What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advise on AFL Position

Agro

Juniors
I am looking at having a go at AFL next year. However the problem is I've never played before and am unsure on what position I'd suit.

A few details which may help are:
6'3
100 kg's
Quckest forward when playing league
Not the best at distance running (something I know I'll have to work on)
Have v.good ball skiils (catching)
Kicking (accuracy) could do some improvement
Very strong in defence (in league)

Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated, otherwise I'll be rocking up at the first training sesh without a clue on were to play.

Cheers

meltiger

First Grade
Agro said:
I am looking at having a go at AFL next year. However the problem is I've never played before and am unsure on what position I'd suit.

A few details which may help are:
6'3
100 kg's
Quckest forward when playing league
Not the best at distance running (something I know I'll have to work on)
Have v.good ball skiils (catching)
Kicking (accuracy) could do some improvement
Very strong in defence (in league)

Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated, otherwise I'll be rocking up at the first training sesh without a clue on were to play.

Cheers

Forward or Backmen, if kicking skills aren't up to scratch, I'd say a key defensive position. Not quite tall enough for CHB but you're not short either.

CyberKev

Staff member
Its hard to go purely off physical attributes, but if that's largely what we're working from, you do have the makings of a CHB. I don't think you necessarily have to be hugely tall to go well at CHB, and your 100kgs (I'm assuming this is mainly muscle, not fat) would work well given some CHFs like to play a physical game. I'm not sure about your vertical leap capability, as you could also play FB. Normally you would want to be a bit taller, but body strength and speed on the burst would be of greater significance, provided you could get a few extra inches off the ground when needed.

I would have thought that FF would have been the best option, except that you concede that kicking accuracy is a bit of a worry.

At any rate, your coach will have a look at you and make a decision on how you can best contribute to the side. Depending on the tall options at his disposal, it wouldn't surprise to see him use you as a hard tackling, running half back flanker.

Good luck with it.

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
I don't think you necessarily have to be hugely tall to go well at CHB,I would have thought that FF would have been the best option, except that you concede that kicking accuracy is a bit of a worry.

Disagree

CyberKev said:
At any rate, your coach will have a look at you and make a decision on how you can best contribute to the side. Depending on the tall options at his disposal, it wouldn't surprise to see him use you as a hard tackling, running half back flanker.

Yes, this was what I was thinking, I definately think he has the height to get into a position to punch the ball, with his League experience won't get pushed around physically, I just think 6"3 is too small for the spine - He's only 2 inches taller than me.

I was thinking FF too until I got to the kicking thing.

Altho the great man Richo still plays at full forward :D

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Yes, this was what I was thinking, I definately think he has the height to get into a position to punch the ball, with his League experience won't get pushed around physically, I just think 6"3 is too small for the spine - He's only 2 inches taller than me.

I was thinking FF too until I got to the kicking thing.

Altho the great man Richo still plays at full forward :D

Most AFL CHBs come in at 190-191cm, which would leave Agro an inch or two short, but we are talking AFL level. I think 187cm would generally be around the cut off point, assuming the player concerned is talented enough and has a good vertical leap.

It need be remembered that in lower leagues, you don't always get a welter of talls, and even if you do they may need to be used as smaller ruck types, or may not have the overall skills necessary to hold down a key position effectively.

HBF would appear the most likely option (given relative inexperience), but strength and pace may well compensate for lack of an extra inch or two depending on available tall timber and overall talent on hand.

FF? I suppose accuracy issues aren't always going to preclude coaches from setting you up in front of the sticks. Jade Rawlings would be hard pressed hitting an elephant's arse with a 2 kg bag of frozen peas, but that didn't stop the Hounds shelling out big bucks to get him across as their FF. :p

CyberKev

Agro

Juniors
Thanks for the feedback MelTiger & Cyber Kevm,appreciated!

I think I may look at a defensive position to start with, and then as my kicking improves I could have a go at FF. But as you said it depends on the coaches thoughts and the teams requirements.

Do the two of you play??

meltiger

First Grade
Agro said:
Do the two of you play??

I'd be willing to bet Kev is FAR too old ;-)

I played one year as a Half Forward Flanker - Quick and could kick 60 on the run without a sweat but played State Union so stuck that out till I was 16 rather than keep playing footy.

Kev has a fair point on the height issue not being so prevelant at local level I must admit.

meltiger

First Grade
Agro said:
HBF????

Excuse the ignorance, but what is HBF?

Half Back Flanker...........??

Basically, you have

BP.......FB..........BP
HBF.....CHB.......HBF
Wing....Centre...Wing
HFF......CHF.......HFF
FP........FF..........FP

Back Pcoket
Fullback
Half Back Flank
Centre Half Back
Half Forward Flank
Centre Half Forward
Forward Pocket
Full Forward

That's how they name the teams, never really reflects how they line up during a game though.

Agro

Juniors
meltiger said:
Agro said:
HBF????

Excuse the ignorance, but what is HBF?

Half Back Flanker...........??

Basically, you have

BP.......FB..........BP
HBF.....CHB.......HBF
Wing....Centre...Wing
HFF......CHF.......HFF
FP........FF..........FP

Back Pcoket
Fullback
Half Back Flank
Centre Half Back
Half Forward Flank
Centre Half Forward
Forward Pocket
Full Forward

That's how they name the teams, never really reflects how they line up during a game though.
My knowledge of Aussie Rules has just doubled, Thanks.

Do the coaches usually delegate a side (LorR) for the flankers and wings? or is that usually sorted out between the players?

CyberKev

Staff member
Agro said:
Thanks for the feedback MelTiger & Cyber Kevm,appreciated!

I think I may look at a defensive position to start with, and then as my kicking improves I could have a go at FF. But as you said it depends on the coaches thoughts and the teams requirements.

Do the two of you play??

Haha...

I'm not quite the veritable veteran that Craig makes me out to be, but its fair to say my footballing days occured a long time ago when the earth was green.

Ostensibly, I was a fleet-footed Winger cum HFF with a kick that lacked penetration, a penchant for shirking the defensive hard yards in favour of getting loose into a prime attacking position, and a marked tendency for leaving my best form (such as it was) on the training track 8)

Lets just say that I don't think the sport has suffered unduly on account of my early retirement...

I have no doubt you'll leave a far greater impression on your club :)

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
a penchant for shirking the defensive hard yards in favour of getting loose into a prime attacking position

:lol: :lol:

No wonder you're a Hawthorn supporter ;-) ;-) ;-)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Definately a backman, but probably not a key position, otherwise you can let in too many goals.

Unless you have a good drop punt, you may get away with being a forward, but you need to ba able to read the play, which takes a long time.

All due respect, it takes years to convert, I should know.

It only leaves one of the flank positions, which will give you a chance to find your feet.

One thing about AFL compared to NRL. When you have settled into a position in League, you tend to stay there.

In AFL you can play 2 or 3 different positions each game. Coaches tend to regularly change players around, depending on the opponent. If you've got some ability, your coach will find a spot for you.

I was a RL player from being a kid in Parramatta, I moved to Victoria, when I was 27. It took about 3 years to get the hang of the game, and I actually became a better AFL player than NRL player, becuase I was soo tall and I could jump and mark.

RL players tend to be stockier and closer to the ground.

PB

Bench
You will find the back line easier. We had a couple of ex-leagueies join our club this year. They played ressies and they found it easier to play in the back line as they didnt have to contend with learning about leads (when to go, how to lose an opponent, creating space etc...). On a flank you will basically be designated an opponent, who you have to stick with, and as you get a better feel for the game, learn to run off him and make him chase you up the ground.

Stormin Norman

Juniors
you'll most likely start at CHB (centre half bench) if ur not good at long distance running haha only joking. wit your size they will most likely give u a half fwd roll where ur oppentent cant give u a towling but u will change as u understand the game a bit better and learn the on filed play away from the ball thing as in leading your player away from the ball trying to get the better of them

Latest posts