What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL grand final ends in draw - will be replayed

guruminga

Juniors
The funny thing was, it looked like the coaches negotiated what they wanted to do. Extra time, replay, etc. Am I right or mistaken? Do they decide when and if a draw happens?

Absolute load of Bollocks!

strider

Post Whore
The funny thing was, it looked like the coaches negotiated what they wanted to do. Extra time, replay, etc. Am I right or mistaken? Do they decide when and if a draw happens?

Absolute load of Bollocks!
no - from what i heard after it sounds like its their present rules

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ain-result-in-the-big-one-20100925-15ru8.html

Since 1991, drawn matches in the opening three weeks of the finals have been decided in extra time, but the grand final has maintained tradition.

''Everyone knew going to this game that there's no time-on [extra time] in a grand final. We certainly didn't expect a draw, but it was an unbelievable game.''

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
:lol: :lol: :crazy:

no extra time - just a replay next week .... ffs come join the rest of us in the 21st century AFL and play some extra time

not a bad move from the administration

another 100,000 tickets will be sold, another few million in TV rights and advertising revenue

they are still streets ahead of NRLs administration imo

you can't buy publicity like that

sportive cupid

Referee
I actaully thought that the end of the game was a disappointment in that the AFL didn't have a plan for this possibility.
I understand everyone saying it was the seemed to be the only thing that the NRL has over them.

HJ the AFL don't release their tickets like the NRL do on Ticketek.As far as I can understand the originally GF tickets are meeted out to corporations and MCG before they go on sale to the club members (Twizz might know more about this than me).Really,only only a small number get as far as the fans. I am wondering how they will do this one -since they wont be able to sell them that quickly to the travel companies etc.

Actually. thinking about it,it might be a really good thing -the clubs supporters might get a real look in this time...... hmm maybe the AFL DOES have it ALL over the NRL! (they certainly do in the bod department.... no Ben Cousinses types lurking around the NRL ladies.))

I actaully thought that the end of the game was a disappointment in that the AFL didn't have a plan for this possibility.
I understand everyone saying it was the seemed to be the only thing that the NRL has over them.

HJ the AFL don't release their tickets like the NRL do on Ticketek.As far as I can understand the originally GF tickets are meeted out to corporations and MCG before they go on sale to the club members (Twizz might know more about this than me).Really,only only a small number get as far as the fans. I am wondering how they will do this one -since they wont be able to sell them that quickly to the travel companies etc.

Actually. thinking about it,it might be a really good thing -the clubs supporters might get a real look in this time...... hmm maybe the AFL DOES have it ALL over the NRL! (they certainly do in the bod department.... no Ben Cousinses types lurking around the NRL ladies.))

I'm only going on what I was told yesterday. I watched the game with hard-core AFL fans who were up from Melbourne and they told me:

* Average price is $1000. One friend of theirs paid $1500 to go yesterday.
* First allocation of tickets will go to Saints and Pies fans. Then other AFL Clubs. Then general public. This could account for 80,000+ of the total tickets sold.
*Corporate tickets etc will have to be paid for again and they cost more than general fan tickets.
*$10m easy.

strider

Post Whore
if tickets cost $1000+ then that is f**king ludicrous .... no game is worth that much money ..... i find it hard to believe

ok HJ - your friends are either having a lend of your or are dumb ... i found this .... while there are probably other more expensive tickets, w can say the vast majority are probably an average price of $200 - a bit less than $1000 :lol: .... maybe your friends are scalpers :lol:

http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/grandfinalticketsandpackages/tabid/14502/default.aspx

CLUB MEMBER AND GENERAL PUBLIC TICKET PRICES

Standard reserved seat
Adult $161.00
Conc $108.00
Prime reserved seat
$235.00
$160.00
Premium reserved seat
$270.00
$184.00
Standing room
$142.50
$97.00
Restricted view seat
$142.50
$97.00

HevyDevy

Coach
not a bad move from the administration

another 100,000 tickets will be sold, another few million in TV rights and advertising revenue

they are still streets ahead of NRLs administration imo

you can't buy publicity like that

Yeah. f**k the players apparently.

What a joke that they have never addressed this issue.

Hellsy

Immortal
Ummm the AFL have always had this rule, and the ARL had it as well....
Does it need to be changed? Maybe it does, but seriously... how often is it likely to happen? In such a high scoring game it is much less likely than in the NRL. And what do U guys who don't follow the game really care anyway? :lol: :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
They would have to have extra time in an elimination final otherwise you'd have to delay the entire following week's schedule, and the week after that's schedule etc which would be crazy. I wonder what the policy there is...

HevyDevy

Coach
Just read that one of the Saints players will miss the replay because of an injury he picked up yesterday. Imagine that - you miss the GF because of an injury you picked up in the GF. Bizarre.

Eels Dude

Coach
Just read that one of the Saints players will miss the replay because of an injury he picked up yesterday. Imagine that - you miss the GF because of an injury you picked up in the GF. Bizarre.

And a potential premiership ring too. Wonder how that works. What a laughing stock the AFL is. They can talk up this idea as being 'different' to other sports therefore great, but there's a reason why other codes just have extra time. It makes sense.

sportive cupid

Referee
Ummm the AFL have always had this rule, and the ARL had it as well....
Does it need to be changed? Maybe it does, but seriously... how often is it likely to happen? In such a high scoring game it is much less likely than in the NRL. And what do U guys who don't follow the game really care anyway? :lol: :lol:
Actually I was at teh drawn ARL Grand Final and they played several
minutes either way on the day .When there was no result then(and rememeber...this was in the days of no interchange) They decided to come back the next week.
So the ARL actually did some thinking on their feet so good for them!

Whether something is likely or not is hardly a reason not to think of a contingency plan.It HAS happened before in the game and even happened earlier this year.

Oh and on the HJ friends thing.They are probably referring to the packages which is one of the main ways you can ge a ticket to the GF .They include usually a breakfast or dinner(pre match function) ,accommodation and the game .Sometimes a post function event as well.Not sure how that al works with the replay.

Hellsy

Immortal
Why would they have a contingency plan when it is not in their current rules to require one as they have the replay next week rule... as I said, maybe it does need to changed - not gunna argue there.

Latest posts