What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advise on AFL Position

dougthelegend

Juniors
at the beginning of the game, the two ruckman line up on opposite sides of the centre square. After the ball is bounced, the ruckman run in and try and tap or palm the ball to their rovers.

Similar things happen at the around the ground bounces, as well as boundary throw ins.

Gneerally as ruckman are very tall, they also, depending on kicking accuracy, can play as a pinch hitting forward.

In rural leagues, height doesnt matter as much. Im barely 6 foot and managed to hold down a forward pocket role, kicking 30 goals in my debut season :8

meltiger

First Grade
dougthelegend said:
In rural leagues, height doesnt matter as much. Im barely 6 foot and managed to hold down a forward pocket role, kicking 30 goals in my debut season :8

You'll find Forward Pockets aren't exceptionally tall... The height is in the teams goal to goal line.

Hazy

Juniors
Agro - a ruckman is a follower, yes.

Along with the rover and ruck rover.

Might be a bit too late seeing it is now February, but I wouldn't worry too much about finding a 'set' position, I'd just concentrate on the skills.

Hey Craig - how are you? I'd begun to think you had fallen off the planet.

meltiger

First Grade
Hazy said:

:) Not on the net nearly as much anymore.

You still in Melbourne or back up in QLD these days?

Agro

Juniors
Hazy said:
Agro - a ruckman is a follower, yes.

Along with the rover and ruck rover.

Might be a bit too late seeing it is now February, but I wouldn't worry too much about finding a 'set' position, I'd just concentrate on the skills.

Cheers Hazy,

I have been training for a month or so now and have been targeted as a possible ruckman, hence the questiions regarding duties.

and yes I am concentrating on the skills rather than position at this stage. Kicking is coming along quite well and fitness is getting there also, still a few weeks away from the real test though (trials)

MutOofd

Juniors
Hi,

First of all a big hello to everyone since this is my first post.I have a similar question as the bloke who opened this thread. Due to relocation in the summer I'll be able to choose between a league team and an aussie rules team.Could you be so kind to give me some advise which code I should take on

I'm 21
6'2 ish
105 kgs
I Played soccer, RU, basketball but have been out of organised sports for over three years.
I'm a quite good long distance runner, explosive on the first 5m, but then overall quite slow on a short distance.
I have accuray up to 45 m with the ball.

Could you advise what to play and possibly what position?

CyberKev

Staff member
MutOofd said:
Hi,

First of all a big hello to everyone since this is my first post.I have a similar question as the bloke who opened this thread. Due to relocation in the summer I'll be able to choose between a league team and an aussie rules team.Could you be so kind to give me some advise which code I should take on

I'm 21
6'2 ish
105 kgs
I Played soccer, RU, basketball but have been out of organised sports for over three years.
I'm a quite good long distance runner, explosive on the first 5m, but then overall quite slow on a short distance.
I have accuray up to 45 m with the ball.

Could you advise what to play and possibly what position?

Welcome to the board, Old Son!

I dread having to say this, but looking at your dossier I'm thinking Half Back Flank (HBF).

The reason I dread saying it, is that it seems to me that the safe fall back option in cases like this always seems to be HBF.

For sure, Half Forward Flank could also be an option, although I tend to prefer players with a little more pace off the mark filling that role.

You clearly lack the height required for key position, particularly given that you're not overly experienced with the code.

For this reason I also wouldn't immediately think you could fill an inside midfield role. You would seem to have the body strength, height and stamina to play inside midfield, and a range of 45m would be perfectly acceptable, particularly in the lower levels. You really need great smarts and skills to fill inside midfield though.

So again we drift back to HBF.

Bugger me drunk, do you think I'd do my best Peter Schwab impersonation if I were a coach?!

I'd have a ruckman on the paddock, 2 inside midfielders, 2 KPP defenders, 2 designated HBFs and 11 players effectively filling ad hoc HBF roles. On the bench I'd have a back-up ruckman and 3 more HBFs, with a KPP wannabe and 2 more HBF types on the emergency list as back-up #-o

MutOofd

Juniors
:)
CyberKev said:
Welcome to the board, Old Son!

I dread having to say this, but looking at your dossier I'm thinking Half Back Flank (HBF).

The reason I dread saying it, is that it seems to me that the safe fall back option in cases like this always seems to be HBF.

For sure, Half Forward Flank could also be an option, although I tend to prefer players with a little more pace off the mark filling that role.

You clearly lack the height required for key position, particularly given that you're not overly experienced with the code.

For this reason I also wouldn't immediately think you could fill an inside midfield role. You would seem to have the body strength, height and stamina to play inside midfield, and a range of 45m would be perfectly acceptable, particularly in the lower levels. You really need great smarts and skills to fill inside midfield though.

So again we drift back to HBF.

Bugger me drunk, do you think I'd do my best Peter Schwab impersonation if I were a coach?!

I'd have a ruckman on the paddock, 2 inside midfielders, 2 KPP defenders, 2 designated HBFs and 11 players effectively filling ad hoc HBF roles. On the bench I'd have a back-up ruckman and 3 more HBFs, with a KPP wannabe and 2 more HBF types on the emergency list as back-up #-o

I saw my old post and wanted to do an update of my situation...

I actually started getting in shape and going to gym and things like that, so now i only weigh 94 kg anymore, i started playing gridiron and to say the least my explosivity skyrocketed, i have some official numbers now too

40 yd dash 4.90
vertical 33
bench 105 kg

I am actually still getting better in shape with the day:cool: , I'd still rather play afl but then again the learning curve seems so steep

meltiger

First Grade
MutOofd said:
I am actually still getting better in shape with the day:cool: , I'd still rather play afl but then again the learning curve seems so steep

The Learning curve in Aussie Rules is steeper than American Football?!

American Football is the most structured game on the planet. Aussie Rules would certainly be easier to learn as a player!