What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About time to take a few old dogs out the back?

Packy

Bench
I guess one thing that Roberts has over Green is the ability to dominate a game. As you said itcan be few and far between and it isn't nearly consistant enough.

I dare say Roberts has more penetration at the line and has an ability to get quick play the balls away.

I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with you. Just playing Devils advocate.

jimmythehand

Juniors
Roberts has dominated one game in his entire career.

He stuffs up more games for us. His performance in the Dragons 'milkman' game was overshadowed by what happened at the end, but if you go back I think you'll find something like 3 forward passes and 4 knock ons. Imagine if we didn't have to contend with that. Then there was a game where he had that kick on the 1st tackle on the half way with a minute to go, I think the scores were level and we should have gone downfield for a field goal. I can't remember the number of times I've seen him make a break or half a break and drop the ball in the tackle.

I'm sure we could write a book about his monumental stuff-ups.

This year I'd say there weren't as many errors, but there was also no impact from him because he wasn't trying anything.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: at the stats comparison. Roberts 3 try assists to Green's 1 is a key stat IMO - Green would have far more if his fifth tackle options weren't terrible.

Roberts has the added advantage too of a season alongside Kimmorley. Much better player IMO. If you think Green at 5/8th is a solution to our problems I feel sorry for you, as I feel he's been a key factor in our recent string of losses.

jimmythehand

Juniors
it's actually 2 try assists to green I missed that stat out.

We don't get 5th tackle options with Roberts, he's already kicked by the 3rd tackle - Lord help our team if he's the player we turn to in order to guide the ship.

Can you imagine next year with Hodkinson and Keating, are we going to have the slowest halves combination in the comp?

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Given who they have signed, do you think Roberts can be used as a hooker interchange/backline sub or something next season off the bench. It does seem they have lost faith in him, though it's unfounded given he hasn't been on the field so much this year, and when he was, the whole team was inconsistent.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Given who they have signed, do you think Roberts can be used as a hooker interchange/backline sub or something next season off the bench. It does seem they have lost faith in him, though it's unfounded given he hasn't been on the field so much this year, and when he was, the whole team was inconsistent.

BTW are those stats of yours jimmy including Green's time off the bench as a second rower. I thought he performed very well in that role, and did make some of those stats you quoted there.

jimmythehand

Juniors
I really like the idea of Roberts as an interchange player - bit of an xfactor if things aren't going well as he can create something from nothing with his acceleration. yeah those stats are from all action this year.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Am I the only guy here who is not happy with the Keating signing? I mean... what gives? He seems average at best...

Timmah

Staff member
Thought we were talking about as a 5/8th?

It's 1 as a 5/8th.

jimmythehand

Juniors
it's interesting reading parra forums about keating. Some fans think he's a future super star of the game, and some agree that he is just average at best. Let's see how things turn out I guess ...

Timmah

Staff member
Good to see the boys stand up and be counted last night. Green was much better running the ball up than trying to direct play, was impressed by Barba and Ryan had a great game. Ennis' niggle probably went a long way to winning the game too.

We f**king won :D

Packy

Bench
Part of me is concerned.. We got dominated for over half the game.. then part of me is happy cos we defended well for the majority of it. Then I look at the attack they threw at us last night and I am concerned again.

I hope the win kick starts our confidence. We are better than we have been showing and I think our structure was much better last night.