What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL wanna grind RL into the ground

Living in Victoria, my observation is that people down here are fanatical about their AFL and will follow it no matter where they live: attending games is central to that.

Judging by AFL's poor TV ratings in NSW, it leads me to believe that most people who go to Swans' games are probably ex-pats from Victoria. This would account for the fact that the crowds are always pretty good, whereas your born and bred Sydneysider probably doesn't care enough to attend/watch the games.

Unfortunately, this is also the trend in RL - they don't care enough to attend the games (or it's not in the culture to attend as much as in AFL).

The fact that TV ratings are always good for RL though indicates that the interest is there - it's just shown in different ways to AFL where attending is seen as probably the main way to express support.

Boodoo

Juniors
AFL are tryin to do exactly the same thing to football (soccer) but what they dont realise is that is football and the NRL splashed that kind of money around we would be ruling supreme

the only thing that is propping up AFL (and cricket) is the live Free to air and in the ol day when warren boland and debbie spilane used to do saturday arvo RL, RL used to be king

Bring back free live NRL!!!

N.Hindmarsh_Fan

Juniors
People love to watch the league on tele because it is a good game on tele, the AFL is sh*t on tele. It is hard to know whats going on in an AFL match on the tele, also, Sydney siders come out in summer, Melbourne people don't know what summer is, isn't 30 degree a heat wave down there? So they don't mind coming out all year round..

phonetic

Juniors
I think the 'AFL is better live at the ground' line is a myth.

I've been to 3 AFL games now, and I much to prefer to watch it on TV. Just my opinion.

dimitri

First Grade
feeding_the_fire said:
Living in Victoria, my observation is that people down here are fanatical about their AFL and will follow it no matter where they live: attending games is central to that.

Judging by AFL's poor TV ratings in NSW, it leads me to believe that most people who go to Swans' games are probably ex-pats from Victoria. This would account for the fact that the crowds are always pretty good, whereas your born and bred Sydneysider probably doesn't care enough to attend/watch the games.

Unfortunately, this is also the trend in RL - they don't care enough to attend the games (or it's not in the culture to attend as much as in AFL).

The fact that TV ratings are always good for RL though indicates that the interest is there - it's just shown in different ways to AFL where attending is seen as probably the main way to express support.

i can tell you that about half are from Vic/SA

stitch6004

Juniors
same as back home in new zealand just because most games of rugby are'nt sold out and that the free to air coverage is'nt as good as it used to be,most games are on delayed telecast does'nt mean that rugby union is'nt the number one game there.some stupid afl fans here in perth try and tell me their game is really popular in nz.

Brutus

Referee
phonetic said:
I have no issues with AFL as a sport, or that it is played in Sydney, it's just the constant references to it eating up Rugby League heartlands annoy me. Because a) they are largely unfounded, and b) the people who preach these things to me sh*te me to tears.

Exactly - as a rugby league supporter the constant reference to taking ground off league sh*ts me. It makes me hate the sport even more than I already do.

ledzep

Bench
phonetic said:
I think the 'AFL is better live at the ground' line is a myth.

I've been to 3 AFL games now, and I much to prefer to watch it on TV. Just my opinion.
you don't have to hear 30k geniuss yelling "balllllllllll" every second either

Ice777

Bench
N.Hindmarsh_Fan said:
Sydney siders come out in summer, Melbourne people don't know what summer is, isn't 30 degree a heat wave down there? So they don't mind coming out all year round..

Out of all the crappy excuses i've heard as to why people don't go to rugby league games, that one surely has to take the cake :lol:

adamkungl

Immortal
don't forget that many league games are played in stadiums that hold <25000, and there is usually 4 or so NRL games in sydney a week compared to no or 1 afl game. Basically the crowds are more spread out. Broncos often get brilliant attendance, not so for the storm tho.

Ice777

Bench
adamkungl said:
don't forget that many league games are played in stadiums that hold <25000, and there is usually 4 or so NRL games in sydney a week compared to no or 1 afl game. Basically the crowds are more spread out. Broncos often get brilliant attendance, not so for the storm tho.

That's another excuse i can't have. There can be 4 or 5 AFL matches taking place down here on any given weekend and that doesn't affect crowd numbers greatly and more often than not all games get decent figures. What does playing in stadiums in stadiums of 25,000 got to do with anything? It's just as well they aren't bigger because they rarely get filled now so 25,000 is more than enough. I know the people of Sydney love their league, i just wish they'd get out and support their teams more.

Is Brisbane a rugby league city? Last time i checked it was. Is Melbourne a rugby league city? last time i checked is wasn'. That might have a bit to do with the difference in numbers ;-)

Ice777

Bench
Well is it a rugby league city then? :D I think it's fair to say it is alot more than AFL city. Just as Melbourne is much more of an Aussie rules city than rugby league.

Brutus

Referee
LESStar58 said:
It's called fear...

and it's called the Telecrap for a reason!

Virtually the same article in the SMH as well.

We'll probably see the same article again next week.

The chest-beating AFL are coming to get us!!!

Brutus

Referee
Ice777 said:
That's another excuse i can't have. There can be 4 or 5 AFL matches taking place down here on any given weekend and that doesn't affect crowd numbers greatly and more often than not all games get decent figures. What does playing in stadiums in stadiums of 25,000 got to do with anything? It's just as well they aren't bigger because they rarely get filled now so 25,000 is more than enough. I know the people of Sydney love their league, i just wish they'd get out and support their teams more.

Is Brisbane a rugby league city? Last time i checked it was. Is Melbourne a rugby league city? last time i checked is wasn'. That might have a bit to do with the difference in numbers ;-)

Don't forget there's also a rugby divide to consider in Sydney. Melbourne doesn't have this problem.