What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afternoon games

Diesel

Referee
After 4 Saturday arvo games this year & 4 or 5 on the back of last season I think this has been a really good move by the NRL & Fox.

The crowds have been better than I expected, the games have been good quality and less drop balls or handling errors as there is not as much dew around. It's an opportunity to bring a long families and younger kids and will be even more attractive come the winter months. As for Fox, they'd have to be getting better ratings than the 2nd game that was delayed at 9:30.

If NZ gets a second team this 3pm game could be owned by the NZ clubs or the 2pm game on Sunday (12pm AEST) to give 3 Sunday games.

How many here are in favour of the Saturday 3pm game or not?

Parra

Referee
Prefer Sunday & having most games at 3pm. But Saturday 3pm is a good timeslot as well.

Friday night / Sat arvo / Sunday arvo

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Love Saturday 3pm I watch it more than say the channel nine Sunday game. Seems the warriors, raiders and sharks have the majority of the slots for this, so I wish Easts had it a few times even away from home as its a fixture I would readily attend. For me 3pm Saturday is when sport should be played

Afternoon games are winners - and players like it too. Weather like we have had this weekend is perfect for everyone and more families can go to the games. I don't mind 5:30pm games but when daylight savings ends, it will be dark at 5pm again.

But of course it doesn't work for TV does it so the league will never put on more games.

Sunday evening games are just ordinary too. Move that game to Saturday afternoon.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I actually dont mind Sunday night games.

As for Sunday afternoon games, given how poor the Ch 9 is for its delayed coverage, I guess this would encourage more people to go to the games.

As for Saturday alvo, they've been pretty good this season. Now that we have more this season, I have no doubt we'll have decent crowds for these days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When the NRL matures (aedt)

Friday night
Qland and nsw game

Saturday
1pm (3pm Nzst) NZ game
4pm nsw game
7pm Nsw/NQ or NT game

Sunday
3pm nsw and qland game (red button fox choice)
6pm WA (3or4pm wast)or nsw game

Monday
7:15pm game

This would require expansion or relocation to brisbane2, Perth and Wellington.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The perfect draw IMO

1 game Friday night, seriously who watches the second game til midnight?

3 Saturday:

3pm
5pm
7pm

3 Sunday:

2pm
3pm
6pm

1 game Monday night

Paullyboy

Coach
I agree with Vic.

People don't watch delayed games in this day and age. It worked before social media was so prevalent, but now it's about as out of date as a fatty vautin joke.

pHyR3

Juniors
The perfect draw IMO

1 game Friday night, seriously who watches the second game til midnight?

3 Saturday:

3pm
5pm
7pm

3 Sunday:

2pm
3pm
6pm

1 game Monday night

love it except for monday night. shift that to friday. both at 7:30. I reckon combined ratings of friday live + delayed in NSW and QLD be better than monday even if monday was on FTA.

Dave_

Juniors
Any game on a Friday or Saturday is much more family friendly than anything on a school or work night, especially if you have to travel and the earlier game means better quality matches.

I never get it when they say Sunday games and night time games are for families. Bullsh*t.