What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL wanna grind RL into the ground

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Are the decisions coming from up higher? Gallop is just a News puppet. If you ran big business and were looking to sponsor sport why would you want to pay double when with a bit of social engineering you can save yourself quite a substantial amount? We have been positioned to be neither the national or international game and the media quite obediently pumps out this line.

Ice777

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
What a load of sh*t.

Where is AFL growing to?

The NRL has a new team in 2007 and has places lining up after them including Wellington and Gosford. Even Perth is a shot in the future.

Who is lining up for the next AFL side?

The next largest area for them to put a team is one of three place, Gold Coast, who they are treating with contempt by sending their pariah team there, Western Sydney, which will be a disaster and which they seem very reluctant to do anything about, and Newcastle, which is laughable.

They've already accepted that Tasmania isn't big enough.

So, where are they growing to?

Who was talking about introducing extra teams? Is that the only way you constitute growing the game? For one the AFL don't need an extra side right now as they have the main areas pretty much covered atm and they're more worried about taking care of the teams they already have as opposed to introducing new ones which IMO is a smart move.

Now, is it not growing the game in Sydney and Brisbane by spending money to get it into more schools and get more awareness of the game in people's minds? Is it not growth by getting more people to the game through the gates and actually watching the game? It's that sort of growth i'm talking about which is imperative to to the survival of all codes in the long run.

Look at the Swans now to what they were 10 or 15 years ago and tell me that they haven't grown from where they were. Tell me that there aren't more schools and more juniors taking part in the game than what there were 10 years ago. If you say there aren't then you can keep your head in the sand like the NRL and pretend it's not happening. I hope they do get of their arses to do something to combat it. Oh and the next team WILL be in Sydney, when that will be and how it will go only time will tell. But like it or not it's going to happen eventually.

Brutus

Referee
Gallop's currently answering a barrage of questions relating to the AFL's push on Channel 9 at the moment.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And what's the puppet saying?
The perception is league is under attack and AFL is getting bigger and stronger.
Ask yourself how much you knew about AFL 10 years ago then fast forward 10 years.

the nrl needs to get itself in order first if it wants to get taken seriously down here in melbourne

when people here hear about players signing for clubs while they are still playing for their current club for another 4-5months they think its just ridiculous.....most people here thought it was hilarious when during the preseason we heard that 2 or 3 clubs had already appointed coaches for the following year and that their future coach was still coaching another team for the season

until there is a proper system people will still think of it as a joke, its a shame that there is no live fta nrl into melb so far this year we have gotten SOO3 and the recent storm final live on 9 and thats it...all other ch9 games are shown after midnight

gaterooze

Bench
Just take a look at QLD -- after being in four straight AFL grand finals and winning three, within one year the state has almost totally turned off AFL. Their TV ratings for the friday night semi were 25k.

Yet for the past few years the AFL has been crowing about how they have taken over QLD. All talk.

If the Swans stop winning, no one in NSW will care about the AFL. Even after winning the grand final last year, their TV ratings all season have been garbage.

It's all hype.

Ice777

Bench
Yep, just pretend the AFL aren't there and they'll eventually go away :sarcasm:

I can only hope the NRL don't have that same attitude.

Green Machine

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
the nrl needs to get itself in order first if it wants to get taken seriously down here in melbourne

when people here hear about players signing for clubs while they are still playing for their current club for another 4-5months they think its just ridiculous.....most people here thought it was hilarious when during the preseason we heard that 2 or 3 clubs had already appointed coaches for the following year and that their future coach was still coaching another team for the season
There is no player draft in Rugby League because it has already been contested in court. Unlike Australian Rules, the NRL has other competitors to deal with, such as Super League, the ARU and European Rugby Union. It is all well and good for the AFL fans to sit in judgement of Rugby League when their sport will never be exposed to the same world market forces.
until there is a proper system people will still think of it as a joke, its a shame that there is no live fta nrl into melb so far this year we have gotten SOO3 and the recent storm final live on 9 and thats it...all other ch9 games are shown after midnight
I lot of things are in the AFL ‘s advantage in Sydney and a lot people think the AFL is a joke as well. This season is a big step up on last season for Victorian Rugby League. State of Origin on at a reasonable time and an actual game played in Melbourne is a big step. There will be no AFL on Channel 9 next season so the opportunity for Sunday games will become available. I’ve got no problem with the path Storm is taking. There are putting a lot of effort into junior development

Brutus

Referee
They've shown that Paul Roos OBE/Swans ad about three times during the Footy Show.

It gets me pumped every time and makes me want to throw in my rugby league hat for a Swannies scarf.

Ice777 said:
Who was talking about introducing extra teams?

As against what?

Dragging Melbourne sides to somewhere else against their will?

They've had the opportunity for 10 years and haven't done it. Why is now any different?

Ice777 said:
Is that the only way you constitute growing the game?

As against what they're currently doing, yes.

Ice777 said:
For one the AFL don't need an extra side right now as they have the main areas pretty much covered atm and they're more worried about taking care of the teams they already have as opposed to introducing new ones which IMO is a smart move.

No.

The AFL care a lot more about non-Victorian teams than Victorian teams.

The problem is that Melbourne AFL supporters have IQ's that generally sit around the 60 - 70 mark and they can't see that they're being shafted by the AFL.

The AFL are a cynical organisation who take their heartland for granted more than the NRL ever could.

There are 10 Melbourne-based (Including Geelong) teams in the AFL and they've won none of the last 6 comps (including this year). No non-Melbourne club has finished in the bottom 3 since 2001, no Melbourne-based team went to the preliminary final in 2005 or 2006.

The ratio of Victorian teams to non-Victorian teams is 10/6 yet the make-up of the semi-finalists does nothing to suggest that the non-Victorian clubs aren't being assisted to stay at the top of the table and there's proof that two sides are assisted by an increased salary cap.

Hell, in 2003 all 6 non-Victorian clubs made the 8.

Ice777 said:
Now, is it not growing the game in Sydney and Brisbane by spending money to get it into more schools and get more awareness of the game in people's minds? Is it not growth by getting more people to the game through the gates and actually watching the game? It's that sort of growth i'm talking about which is imperative to to the survival of all codes in the long run.

Jesus.

They've been doing that rubbish aleady for 25 years and look at the results... The amount of Sydney born and bred players in the AFL draft is, has always been and always will be negligible. In Brisbane, the crowds are dropping and the ratings don't even register.

Do you know the reason why in Sydney?

The reason is that the vast majority of Sydney kids don't relate to the Swans or the game.

The Swans don't represent Sydney, they represent a pocket that stops about 10k's from the SCG. So, how do they think they're going to change that in the greater Sydney area, by continuing to pump money into Schools who, to be perfectly honest, take the money with a nice smile, then the kids may play AFL at school but they'll play League or Soccer on the weekends.

It makes no difference because the end result is they just don't relate to the game or the Swans.

I live in an area that once was considered to be an Australian Football stronghold (pre-1990), Campbelltown. It isn't any more. The local Sydney comp team, Campbelltown are lucky to get 50 fans at their games, there are four or 5 grounds that are barely used, one I know of hasn't had a game there for years, and the game has all but been ridden into the ground.

By whom?

By the Wests Tigers.

Kids can relate to them simply because they represent them and their local area and they play a game they understand. The moment that Wests moved to Cambelltown nearly 20 years ago was the moment Australian Football began dying in the area.

And it's dead as a doornail now.

There isn't an AFL player on the planet who could walk through any large Western Sydney street and be noticed.

Ice777 said:
Look at the Swans now to what they were 10 or 15 years ago and tell me that they haven't grown from where they were.

They've grown, as you consider it, on the back of artificial help from the AFL.

The last time they flopped completely over any length of time their crowd average was 15k and less.

Their ratings haven't improved in Sydney one bit. Even their Grand Final ratings last year were less than they were for the 1996 Grand Final.

People here will watch a Grand final, they'll even watch a preliminary Final in decent numbers but only if Sydney are involved and if they begin losing, the number drops sharply.

It's a curisity once or twice a year, nothing more.

Ice777 said:
Tell me that there aren't more schools and more juniors taking part in the game than what there were 10 years ago.

Who said their aren't?

The point is, it's making no impact. It's good that they can't see it though, just means they're wasting their money.

What they have to do is put a team in Western Sydney that the kids can relate to, and it has to be a new team or it'll be a monumental flop. Even if it is a new team, it'll be a flop but nowhere near the flop it will be if they drag the Western Bulldogs up here. And it will be the Western Bulldogs. It can't be the Kangaroos, they don't pull a crowd anywhere and the other teams at least pull in Melbourne.

Ice777 said:
If you say there aren't then you can keep your head in the sand like the NRL and pretend it's not happening.

They know its happening and they are keeping an eye on it, but it isn't having the impact you obviously think.

Ice777 said:
I hope they do get of their arses to do something to combat it.

Yeah, I'm sure you and Collingwood Storm really want AFL to die in Sydney...

There's nothing to combat. They've been pushing it to Schools for decades and made little impact, the kids take the gear and may play AFL at School for a laugh, then on the weekends they play their real sport.

The ones that continue to play AFL are the kids called "uncos", they used to be Goalkeepers in Soccer but now they play AFL.

Ice777 said:
Oh and the next team WILL be in Sydney, when that will be and how it will go only time will tell. But like it or not it's going to happen eventually.

The sooner the better.

The sooner they stick a black hole, a money drain that will make the Swans and Lions look like the Australian Mint, the better.

Look at the ratings this year, on the back of a premiership, they've been nothing short of abysmal. The best rating game all year was last weekend at 160k for a semi-final. That's about what an good NRL home and away match rates on Pay TV.

AFL is 100% reliant on Sydney on the Swans table position. Whilst ever the AFL can keep them near the top by any means necessary, even at the detriment to the Melbourne clubs, they'll do just that.

Green Machine

First Grade
I have no problem with the AFL spending what they like on junior development.
The biggest misconception for the AFL is because they have had everything own way in Victoria with no competition since the birth of football (rules/Union/League/soccer) in the country, they think that because of their overall dominance in Victoria, that if they just build it elsewhere, that new market will just embrace it. The Kangaroos in 1998 becoming Western Sydney’s team was as about as likely as the NRL taking over Bendigo.
To think now, that because the AFL has a bucket load of money to spend in Western Sydney, they will suddenly create a groundswell of interest in Australian Rules, which lead to support for a second team is a load of sh*t.
Rugby League may do a lot of things wrong, but the junior structure in Sydney is one of the games strengths. Especially in Western Sydney. Below the NRL, Sydney is full of licensed Leagues and other clubs who support junior Rugby League with huge dollars. Even the South Sydney Junior Rugby League is supported by the wealthy Souths Juniors Club. There is clubs in the north like Asquith and Ryde/Eastwood. In Parramatta, there is Cabramatta, Mt Pritchard, Guilford and Wentworthville. In Penrith, there are clubs like St Marys and Windsor.
I wonder if by throwing endless money into Western Sydney are the AFL neglecting topping up their infrastructure in country Victoria, which provides most of their talent. I hope the AFL pure more millions into propping up sides in Melbourne that will eventually fall over. Both the next AFL and NRL deals are for 5 years only. The AFL wants to spend wisely. The free kicks are running out,

Noa

First Grade
You'll have to forgive Ice and his like. All we hear down here is that the fight is already over and that in five years time every one north of the Murray will be AFL supporters.

Anyone who saw the offsiders on ABC this morning can see the type of Mentality i.e. arrogance Victorians have. Brain Waldron tried to tell the AFL dork Whatley that it wont matter how much the AFL spend it wont make much difference but he wouldnt listen.

Using an analogy how much has the US spent in Iraq and how's that going.

The fact is if Rugby League said they were going to spend $100 million in Victoria does anyone honestly think League would make much ground in 5 years. NO.

I suspect this will cost fat andy his job in 5 years when the Clubs ask why hasnt the AFL made much gains in NSW and QLD.

Now Im not saying the NRL/ARL (the sooner they merge the better) should ignore the threat, they need to come out with all guns blazing even getting to the point of schmoozing Local Councils and Schools to insure League is the #1 priority.

t-ba

Post Whore
Noa Nandruku said:

Comparing Vlad to Dubya is a grave insult to the Prez...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Noa Nandruku said:
You'll have to forgive Ice and his like. All we hear down here is that the fight is already over and that in five years time every one north of the Murray will be AFL supporters.

Anyone who saw the offsiders on ABC this morning can see the type of Mentality i.e. arrogance Victorians have. Brain Waldron tried to tell the AFL dork Whatley that it wont matter how much the AFL spend it wont make much difference but he wouldnt listen.

The fact is if Rugby League said they were going to spend $100 million in Victoria does anyone honestly think League would make much ground in 5 years. NO.

I suspect this will cost fat andy his job in 5 years when the Clubs ask why hasnt the AFL made much gains in NSW and QLD.

Now Im not saying the NRL/ARL (the sooner they merge the better) should ignore the threat, they need to come out with all guns blazing even getting to the point of schmoozing Local Councils and Schools to insure League is the #1 priority.

Watched it myself, the reporters came across like the posters at BF, I swear I've argued with them before.

Not one of the got ant facts right, why oh why did'nt they have a decent league reporter on there that knew what the hell they were talking about?

Thank god Waldron told it as it was, he made those other two look like idiots.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm amazed that people feel that the AFL sees Sydney as the major battleground. RL will always be number 1 is Sydney just as AFL will always be Number 1 in Victoria. What becomes important is market share in each others market place. Brisbane looks like prime battleground and whilst RL is still well ahead the AFL have made significant strides forward. the South and West is won for the AFL and the real battle in these areas will be for what sport becomes number 2. In SA its soccer and WA Union at the moment.

On most fronts you would have to say that if the bell was rung now the AFL would win on a points decision. How the NRL responds and what plan it has for the next 10 years will be interesting to see.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Well put Red shortsightness is the problem the NRL has, they should be planing 10 yrs ahead,not 5 weeks.
Also I will watch with interest if they start to stand up to 9 and AFL Eddie,I hope they do

Red is biased because all he wants to see is another Perth NRL side and everything else is secondary.

The AFL haven't made any move since they moved Fitzroy to Brisbane to merge with the Bears. Hardly what anyone would call "expansion". Since then it's been the Kangaroos to Canberra, then to Carrara because Canberra was a massive flop, a few games in Tassie and the odd one in Darwin. Since Tassie is, was and always has been Australian Football territory, that's hardly growing the game either. And Darwin is too small to hold a team of either code.

All the AFL does is bark about expanding their game, they just simply do nothing about it other than bark.

Western Sydney, we've heard it plenty of times but where's the team?

Gold Coast, heard it plenty of times, especially since the NRL announced the Titans as the NRL's 16th team. What do AFL do?

Send the pariahs up to play 3 games a season infront of 6k spectators...

The NRL aint perfect but when it comes to growing the code, AFL isn't the code they should base their decisions on.

Latest posts