What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL confirmed for the GC - what does this mean for us?

Saint 60

Juniors
The funny thing is the AFL are suposed to be going strong...y play games out of home? Surely the home game sides would be rather pi__ed if everything was so good with the crowds.

seems things are not so rosey as they would have us believe?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Get a grip guys.

Lets not get too ahead of our selves here.

What was acually reported was that there will be 4 games at Carrara next year, if GC City Council spends $1Million on an upgrade, because of the Commonwealth Games in Melbournes next year, they need an extra ground for 4 weeks.

Nothing was discussed about 2007, so lets not speculate on what may never happen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
El Diablo said:
Said the AFL coach to the players prior to kick off :lol:

I was wondering what you were talking about, till I read Eddie McGuire's quote :lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There are moveabale stands there. Its possible to have it as a multi-purpose ground. If as expected, GC get the nod from the NRL, then League will take a priority as it'll have the only national football team.

But the way it's panning out, it won't be the only football code which will be played there. AFL is still has a number of years of catch up to go, and by then, its quite possible there'll be room for both sports.

Kiwi

First Grade
Don't know if it was mentioned in the 3 pages, too much sh*t to read through. But it was just mentioned on the news any AFL games played will be all subject to any development of the ground for the league team. Meaning League first then AFL, business as usual in QLD

winnyason

Juniors
f**k afl game played by softcocks watched by chicks, yuppies, & soccer mums who hate any form of rugby.

iggy plop

First Grade
Carrara is no longer an option. That Clarke dweeb has made sure it stays an oval. There's an article in today's SMH about it. Why can't these Melbourne dropkicks just stay down there and leave the northern states alone. There's too many of the pricks up here and the first thing they bring with them is their brainwashed love for androtop ball.

Looks like Robina for the Gold Coast league team.

doctor death

Juniors
nqboy said:
...Mayor Clarke said the AFL's initiative could be the start of a longer-term commitment to the Gold Coast.

"The AFL has told Council if next year’s matches prove successful, it's the AFL’s intention to commit to a similar number of AFL matches at Carrara Stadium in future years," Cr Clarke said.

"This would form part of the AFL’s 10-year growth strategy for South-East Queensland which may ultimately involve the introduction of a Gold Coast-based AFL Club into the AFL competition."

It's what we've been saying all along. The Gold Coast must be next, for the good of the game.

Rubbish. There wasn't much complaint when WA and SA were axed from rugby league. Gold Coast is a myth for rugby league. AFL will succeed because the AFL has support there.

DIEHARD

----
doctor death said:
Rubbish. There wasn't much complaint when WA and SA were axed from rugby league. Gold Coast is a myth for rugby league. AFL will succeed because the AFL has support there.

You are sick and a traitor to the rugby league, f**k off you totally disgust me!

Lego_Man

First Grade
Death to AFL.

Its a blight on your society, just as soccer is to most other nations in the world.

DIEHARD

----
Balmain_Boy said:
Do Redcliffe have NRL aspirations? From all i've seen they seem to be a massive club.

Nothing official but it has been mentioned by them several times. I think it is a long term goal for them.

IMO they could represent a Sunshine Coast team. The Dolphins.

Balmain_Boy

Redcliffe is second to St. Clair for junior numbers isn't it? I remember hearing that, or something similar...

meltiger

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
Trust me the Coast will play on a rectangular field, sleep soundly. Robina offers and entirely new complex right beside a train station.

Bearing in mind I don't really give a sh*t if there is an AFL team up there or not...

On Robina. This is interesting. The train station certainly makes it easilly accessible from the Southern reaches of Brissie and the Western flank of the GC, however is it still difficult to get to Robina (public Transport) from the Eastern Flank? ie Surfers/Broadbeach and so forth.

Would have been great for me ten years ago when I lived in Robina go damnit
wink.gif
lol I lived up there when the Town Centre was only in early planning phases... So that's why unsure on the transport situation (Before the town centre it was terrible)