What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFLBC

Stallion

First Grade
Yep, apparently they did some sort of crisis piece about cocaine use in the NRL being rife (I didn't see it).
Webster let them have it in the "Thumbs Down" part of his column.

Good on Webster! It's about time the journalists took note of biased coverage against rugby league! Even the lack of coverage re: the recent RL world cup is another failure from particularly the ABC.

insert.pause

First Grade
Yep, apparently they did some sort of crisis piece about cocaine use in the NRL being rife (I didn't see it).
Webster let them have it in the "Thumbs Down" part of his column.
The "expert academic" on societal drug use the abc used has an image of some afl wanker as her banner image on twitter...

El Diablo

Post Whore
it does have sensible stuff in it

What we do know is that the NRL boss was looking for a way to short circuit the relentless and often contrived negativity that has stifled his competition's growth.

Greenberg tweeted his appeal to the game's better instincts in response to yet another typically hysterical, mindless and self-serving attack on the NRL's rules crackdown.

It came not just from the most ignorant and parochial fans, but from those in the media whose self-appointed role is to forensically examine all elements of an excellent sport in search of perceived faults and declare the game to be in perpetual "crisis".

Those players, administrators, fans, volunteers and more reasonable members of the media who understand the damage decades of this relentless and often contrived "crisis" had done to the sport.

They realised, particularly, that ill-conceived criticism of a game that has grown into a wonderful, athletic spectacle has been a millstone in the face of stiff opposition from rival codes.

They know the self-serving mantra of the serial muckrakers — "rugby league thrives on crisis" — is merely an excuse to drag a pretty good game through the mud.

Ignorantly or perhaps mischievously, some in the media decided #TalkTheGameUp was a directive to them not, as seemed obvious, an attempt to circumvent them and talk directly to the fans.

Even usually measured reporters huffed that the NRL had no right to insist the media bent to the game's will and overlook legitimate causes for criticism.

Never mind that some of these reporters have had no problem tailoring their copy to the agendas of valued sources or their media outlets.

But, again, for members of the NRL media to suddenly channel their inner Woodward and Bernstein and claim they are being censored completely misses the point of the #TalkTheGameUp campaign

This was not a demand that journalists report the NRL through a sepia-toned lens and ignore its worst crimes and misdemeanours.

It was an appeal to fans and others who love the game to ignore the very worst indulgences of the "crisis merchants" — a term, incidentally, coined in this column and borrowed by Greenberg.

Thus #TalkTheGameUp was not an attack on the free press by an official armed with a powerful social media tool.

It was a legitimate response to those whose main objective is not to fairly examine rugby league, but to drag a good game into the gutter.

I'm yet to be convinced it is not a variation on Fitzhardon's 'I love rugby league but...' They all use it to try and make their attacks on the game look more legitimate.

gUt

Coach
Hinds has written some drivel on RL but he's also written some balanced stuff. I respect him for now.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'm yet to be convinced it is not a variation on Fitzhardon's 'I love rugby league but...' They all use it to try and make their attacks on the game look more legitimate.
he seems to be attacking his former News Corp colleagues because he has seen first hand how those cretins operate when writing about Rugby League

taipan

Referee
Love Greenburg or hate him, it is refreshing to see a CEO of our game that actually seems like he cares about it and actively standing up for it.

Imagine hypothetically dynamic Dave G attempting to talk the game up.
Uuum, aaaah excuse me, but we are a beaut game, I've followed it ever since I received my charisma implant .
.All the players do their level best for the community, but we just can't compete with AFL,because I stuffed up in the Tv negotiations( because my bosses half owned the game and I have to bow and scrape to Rupert ,as I am in reality ,his hand puppet.
I do not want to upset the Tv execs, they are too powerful and can be mean when they're angry.
And I need to keep feeding Slothfield with all the latest scoops with any off field indiscretion.
We just have to keep playing second fiddle, and live with it.
Kindest Regards
Uuum AAagh Dave.

Latest posts