What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Clune

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
The point is his, why is Norman getting picked? In what way is he better than Clune? Defence has been debunked as a valid reason.
I wouldn’t say one stat totally debunks the myth. There are many factors involved including Hunt playing half one game with a broken leg, and another with a distinct lack of match fitness after a layoff. There are also factors like Clune not having to face the Rorters or Tigers, two games in which the team as a whole defended poorly. I would definitely have him ahead of Norman but I’d prefer Bird got an extended run or we give Amone a run because none of our halves have done much besides Hunt in the first couple.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The point is his, why is Norman getting picked? In what way is he better than Clune? Defence has been debunked as a valid reason.
IMO Norman posses a way stronger kicking game: the two huge kicks that he put downtown in the first half and pinned the Tigers on their goal line, i don’t believe Clune could carry out. Lomax has scored some good tries off well positioned Norman kicks, as well as Ramsey’s (Cows) and Bird’s (Roosters) disallowed ones. Better passing game, as i feel as he doesn’t push the pass at edge runners at the line as much as Clune does which leads to many errors. Better step of his left foot that can often beat the line; defensive attributes about the same, maybe slightly Norman (the above stats doesn’t debunk anything, its influenced in how many you do)!
Not saying i don’t think Norman couldn’t do way more (wish he would), just my opinion that i think he’s all round game is superior.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
I

I wouldn’t say one stat totally debunks the myth. There are many factors involved including Hunt playing half one game with a broken leg, and another with a distinct lack of match fitness after a layoff. There are also factors like Clune not having to face the Rorters or Tigers, two games in which the team as a whole defended poorly. I would definitely have him ahead of Norman but I’d prefer Bird got an extended run or we give Amone a run because none of our halves have done much besides Hunt in the first couple.
Given the current injury crisis in the backs Bird is needed there even though he has his own defensive issues. I’d definitely like to see Amone get a chance, his presence in the squad suggests he must be close.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Given the current injury crisis in the backs Bird is needed there even though he has his own defensive issues. I’d definitely like to see Amone get a chance, his presence in the squad suggests he must be close.
He’s ahead of Clune in our reserves. You would have to think Hook would have more insight into the players than any of us do so as you say he’s probably not far off although I’d like to see him in cup first for a few weeks.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As for Tackle Efficiency:

Hunt - 82.1% (rd1), 81.8% (rd2), 73.9% (rd3), 50% (rd8) = ave 72%
Clune - 80.8% (rd1), 92% (rd4), 73.1% (rd5), 81.6% (rd6), 92.3% (rd7) = ave 84%
Norman - 91.3% (rd2), 73.3% (rd3), 76.2% (rd4), 72.7% (rd5), 90.5% (rd6), 76.2% (rd7), 81.8% (rd8) = ave 80%

Hunt missed 11 tackles against the Tigers, unfit or unready for his return?

Kicks and Kicking Metres
Hunt - ave 9.5 kicks per game - ave metres per kick 30.4m
11/337 ave 30.6m (rd1), 8/251 ave 31.4m (rd2), 10/294 ave 29.4m (rd3), 9/275 ave 30.6m (rd8)
Clune - ave 4.2 kicks per game - ave metres per kick 35m
3/78 ave 26m (rd1), 6/228 ave 38m (rd4), 8/315 ave 39.4m (rd5), 3/74 24.7m (rd6), 1/40 ave 40 (rd7)
Norman - ave 11 kicks per game - ave metres per kick 32.1m
7/245 ave 35m (rd2), 11/337 ave 30.6m (rd3), 11/347 ave 31.5m (rd4), 10/354 ave 35.4m (rd5), 16/534 ave 33.4m (rd6), 16/409 ave 25.6m 9rd7), 6/246 ave 41 (rd8)

In saying all that Clune has a better tackle efficiency than Hunt or Norman, he also has better ave metres per kick than Hunt or Norman.

Mmmmm

True_Believer

Juniors
As for Tackle Efficiency:

Hunt - 82.1% (rd1), 81.8% (rd2), 73.9% (rd3), 50% (rd8) = ave 72%
Clune - 80.8% (rd1), 92% (rd4), 73.1% (rd5), 81.6% (rd6), 92.3% (rd7) = ave 84%
Norman - 91.3% (rd2), 73.3% (rd3), 76.2% (rd4), 72.7% (rd5), 90.5% (rd6), 76.2% (rd7), 81.8% (rd8) = ave 80%

Hunt missed 11 tackles against the Tigers, unfit or unready for his return?

Kicks and Kicking Metres
Hunt - ave 9.5 kicks per game - ave metres per kick 30.4m
11/337 ave 30.6m (rd1), 8/251 ave 31.4m (rd2), 10/294 ave 29.4m (rd3), 9/275 ave 30.6m (rd8)
Clune - ave 4.2 kicks per game - ave metres per kick 35m
3/78 ave 26m (rd1), 6/228 ave 38m (rd4), 8/315 ave 39.4m (rd5), 3/74 24.7m (rd6), 1/40 ave 40 (rd7)
Norman - ave 11 kicks per game - ave metres per kick 32.1m
7/245 ave 35m (rd2), 11/337 ave 30.6m (rd3), 11/347 ave 31.5m (rd4), 10/354 ave 35.4m (rd5), 16/534 ave 33.4m (rd6), 16/409 ave 25.6m 9rd7), 6/246 ave 41 (rd8)

In saying all that Clune has a better tackle efficiency than Hunt or Norman, he also has better ave metres per kick than Hunt or Norman.

Mmmmm

Those kick meters per game don't really tell you anything. Both Norman and Hunt average more kicks per game suggesting they are doing more of the short kicking game than Clune. You aren't gaining meters in those kicks so that's going to bring the overall average down.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If George Williams goes back to England, I can see Clune being looked at by Canberra. I can see Sticky working with Clune and they seem to like taking Dragons fringe players e.g Haavili. .

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Former Australian fast bowler Bill Johnston came in at number 11 and was considered possibly a limited batsman. Yet, he topped the Batting ‘averages’ in the 1953 Tour of England making a mockery of averages due to the limited times he got out.
There are too many factors at play when it comes to stats. Even tackle efficiency etc, Hunt may have made a few scrambling efforts on fullbacks which other players don’t even attempt, and he slows them enough for say a Dufty to complete the tackle but it still goes down as a miss or incomplete while the bloke that didn’t even give chase gets no statistical penalty. It is more the manner in which you miss the tackles and the importance of the tackle which stats will never tell the story. I know I have seen Hunt make a lot more trysavers than I have Clune.

It's Clune for me, every day of the week. He might need some polishing but there are a lot of positive aspects of his game. I think he takes the line on more often than Norman or Hunt, throws less hospital passes than Norman and dies with the ball less often, He also tries to link up with his edge forwards - I've seen some beautiful short passes to the likes of Host, Sims etc in the last couple of seasons that put them into space and lead to tries. I don't see Corey doing that, nor Hunt,.

Illusion

Bench
It's Clune for me, every day of the week. He might need some polishing but there are a lot of positive aspects of his game. I think he takes the line on more often than Norman or Hunt, throws less hospital passes than Norman and dies with the ball less often, He also tries to link up with his edge forwards - I've seen some beautiful short passes to the likes of Host, Sims etc in the last couple of seasons that put them into space and lead to tries. I don't see Corey doing that, nor Hunt,.
Said the same mate for the time he has had playing top grade for me he is ahead of both Hunt and Norman ..... Everyone seems to forget how bad Hunt has been pervious to his 3 good games this year ...... Glune to me is a typical 7 nothing flash about him but can control the team if given a good go ....

Last edited:

Eastview

Juniors
Clune is average at best, just a reserve garder. He doesn't have a quarter of the talent Norman does, I just wish Norman would use it more often

Clune is average at best, just a reserve garder. He doesn't have a quarter of the talent Norman does, I just wish Norman would use it more often

He's also on more than twice the coin and his contribution is approximately half that of Clune. Plus he's been here for two full seasons and failed to light up the paddock yet, so I can't the point of persisting with him.

Illusion

Bench
So is Norman ..... If Clune is as you say is a reserve grader , Then it doesn't say much about Norman when I would have a reserve grade player ahead of him .... Anyway each to their own opinions , lets just hope Norman does have a blinder today .....

Wittenberg

Juniors
Although I greatly admire Clune’s grit and persistence and some of Norman’s natural ability, if our future at 5/8 this year revolves around either of Clune or Norman, we are stuffed. Those advocating Amone should not forget he played SGBall last week. I would like to see him get a few runs from the bench this season but I don’t want to throw him to the wolves too early.

Although I greatly admire Clune’s grit and persistence and some of Norman’s natural ability, if our future at 5/8 this year revolves around either of Clune or Norman, we are stuffed. Those advocating Amone should not forget he played SGBall last week. I would like to see him get a few runs from the bench this season but I don’t want to throw him to the wolves too early.

Adam is a great backup and is capable of filling in where necessary but Sullivan/Amone will overtake Adam in the pecking order very soon.