What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Age limit under review

Wicks

Juniors
If they do this I would like to see them alter SG BALL to U19 and Harold Mathews to U17 and make these competitions FULL YEAR competitions.

If they make this poor decision on raising the age limit your point may be the only way to keep top players playing against each other for longer

Hanscholo

Bench
No it doesn't. The Qld Cup is fine. It's the basket case that is the NSWRL that is the problem and the way the NSW clubs use these second tier competitions. They saw the u20s as a chance to cut costs at second tier level and now they're suffering as a result.

NSWRL = NRL...the sh*t thats left over is the Jim Beam cup, dont forget that. Your pissy little QLD cup is lolable.

fortae

Bench
One thiong is for certain....

the age really does need to be lifted

There is no certainty.

Will they end up dumbing down the game for the average player, who needs time to develop, versus improving the product at the very top level? Its possible.

Elite competitions survive and thrive on making their best players superstars and the more that these player stay and play against each other the better. Individuals may occasionally need to be developed in a different way at individual clubs but the main focus has to be to promote a larger group of elite players.

I have read articles saying that this was a poor year for rookies. I think this year and next year will see the greatest group of players we have seen come through to first grade in a long time. Much of that is down to players coming through 16s, 17s, 18s, 19s and 20s together, the NYC concept and not being sidetracked into over age competitions too early.

That is what is important if you want the game to advance.

Swiftstylez

Bench
They need it to be 22, there is way too much untapped potential for guys that hit their strides a bit older, or start playing again when they are 18 or 19 after having a break.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
If you are 20 and haven't made firstgrade, it's time to get a real job.
The only exception i'd make is a few prop forwards. 22 or 23 is not too old for a prop.

Stagger eel

Staff member
If you are 20 and haven't made firstgrade, it's time to get a real job.
The only exception i'd make is a few prop forwards. 22 or 23 is not too old for a prop.

well wouldn't it be ideal to make an allowence for 3 to 5 over aged players to play in each side?

personaly, i'm more than happy with the current system other than the fact that the NSWRL can probably do a little more with promoting the state cup a little better..

roopy

Referee
I like the current system.
Kids have a living wage and a managable workload till they are 20 - then they have to decide if they have a career in RL or should get a real job.
That is much better for player welfare than the previous system where we kept guys on subsistance wages till they were maybe 23 or 24 and then told them to go and find a way to make a living with a resume that reads "ages 18 to 23 - living a dream".

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I really don't know why we are having this debate. Players that played in the Toyota Cup under 20's that are now 21 and too old and are still not quite good enough for first grade go play in the NSW Cup or Queensland Cup. Pretty simple really.

If an under 20's player is lost to the game because he is not good enough to make a NSW Cup or Queensland Cup team then he either finds another NSW/Qld Cup team or he's just not good enough. Some people talk as if there is no available pathway, but of course there is. Not every single player can make it.

dubopov

Coach
like to see them raise it to u22 and be allowed to send 3 over age players down as well

Wouldn't be a National Youth Comp then and that would defeat the whole purpose of its existence. I really think that all teams should have a Reggies side as well with only over 20's being eligible.

fortae

Bench
I like the current system.
Kids have a living wage and a managable workload till they are 20 - then they have to decide if they have a career in RL or should get a real job.
That is much better for player welfare than the previous system where we kept guys on subsistance wages till they were maybe 23 or 24 and then told them to go and find a way to make a living with a resume that reads "ages 18 to 23 - living a dream".

A very good point there.

Managers also ripped clubs off asking money that could never be justified by the talent of the players. Now many of those players are wasting the money of overseas clubs and there are still those who think the system isn't good enough for over age players, when the quality has been steadily going down.

You have to create a quality pool of talent and the game has to be able to afford them before you look at an overhaul of the over aged situation. There's no point in putting limited resources into a weak competition or sacrificing the quality of the youth competition, where all the best young players will play at some point.

franklin2323

Immortal
Problem fixed. Have a National Reserve grade comp. Teams can still have Newtown, Bears etc Just every team is Alligned with an NRL club If say a sponsor came in with Television Coverage. There's no way Clubs can't cover their costs on travel etc.

How many people would like to see 3 grades on game day? So crowds may grow I have no problem watching Panthers players play for Windsor however I hate them playing on the same day at different locations This will solve that problem