What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

Green Machine

First Grade
Apologises for my mathematical error. I'm happy to be corrected and the calculator operator copped a fair hiding. My head still hurts.
Getting a co-tenant for GWS to share the burden would make the investment in the Sydney Showgrounds more palatable in the eyes of Sydneysiders.
Unless they can get the old El Caballo Blanco Spanish Dancing Horses from Leppington to share with them, they have no hope
It'd be funny seeing Sheedy and Greenberg hand in hand going to Rees asking for the dollars to upgrade the Showgrounds.
It would be totally queer and don’t think Todd or the Bulldogs would involve themselves in such a side show. Rugby League was unsuitable at the Showground and it won't happen again
A refurbished stadium might appeal to some teams that currently play at ANZ Stadium and they could possibly make more dollars there.
Why would the Dogs go back there? They have been there before and have gone back to a better deal at ANZ. Why would they help the AFL out? The Dogs are one NRL club who is not short of cash.
As far as games at ANZ Stadium are concerned, I'd anticipate only 5 or 6 AFL games played their yearly, but the AFL would have first call on the stadium.
Looks like they may have to play every GWS Celtic home game at ANZ. As for the Swans. They are reducing their schedule at ANZ next season. I see them nailing their arse to the SCG to appeal to their Eastern Suburbs fan base

Green Machine

First Grade
If the AFL can offer Jarryd Hayne $7m and they can sign cutie, why can’t they spend their own money on upgrading the Showground? Better still, why don’t they spend $20m on seating at Blacktown Olympic Park where their bogus team is suppose to represent. Here's good idea; play at Blacktown. The Inner West is not Western Sydney. The NSW Government should tell them to play at ANZ. They’ve got a mate at the company that controls ANZ. Sydney should have got a proper rectangular football stadium out of the Olympics and the AFL interfering in the configuration, ruined it. I will be looking forward to the GWS Celtics playing at ANZ Stadium. Some things sometime can just come back and bite you on the arse,

Dogs Of War

Coach
A refurbished stadium might appeal to some teams that currently play at ANZ Stadium and they could possibly make more dollars there.

The Bulldogs averaged more at ANZ, and with the membership drives, I see no reason to ever go back to that stadium. It is veyr poor for Rugby League viewing, and if you were to try and make it multi-purpose it would cost a lot more than they are talking about now.

As far as games at ANZ Stadium are concerned, I'd anticipate only 5 or 6 AFL games played their yearly, but the AFL would have first call on the stadium.

What makes you think that? I would hazzard a guess that they will take 3-4 games to Canberra every year if the crowds aren't coming in Sydney. Leaving 8 games in Sydney to be played at ANZ.

El Diablo

Post Whore
ahh the nutters at bigpoofy think not building this stadium will see a backlash from NSW voters :lol:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16335368&postcount=111

you mean voted out like bligh was?

what they no doubt noticed was that bligh won an election after commiting serious funds to the AFL on the gold coast.

and im sure its something that demetriou will remind them of when they are wined and dined and shown figures as to how many construction jobs there are in the stadium upgrade, how many visiting AFL fans they can expect each year in hotels, and how much money a new side will bring into the state and the city over the long years of its existance.

as i say, this is really just beginning.

is this turnip aware that Labor lost seats all over the GC because of the decision to build an AFL stadium :crazy:

Come May 2010, the Brumby government and NRL cohorts will land a massive blow to to the AFL with the unveiling of the bubble stadium. Watch for the fireworks.

Brumby's got my vote.

Brutus

Referee
Come May 2010, the Brumby government and NRL cohorts will land a massive blow to to the AFL with the unveiling of the bubble stadium. Watch for the fireworks.

Brumby's got my vote.

You mean the Brumby government and its NRL, soccer and rugby union coherts.

The supposed sporting capital of the world will finally unveil its first ever rectangular football stadium. Who would have thunk it...

Evenflow

Bench
The supposed sporting capital of the world

It's actually been confirmed now just in the last week or so.

As for the topic at hand, i'd be very very surprised if the AFL recieved this money for the showgraounds and i don't think they will. As has been mentioned there's just no logical reason they should given Telstra is only a stones throw away.

That being said i'm pretty sure they'll get more funding off the governement for something else. You can bet your last dollar that Vlad will keep he's hand out asking for anything he can get and unfortuantely i think that halfwit that leads NSW will get it

Brutus

Referee
It's actually been confirmed now just in the last week or so.

And there was a report that claimed Brisbane was the sporting capital of Australia just two years ago.

Reports, studies, reports, Melbourne...:lol:

Bulldog Force

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-deal-is-off/story-e6frexnr-1225803466695

The Deal Is Off

BUCKLING under a backlash from an angry rugby league community, NSW Premier Nathan Rees has ditched a $45 million plan to help the AFL's western Sydney franchise build a new home ground.
The Daily Telegraph yesterday revealed an audacious AFL request for the money from the Rees Government - and an additional $25 million from the Federal Government - to redevelop the Sydney Showground at Homebush Bay.
NRL clubs were furious that $70 million would go towards the showground's revamp despite the venue being just 300m from the all-purpose $620 million ANZ Stadium.
After budgeting for crowds of 15,000, GWS rejected an offer to play exclusively at ANZ Stadium, fearing 65,000 empty seats may embarrass the code on national television.
After coming under fire from rugby league fans, bloggers and officials, Premier Rees crash-tackled the plan.
"We're not about to give that sort of money to the AFL for a stadium next to an existing stadium," he said.
"I'd much rather spend the money on hospitals and schools. "They have approached us for a contribution to a reconfiguration of the ground next to ANZ Stadium and we've indicated consistently that's not a priority for us."
Rees said the State Labor Government, over the past decade, had outlaid $170 million to help upgrade NRL facilities. "Rugby league has been generously supported by us and the taxpayers of NSW and that continues," Rees told radio station 2MMM's Grill Team.
About 80 per cent of respondents to a Daily Telegraph online poll yesterday voted against Rees giving AFL the cash.
NRL officials were still amazed yesterday that the NSW and Federal Governments would even contemplate spending $70 million of taxpayers' money to revamp a ground that GWS only plans to use for eight matches a season.
"It's a bit rich asking for all that money when there is a perfectly good facility right next door," Manly chairman Scott Penn said.Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg added: "In the current economic climate, I doubt if any government would commit more taxpayer funding towards stadia infrastructure at Sydney Olympic Park."
Asked where his team would play if the showground was unavailable, AFL NSW/ACT general manager Dale Holmes said: "We have a range of options and we are talking to a range of stakeholders."
:lol:

Brutus

Referee
Gee what a shame. It's not like they don't have an 80,000 stadium there ready to use anyway. A stadium that the AFL made sure wouldn't be reverted back to proper rectangular mode following the Olympics.

If you really want the Showgrounds boys, then open up that huge war chest you've allegedly got.

sharko

Juniors
Your guys petty paranoia about another code is really very dull reading..it is actually complimentary to the code you seek to condemn.

Thankgod. And like others have said the AFL's constantly bragging about this $200 million they have lets see them put up or shut up.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Your guys petty paranoia about another code is really very dull reading..it is actually complimentary to the code you seek to condemn.
Read between the lines. Find out what's going on behind the scenes, not just what you see. This is a victory not only for the Rugby League heartland, but for common sense. A victory that would not be necessary if we didn't have numbnuts for a Premier.

Latest posts