What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABCTV Saturday afternoon Timeslot opens

The ABC has announced that it will cease to broadcast Women's Basketball on Saturday afternoons at 4pm...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/07/03/1214950952192.html?feed=fairfaxdigitalxml

ABC's head of sport and events, Iain Knight, said the ABC would not take money off women's football - the same stance as its deal with basketball and previously with netball.

He confirmed the changes to the basketball coverage, but said no decision had been made on which sport would get the 4pm timeslot.

Any chance for the NSW Cup to fill this spot?

I'd actually be pretty surprised if they swapped Women's sport for Rugby league... The article seems to suggest they were originally going to keep this slot open to broadcast some new Women's Soccer League - but that competition doesn't appear to have materialised.

the beavers

Juniors
i might be wrong (highly likely :) )
but the reason why the old premier league/1st div being televised on abc fell through is basically because if a player appeared on the abc he would be in breach of his contract with the nrl/fox/9
thats the talk i remember anyway.....possibly the same scenario now????

Brutus

Referee
i might be wrong (highly likely :) )
but the reason why the old premier league/1st div being televised on abc fell through is basically because if a player appeared on the abc he would be in breach of his contract with the nrl/fox/9
thats the talk i remember anyway.....possibly the same scenario now????

Yeah that's pretty much right.

Absolutely pathetic.

The AFL's broadcasters don't seem to mind when an AFL-contracted player appears in the VFL on the ABC.

Plenty of NRL contracted players appear in the QLD Cup as well.

I can't work it out.

the beavers

Juniors
i guess it shows how much control fox/news ltd has of the game
its a shame cause the abc would provide great coverage and would only serve to promote the game....esp if it was broadcast in WA etc

No, I don't think it has anything to do with NRL-contracted players appearing on the ABC - clearly NRL players appear in the Qld Cup without affecting the ABC's coverage of that competition...

From the discussions on here in the past I'm quite sure it was revealed that if the ABC wanted to show the competition, and the NSWRL wanted to sell them the rights (or, alternatively, pay them to show it) then they could. They weren't bundled with the NRL rights, and that the rights to broadcast NSWRL competitions were vested in the NSWRL themselves. After all, the NSWRL pays for their competitions to get air time on Foxtel.

There are a few people involved at board level with NSW Cup clubs who read these boards who have been involved in these discussions with the NSWRL and the ABC last time round... I believe it was a scheduling issue and the perrenial excuse that "Rugby league already gets enough air time..." :roll:

Perhaps those people could enlighten us?

2 True Blues

Coach
Womens basketball. That should rate highly.:sarcasm::crazy:

PS.... Though a Sunday afternoon time slot would be better ( unless they filmed live from Henson Park on the Saturday arvo's. LOl......;-)

"They" want to hide this comp away though most of the time IMO.

yappy

Bench
There are a few people involved at board level with NSW Cup clubs who read these boards who have been involved in these discussions with the NSWRL and the ABC last time round... I believe it was a scheduling issue and the perrenial excuse that "Rugby league already gets enough air time..." :roll:

Perhaps those people could enlighten us?

I've actually had email correspondence with the assistant to the head of sport at the ABC on this. They would only deal with the League directly, which is fair enough from their pov but basically screws us. The problems were lack of "resources" and "available time slots". Certainly she didn't indicate a lack of interest to cover league, but the implication was that the NSWRL would need to make the moves.

It would take a concerted push from the NSW Cup clubs to force the league into making a deal happen, but getting the clubs to agree what day it is is akin to herding cats. Even then the League will drag their feet and not do anything.

2 True Blues

Coach
I've actually had email correspondence with the assistant to the head of sport at the ABC on this. They would only deal with the League directly, which is fair enough from their pov but basically screws us. The problems were lack of "resources" and "available time slots". Certainly she didn't indicate a lack of interest to cover league, but the implication was that the NSWRL would need to make the moves.

It would take a concerted push from the NSW Cup clubs to force the league into making a deal happen, but getting the clubs to agree what day it is is akin to herding cats. Even then the League will drag their feet and not do anything.

Very true mate. They often struggle to keep their website updated with current results, let alone this though.

Also, I doubt the ABC would want to show the Union and then the League one after the other even though it is a Saturday arvo.

It would be great to see the NSW Cup on the telly every week, but we all know it aint going to happen.

Latest posts