What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL fans, more into it than NRL fans.

Anonymous

Juniors
I happened to catch the end of the Port Adelaide Vs Essendon game and when port won they played the team song over the PA system and everyone in the crowd was singing it at the top of their lungs for like 5 minutes, all clapping in tune to the song... It was pretty amazing, i have never seen anything like that at a league game, id be amazed if even a 10th of NRL supporters knew their club song. Nothing like that ever happens in rugby league, it would ad so much to the atmosphere if it did.

I suppose it could be the difference in cultures of the 2 sports i dont know, it just appears to me that AFL fans are a lot more fanatical than league fans.

Anonymous

Juniors
terminator007 said:
Its just a different attitude CH, were more into chants than singing.

It just sounded amazing, 37,000 fans all singing and getting right into their club song.

roopy

Referee
The best atmosphere i have ever experienced at a live game was at the game where Newcastle KB United got a crowd of 18,000 at the ISC in the mid seventies.
The crowd had a big percentage of poms, and they sang and chanted all game.
18,000 soccer fans made twice as much noise as 30,000 league fans.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
What is our club song these days???
I havent been to a home game in a few years (as I dont live in Newie anymore)
I know we have the "Its More Than A Game" song....but is that the one they play as we run out??

astrogirl

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
I happened to catch the end of the Port Adelaide Vs Essendon game and when port won they played the team song over the PA system and everyone in the crowd was singing it at the top of their lungs for like 5 minutes, all clapping in tune to the song... It was pretty amazing, i have never seen anything like that at a league game, id be amazed if even a 10th of NRL supporters knew their club song. Nothing like that ever happens in rugby league, it would ad so much to the atmosphere if it did.

I suppose it could be the difference in cultures of the 2 sports i dont know, it just appears to me that AFL fans are a lot more fanatical than league fans.
I love singing the Swannies' song after a win! It's sensational. I don't know if that means that AFL fans are more fanatical though - just different.

Anonymous

Juniors
I think it is an attitude thing. Southern folk are much more likely to sing a very badly written song to the tune of 'roll out the barrel' or something equally as pathetic.

In the greater scheme of things, I am quite happy not to sing the club song after a game. It is pointless.

I am glad we are different, I get shivers up my spine at the thought of being in an AFL atmosphere. It gives me the creeps and I wont change to suite them, not now, not ever.

Alex28

Coach
i think you have to go to a game down there (not at Sydney or Brisbane) to understand it - the Herald-Sun has like 30 pages of AFL news in a mid-week copy. there is a fair bit of tradition to the teams and songs that the NRL either dont have or threw away. it's amazing to see.