What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
THE AFL - boasting a $200 million war chest to kill off rugby league in Sydney's west - now wants the NSW State Government to fork out $45 million to build a glittering new home for its Greater Western Sydney franchise.
Furious NRL clubs yesterday called on Rees to immediately abandon plans to hand over the money for GWS to redevelop the Sydney Showground at Homebush Bay.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal that GWS has agreed to play at Sydney Showground - where the Bulldogs played between 2001 and 2003, provided it obtains $45 million off the Rees Government and an additional $25 million from the Federal Government.
NRL clubs are furious that $70 million of taxpayer money may go toward the showground's revamp - with a grandstand to be built on the eastern side - despite the venue being just 300m from the all-purpose $620 million ANZ Stadium.
Having budgeted for crowds of 15,000, GWS has rejected an offer to play exclusively at ANZ Stadium amid fears of having 65,000 empty seats shown during match telecasts.
One well-placed source said: "It's a lot of money to spend just to cover up (AFL CEO) Andrew Demetriou's blushes."

The State Government has already given GWS $17.5 million to help build its training complex at Blacktown.
NRL officials are questioning why such a substantial amount would go to AFL in a rugby league state.
"I am sure given the current financial crisis involving this government, the last thing they should do is spend all that money on a second-rate sport in Sydney," said Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne.
"Maybe the government should tip a few more dollars into the true believers at Parramatta who are involved in the No. 1 sport in NSW."
GWS only plans to play eight games at the Sydney Showground - taking its premier games next door to ANZ Stadium. It is unknown where GWS would play should the showground money be denied.
Government sources have confirmed that the AFL's proposal limited its contribution to $5 million, with the NSW and Federal governments to make up the remainder.
A spokesman for Premier Rees said the AFL's proposal was still being considered. "No decision has been made," said the spokesman.
"But no government has supported rugby league infrastructure more than Labor.
"This government has put $180 million over the past 10 years into the NRL."

Link

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Suprized that the Liberals havent tried to use this against Labor. Between this, the lack of an upgrade to Brookvale Oval, its stoush with the Knights, the Liberals could claim that Labor is neglecting Rugby League community.

Big Mick

Referee
"But no government has supported rugby league infrastructure more than Labor.
"This government has put $180 million over the past 10 years into the NRL."

f**k off Rees, you AFL loving yuppy.

$180m over 10 years...yeah right...and then your going to give the fAgFL 62.5m in only 1 year. Bit of a mix up in parody right there don't you think.

Concentrate on getting your priorities right in this state. The fact the Government would have to pay $70m while the AFL only $5m for this redevelopment when they have a perfectly acceptable stadium right next door is a disgrace.

If they have so much money, why can't they fund the redevelopment all themselves and not put their hand out for more?

Goddo

Bench
I loled at the bit where he claimed that $18m a year over 10 years is a big investment in Rugby League. Thats bandaid money for the stadiums the State Government runs. doesn't compare to $45m for something not needed.
Why can't the AFL play at ANZ? I mean, if they don't, wtf did they bother making it retractable and oval? Seems very stupid... NSW Gov should tell them to play at ANZ and if they don't like it they can f*** off back to Victoriania...

RL1908

Bench
No doubt those on the AFL side of the argument will point to the Victorian government spending $267 million on a new stadium for the Storm.

The difference is that Melbourne has never had a purpose-built rectangular stadium, and it will be home to three codes - RL, RU & soccer. Sydney already has Homebush (ANZ and the Showground) and the SCG for AFL.

Some relevant quotes from an article in the Herald Sun today...

New fortress makes them kings of their own castle
Ron Reed From: Herald Sun November 24, 2009

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...their-own-castle/story-e6frf9if-1225803115795

RUGBY league gets to host the house-warming party at Melbourne's newest sports stadium, which is fair enough - it has been waiting the longest for a home of their own.

The wait ends on Friday, May 7, when the venue now known only as the rectangular stadium - but likely to soon be christened after the home-builder Metricon - opens for biffo. Sorry, business.

But you can tell already how close you're going to be to the action - right on top of it, like all good soccer and rugby stadiums.

That's something all three sports that will be using it - league, soccer and rugby union - haven't had anywhere else in Melbourne, although Etihad Stadium is wheeling out a more intimate seating configuration for this weekend's A-League match between Victory and Gold Coast.

For Storm, which has wandered around Olympic Park, Etihad, Carlton and Gosch's Paddock, having somewhere it can, at last, truly call home is probably just as important as the aesthetics.

These codes all used to be second-class, if not third or fourth-class, citizens in the Melbourne sporting landscape, and they all still live in the shadow of the AFL juggernaut.

Brutus

Referee
The AFL like to go on about how much money they have, then why don't they pay for it themselves.

Bulldog Force

Referee
:lol:

Like the State Government will kill off our state game and red themselves a further $45,000,000. Even IF they wanted to (and I use that term loosely) there is no way in hell they could do it. You can't spend money you don't have.

No doubt those on the AFL side of the argument will point to the Victorian government spending $267 million on a new stadium for the Storm.

The difference is that Melbourne has never had a purpose-built rectangular stadium, and it will be home to three codes - RL, RU & soccer. Sydney already has Homebush (ANZ and the Showground) and the SCG for AFL.

Some relevant quotes from an article in the Herald Sun today...

With the second soccer team starting up in Melbourne, there will eventually be four clubs using the new stadium. Be interesting to see how the surface holds up, particularly in a wet year.

Flapper

First Grade
The fact we can't build much needed rail links, infrastructure, and fix the hospital, yet we can pull money out our arse to fund an upgrade because the AFL don't want to be seen playing to a mostly empty ANZ is f**king ridiculous. If Team GWS won't be popular enough to fill the ANZ 1/6 full, maybe they should realise they should put the goddamn team somewhere else.

Karyn Paluzzano's my local MP, very clued in to the imbecile running the show I think from past statements attributed to her. I'm assuming she's banging her head against her desk this morning. I might fire her off a Facebook message all the same :lol:

This isn't just NRL v AFL, this is a ricidulous prioritising of government spending, and horrendously out of touch with the feelings of the people who voted them in (myself included). We need a million more things before an upgraded Showground, NW and SW rail links, M5 expansion, M4 extension, possible M7-F3 link, improving hospital waiting lists, air conditioners in schools, need I go on? Wake up to yourself Rees you f**king knob.

Brutus

Referee
I like this post on the comments sections

Andrew of Sydney Posted at 7:48 AM Today
Write to your local State and Federal MP. The AFL pumped money into Stadium Australia so it wouldn't be converted to a rectangular field after the Olympics. Now we have a stadium which suits AFL, yet the AFL doesn't want to play there. This $45mil could be spent on so many good things, and the AFL's ego because they are scared of empty seats on TV is not one of those, especially when the ground is only 300 metres away, and they intend playing only 8 games a year their? And what if it's a success? The ground will be abandoned immediately, and there goes another $45mil dollars for a white elephant.
Comment 31 of 73

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b-for-stadium/comments-e6frexnr-1225802792238

This mob pumped money into ensuring the Olympic Stadium would never be rectangular and now they want to brush that stadium and play at another one.

The hide of these pricks.

We are watching Mr Rees.

chunk

Juniors
Don't just whinge about it here.

Make sure u email your state local MP.

I have, here's my letter

Hi //////,

My name is ////////// and I live in //////////I am a staunch Rugby League fan – Wests Tigers and I am very disappointed in what I read yesterday. The following was reported in the tabloid media yesterday “The Daily Telegraph can reveal that GWS has agreed to play at Sydney Showground - where the Bulldogs played between 2001 and 2003, provided it obtains $45 million off the Rees Government and an additional $25 million from the Federal Government.”

Is this true? If so I am disgusted that the Labour Party is willing to fork out such a large amount of my money for AFL. Especially when there are so many other areas where the money can be spent. Apart from schools, health etc why can’t the money be spent on Rugby League facilities……..what about the one and only Leichhardt Oval for starters.

I normally have voted for Labour but if this money is given to the AFL Stadium and no more funds for League stadiums, my vote will not be yours.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Listen guys I appreciate the effort and the love for our game is shown, but the Ree's Government does not have $45,000,000 to spend. The NSW State Government is broke. They cannot spend money they don't have. As has been stated many times on here, this is simply the publicity the AFL want to give the GWS team. Let them pump their own money into it. Hell the way I see it, those Mexicans are pumping money into our state and economy, fixing up our sh*t facilities, all being spent on a team that will go under :D

E.T.D

Juniors
It's time to put things in perspective.

The AFL have asked for $45 million of NSW Government money for an upgrade of the Sydney Showgrounds.

State Government revenue for 2009/10 is expected to be $53 billion.

So the AFL are asking for 0.00084% of NSW revenue.

If I was to spend 0.00084% of my revenue on something this year, I'd be able to buy a HB pencil.

This money wont even make a blip on the radar and has, as usual, been blown out of all proportion.

I don't think the AFL will get the money, but I don't see the NRL banging down Rees' door for stadium upgrades either.

If your club contributes significant funds through taxation, eventually you should see some of that money flow back to you by way of grants towards stadium or asset improvements.

A very minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Evenflow

Bench
Listen guys I appreciate the effort and the love for our game is shown, but the Ree's Government does not have $45,000,000 to spend. The NSW State Government is broke. They cannot spend money they don't have.

Geez you're a f**king moron. How do you think the state got into hundreds of millions of dollars of debt it now finds itself in? Just in case you can't comprehend it's because they've been spending money they don't have! :roll:

Latest posts