be right back....I...er....forgot my....pen.....cil.......case..... (Runs into toilet and scribbles out any sh*t off the top of his head, he doesn't give a sh*t he is a AFL fan anyway.)
Pete: (Comes out whistles casually.) Here we go! (Gives Roger the list)
Roger: Ah thanks, the Bid team will appreciate this. They really want to know what the public want and with your years of marketing experience and your finger is on the pulse of the Coast man....you are like a marketing guru. I bet you could even call the team something gay like.....um.....Gold Coast Flatheads and still pull it off. With your talent, this will be a slamdunk!
Pete: Can I have my list back for a tick? (Pete takes it and writes on Gold Coast Flatheads.... Genius....he thinks. I hope the Bombers win this weekend...)
Roger: (Roger reads the list....gazing his eyes carefully over each names. Letting them sink into his head before making a stunning realisation. He drops the piece of paper to his lap, stares blankly at the wall and exclaims.) THIS MAN IS A GENIUS!

A number of popular suggestions (Griffins, Nuggets, Stingrays) didn’t make the cut with the judges, "We thought Griffins needed an explanation, a mythological beast, we looked for names that didn’t require an explanation."

Personally I think the entire fiasco requires explaination! I don't think I have seen anyone flush their credibility down the toilet so fast, ever. A round of applause for ABC Coast FM. :clap:

Eelectrica

Referee
Braves is a ridiculous name for any Australian team. Coasters I don't mind but when I say Gold Coast Coasters, it gets a little clunky. Orcas is a name that shouldn't be on that list as the Wellington NRL bid team I think should have the reserve on that already.

I voted for Manta rays, but I don't understand why Stingrays wasn't on the list.

Come to think of it their a few names that don't belong on that list.

Disco

Bench
Eelectrica said:
I said Mantarays and stingrays (guess I have a thing for rays
lol.gif
)
I don't mind Stingers either.
i agree 100% Mantarays for mine

W.Smith

Juniors
I like Destroyers as a name and a marketing tool but what about the colours surely they wont go with the Orange an Teale i saw proposed

Gold Coast Destroyers

Yeah thats my vote

macavity

Referee
Gold Coast Gropers

Gold Coast Geckos

Gold Coast Crimson Tide

Its gunna end up being the Titans. the teal and orange titans. how masculine.

after all, they dont want to use 'mythology' or furry things...

what do I care, all the GC means is my team will come 16th and not attract any players.

Latest posts