What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC/DC Bon Scott V.s. Brian Johnson

Who was/is better?

• Bon Scott

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Brian Johnson

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I'm into rap music, I'm dumb, so I'll say Boz Scags!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

St. Brett

Juniors
220px-Brian_Johnson.jpg
V.s.
060710bonscott.jpg

A guy on the radio a couple months back said that by rights Brian Johnson shouldn't sing Bonn Scott's traditional AC-DC songs like it was breaking some sacred boundry or something.

I'm gonna add a poll to this thread to see who would win between the two.
Who was the better singer/performer?

It's just, I look at INXS and I reckon that new Canadian fella did no justice to that band.
So what's the go between Scott and Johnson do you think?

I was gonna do this thread and title it "Best AC-DC song" but there would have been too many to name off.

I asked a music store not long ago why AC-DC didn't release a 'best of' album but they couldn't answer my question for some reason.
I mean their albums are expensive to buy individually that is why I went to Westfield's Parramatta only recently to a store called Sanity where you can make your own records on a single disk for a price.
Got every song I wanted on one disk!
(I hate buying an entire album just for one song!)
I do however own Back In Black which is a masterpiece. (But it also has some crap songs on it that sound alike.)

Here's a list of what I'm currently listening to at the moment. (Songs you can't f**k with!)

Thunderstruck.
Jailbreak (this song was ahead of its time, wasn't it? The electrical guitar and drum work were ahead of its time I believe.)
Heatseeker (my second favorite song by AC-DC.)
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.
Rising Power (Good drum work, solid effort.)
T.N.T.
It's a long way To The Top. (Bagpipe work great! Get this b/pipe player against Jonathon whatshisname from Korn!)

And the standout songs on Back In Black.
Hells Bells (The Penrith Panthers death march entrance anthem)
Back in Black (I'm a bit disappointed in the obvious lyrics with this song.)
You Shook Me All Night Long.
Rock 'n roll Ain't Noise Pollution. (You just wanna sip a straight Jim Beam Black listening to this song, eh?)

And last but not least Brett Gaddes is here to tell you that the best ever AC/DC song out there, in my opinion, is Who Made Who! #1 song of all time in my opinion!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3kJJJ6Txw

The introduction to this song is one of the most smoothest out there! It's just so smooth like a malt drink! It individually reaches out to you and puts you on a different plain from the other AC-DC songs! It just takes you into a world that's so big that you can't grasp its monstrosity.
Nothing comes close to this one and it's miles ahead of the other offerings.

But I must say that I'm not a fan of any of their work past The 80's!

That last album and single where they're driving in a car in NY I didn't like.
(What was it, kick ya mother when you're down or something?)
AC-DC in my opinion are done and dusted.
I hope for their sake they don't release anything new anymore.
The old work is their best reference but I hate to pose the question of who's the better lead singer.
It's not a fair question really, is it?

St. Brett

Juniors
Matt23

But sometimes I look at the original lead singer and all I see is a drug user and a mean person.
Don't you see the grubby side of that guy?
The only thing I want to do with Bon Scott is hear his music that's all.
I don't care about who he was as a person or if he had kids 'n that.
He's not a person I would have associated with.
Even in death I look at him and hate everything about him.
He's a person I would have steered clear of and would want nothing to do with.

Matt, got something for you!
Since you're the first one to respond to my post you'll be my guest of honour in welcoming the new Death Skull into the world.
Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you, on Matt's behalf, Death Skull 2.

deathskulltwo.jpg

I dedicate this photo to Matt23.
Matt....I bet you're thinking.....I bet you think it's daring of me to share the DS2, right? You probably think I'm dangerous, like I'm living on the edge like Martin Riggs, or something right?
I guess everyday is kinda like X-box 2008 in my life, yer you're right.
I am the new X games daring champion of the world.
I take risks where other piss ants sh*t their pants.
I could climb the foothill mountains of Penrith and take a giant dump on the panfers.
How gnarly am I?

Speaking of Penrith....I sort of twist the lyrics to AC-DC's Jailbreak song when it comes on.
I replace lyrics with Penrith locations.
Example...I ain't spending my life here (penrith)...I ain't living alone.
I'm talkin' 'bout Parkkkkk'Lea!
I'm not spending my life here!
Parrrrkkkkkk'Leaaa, all in the name of liberty!

Halloween 3 for me!
36.gif

Matt23

Staff member
Bon Scott for all his faults was the better entertainer of the 2

simmo1

First Grade
Gotta agree with Parra there, 'Whole Lotta Rosie' is AC/DC's best work. Not only is Scott on top of his game with the vocals, its easily Angus's best guitar track. Brilliant.

Nuke

Staff member
AC/DC are, I believe, working on a new album ... or at least are going to soon. There was talk about that last year sometime, and I'm pretty sure there was mention of it either at the Bon Scott Celebration Concert here in Perth or in the lead-up to it. Great show, incidentally. Didn't get to go to this year's follow-up concert (where they unveiled the Bon Scott statue that 2007's concert raised the money for), but would've liked to have. Actually, I'm going to Fremantle on Sunday, so perhaps I'll come across the statue then.

To the topic at hand, I don't mind the Brian Johnson era. I love some of his AC/DC songs, but I find myself listening to more of Bon Scott's ones. 'Jailbreak' has grabbed me in recent months, but I would vote 'Highway To Hell' and 'It's A Long Way To The Top' as my favourites.

St. Brett

Juniors
Parra

My initial impression with that 'Let there be Rock' live version was it sounds like some Led Zeppelin rip off like whole lotta love!!!!!!!

Nuke sir

If you voted Hiway to Hell then you're a supporter of the Night Stalker Ricardo Ramirez of LA and stand for everything he believed in.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Bon.

Taking nothing away from Brian though, he also is a phenonamal performer.

Bon just had such unique charisma that could never be repeated. A kind of high-school boy "cheeky" persona. Which was reflected in his songs and performances.

Brian is just a singer.

But a fantastic one at that.

HevyDevy

Coach
I've voted Brian but here are my reasons:

1) I'm a metal fan and I love death vocals. Brian doesn't use death vocals but he does have that gravelly quality that appeals to me.

2) I just happen to prefer the Johnson-era albums. Tracks such as Who Made Who, For Those About to Rock, Sink the Pink, Danger, the entire Back in Black album, The Razor's Edge, Ballbreaker, Kissin' Dynamite etc etc.

All good.

2 True Blues

Coach
But the question is, would those more recent songs/albums have been better, if sung by Scott ( same song with different singer ?? ).

I'd say yes. But both were and are darn good to me.

Angus makes ACDC anyway.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well they would be pretty different.

But then again, it's hard to imagine Bon singing Brian's songs and vice versa.

I certainly couldn't imagine Bon singing a track like Who Made Who.

Latest posts