What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 18

CyberKev

Staff member
Its getting tough now for those sides outside the eight, but all sides down to Richmond can still make it, however unlikely...

FRIDAY AUGUST 1 AEST

Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne
Telstra Dome 7:40 PM AEST

Well, needless to say that these are two sides that most definitely CANNOT make the finals, but they're close enough in ability to suggest that we'll have a good game on our hands. The Bulldogs have more to play four as they desperately try to lift themselves off the bottom of the table, and they would need to win games like this to accomplish the task. Melbourne have had three exceedingly stiff weeks in a row and would not want to countenance another loss here. They're essentially playing for pride, but lowly sides have done well at this often in the past during the same stage of the season. People are writing this off as unenticing fare, but I see two sides willing to have a dip and I suspect it'll be well worth a look... Demons by 11pts

SATURDAY AUGUST 2 AEST

Carlton vs Essendon
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Is it time to let bygones be bygones and allow oneself to feel genuine pity and sympathy for Carlton? Maybe will let that one stay rhetorical for at least another week. Incredibly enough, the Bombers represent one of Carlton's four wins for the year and would be mortified beyond belief at the mere prospect of handing their hated arch-enemy a double. I doubt they have a lot to fear, as while Carlton normally rises to these contests, you would say the same thing about their clashes with Collingwood. The Pies smashed them last week and it was painfully clear that its not so much a case of the Blues not being able to pull up their socks, as it is Carlton not having any socks to pull up! The red & blacks have a sniff of unexpected finals action and will not let this one slip... Bombers by 57 pts

Fremantle vs Richmond
Subiaco 1:40 PM AWST

Alas poor Tigers... Back on the winners list for the first match in nine last week, only to see their slender finals hopes riding on a match against Freo at the House of Pain! They won't win the Tigers, of course not, they haven't got the wherewithal. Nonetheless, they could still prove deceptively competitive, particularly if they pursue last week's ad hoc game plan of playing Richo as a ruck rover. Freo are overly blessed with tall, mobile young defenders and the Tigers will be cactus pooptus if they decide to play safe with talls out of their goal square. They need to mix things up, play small up front, and bring weapons like Richo into the game as often as possible. Even then it wouldn't be enough... Dockers by 42 pts

Geelong vs Collingwood
Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

Hmmm... Collingwood have been rolling along nicely of late, but its not as if they've been beating the big sides. They won't here either, but they can ill afford to lose momentum with some tough clashes looming large on the horizon. The Cats would fancy their chances having routinely beat the Magpies over recent years, although they were heavily beaten earlier in the season. They led at every change that day, with the notable exception of the final one, as Collingwood rolled over them in a one-way last term. Still, the Cats are eager enough and if they can get on top out of the middle early will cause Collingwood plenty of headaches. Collingwood looks to steady and solid, however, and has too much to play for... Magpies by 27 pts

Brisbane Lions vs Kangaroos
Gabba 7:10 PM AEST

The Kangaroos have been bravely clinging to a lower eight spot all season, but it was always only going to end in tears. The blue & whites will slip out of the eight this weekend and will not be able to get back in. Brisbane have been struggling, but were great against Port last week despite falling a piddling point short at the death knell. Laidley's men courageously held the Lions to a draw earlier in the season, but such heroics are beyond them here. Brisbane will be buoyant having just signed Matthews on as coach for a further three years and will be in the modd for celebration. They look oddly out of place outside of the top fourand will be bracing for a last full-on run to the line. I reckon this could get seriously ugly... Lions by 78 pts

SUNDAY AUGUST 3 ACST

Adelaide vs Sydney
AAMI Stadium 12:40 PM ACST

This game is another one with considerable appeal. Statistics show that the Crows make considerably less clangers than any other side, which means they must be doing something right with their skills. Sydney has been the revelation of the season and are certain to make the eight against all honest pre-season predictions. The Swans will find the going tough here though, particularly with key ruckman Jason Ball out for the season with injury. Adelaide have an horrendous run into the finals, but if they can get some wins up they'll be red hot going into the big games. I suspect that they can, starting with a good strong win here... Crows by 36 pts

Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Hawthorn looked like winners in the West at halftime last week before turning in an embarrassing goalless second half. That's hardly the sort of form you want to be bringing into a game, with your finals hopes hanging by a thread, and inflicted with the Subi curse to boot! Making matters worse, several key talls are still sidelined and the Hawks will know that they struggle against Port at the best of times! Port were super impressive in Brisbane last week and will be eyeing off a bit of a percentage boost here. About the only thing in Hawthorn's favour is Port's dismal MCG record, although it is worth remembering that the Power pasted the Hawks at this venue in 2001. Too much confidence, form and sound structure the visitors... Power by 28 pts

St Kilda vs West Coast
Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

I know this sounds odd, but I wasn't overly impressed with West Coast despite them running amok against the Hawks in the second half last week. The Eagles always win in Perth and normally build these wins on the back of hardball aversion and wide softball running. The depleted Hawks would've given hope to other finalists in the first half last week when they drew the Eagles into a hardball stoush and really should've been four goals up at halftime NOT four points. Whether St Kilda has the arsenal at the moment to exploit the Eagles here is an entirely different matter. Still, the Saints have the tall kpp to trouble the Eagles if they're switched-on and can get a share of good ball out of the middle. Just can't see them doing enough, alas... Eagles by 24 pts

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Still recovering from last weeks performance, so if my predictions seem strange, that's my excuse. Soon after I started following the match score (Isn't there some station I can listen to the games on?) in the second quarter the Tigers hit the front and didn't look back....maybe I'm not a jinx afterall...:D

Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne - Dees by 8

Carlton vs Essendon - Bombers by 38

Fremantle vs Richmond - Dockers by 24

Geelong vs Collingwood - Magpies by 30

Brisbane Lions vs Kangaroos - Lions by 42

Adelaide vs Sydney - Crows by 16

Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide - Port by 10

St Kilda vs West Coast - Eagles by 20

Cupid Stunt

Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne - WESTERN

Carlton vs Essendon - Bombers

Fremantle vs Richmond - Dockers

Geelong vs Collingwood - Magpies

Brisbane Lions vs Kangaroos - Lions

Adelaide vs Sydney - Sydney

Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide - Port

St Kilda vs West Coast - Eagles

What chance the melee that was not a melee will come back at a later date to try & save some team. Players have gone for way less & if it wasnt the Pies involved then I truly believe it would have led to more.

But on a brighter note, CONGRATULATIONS Luke Darcy. When a premiere player stays strong to a more then struggling side when no doubt he could have picked any team he wanted shows that loyalty still exists among money. C.Walker could well do to have a look at how Luke has handled his career.

With any luck Browny & Giansiracusa will soon throw their John Hancock down as well.

CyberKev

Staff member
Cupid Stunt said:
What chance the melee that was not a melee will come back at a later date to try & save some team. Players have gone for way less & if it wasnt the Pies involved then I truly believe it would have led to more.

But on a brighter note, CONGRATULATIONS Luke Darcy. When a premiere player stays strong to a more then struggling side when no doubt he could have picked any team he wanted shows that loyalty still exists among money. C.Walker could well do to have a look at how Luke has handled his career.

With any luck Browny & Giansiracusa will soon throw their John Hancock down as well.

Agree with you totally on both counts, Old Son!

Given how many players have been fined for the exact same offences as those Pie and Blues players over the years... Words fail me! Mind you, I've always felt the melee and wrestling fines were utter tosh, but that doesn't excuse the blatant lack of consistency in this instance!

Fantastic stuff from Darcy and it was good to see the embattled Hounds celebrate the re-signing with a solid win last night. All going well, the Bulldogs will win another two games for the season and Carlton will win none. That will lift the Hounds above the Blues on the table, but will still ensure they get a concession pick.

I suspect that the club will finish low on the table next season as well, but if they can pick up a few class youngsters over the next two drafts (which will also ease their player payment woes) and sign most of their top players then they could hit back hard in 2005.

Of course, the bigger challenge for the club is remaining solvent for long enough to enter the competition in 2005.

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

Carlton has been the aim for me since around Rd5! :lol: If we dont get the wooden spoon then it'll be a good year. I'm happy with the first pick out of the draft, although I've not seen him on a paddock I'm yet to read a bad report on him.

Browny & Giansira MUST be priority, them Darcy, Grant & West are a good start and although maybe a little bias I think Western have some of the best 2nd tier players going around. We really just need a few true game breakers, the likes of Goodes or McLeod.

As for finance, we're safe... till the end of 2006 anyway. ;-)

How good are Port lookng! :p

Latest posts