What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ah-kwilla You-ah-tay

Robbie'o'Davis

Juniors
Just got a text from a mate..
Was just told that on page 74 of todays telegraph he's signed for for $500k a season..
can anyone confirm this, cant find anything about it..

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Not quite:

AKUILA PAY RISE SOUGHT

SOURCES in Newcastle claim winger Akuila Uate may ask for up to $500,000 a season when off contract at the end of next season.

Uate has become an elite player over the past two years but was dropped for Origin III this year.

The Knights will have the money available to re-sign Uate but may baulk at such a hefty price tag.

Also coming off contract next season are Kevin Naiqama and James McManus.

At least one of the three is likely to leave.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...te-of-origin-job/story-e6frexnr-1226450380596

Nothing article from a desperate paper. Story Of their lives. Aku will not get 500 k while Bennett runs the show. I he wants it he can find it elsewhere. Love the fella but 500 k is crazy for a winger , even when they are at the top of their game. His defensive flaws are still significant, meaning most clubs will baulk at such a demand. Oh except Canberra who buy anything that shows an interest.

Last edited:

KempoKnight

Juniors
Nothing article from a desperate paper. Story Of their lives. Aku will not get 500 k while Bennett runs the show. I he wants it he can find it elsewhere. Love the fella but 500 k is crazy for a winger , even when they are at the top of their game. His defensive flaws are still significant, meaning most clubs will baulk at such a demand. Oh except Canberra who buy anything that shows an interest.

Your kidding right? He's 2x dally m winger of the year, scores 20 trys a year, is a massive fan favourite and genuine nice guy of the game. By the end of his career he will be considered one of if not the best winger to have played the game Imo. with the cap rising and for what he brings to the side not just on the field but off it he can have the 500k. He has 4 years under Bennet, you think his D wont improve?

Rod

Bench
All I an say is, if he's not here in 2014 I'll be spewing.

That being said I'd be very surprised if both parties couldn't work something out, and also that is an article based on nothing.

Robbie'o'Davis

Juniors
makes sense now..
500k pretty hefty price tag, but if he keeps playing the way he does its justified, that and he would need to pass a grade 4 spelling test

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Pay him the money, he is worth every cent of it IMO. Scores 20 tries per season, has won us his fair share of games over the last few years with some unbelievable try scoring efforts and probably brings in an extra 10,000 ticket sales each year just on his reputation alone.

For a club like us who outside of Aku (and maybe Boyd) lacks any other genuine superstars we really should cough up the money for him, I would be gutted if he left and as a fan would be genuinely disappointed and pissed off with the club if they let him go.

Yosh

Coach
500k... Now that's crazy talk!!!

He won't ask for it. He loves the club and the city and he'll play for free before he leaves.

Alex28

Coach
He's not worth that sort of cash. No winger is worth over 10% of the clubs total salary cap.

Won't be surprised if McManus and Naiqama will be our wingers in 2014. Kev was signed for next year for a reason...

Your kidding right? He's 2x dally m winger of the year, scores 20 trys a year, is a massive fan favourite and genuine nice guy of the game. By the end of his career he will be considered one of if not the best winger to have played the game Imo. with the cap rising and for what he brings to the side not just on the field but off it he can have the 500k. He has 4 years under Bennet, you think his D wont improve?

No. Not kidding. Why would u justify 500 k for a winger who got dumped for a deciding origin game? Why? He dropped plenty of ball and let Boyd beat him twice with the exact same play. Also don't discount the fact he gets great ball and room from Gagai. 500 k is BS for any winger.

Last edited:
500k... Now that's crazy talk!!!

He won't ask for it. He loves the club and the city and he'll play for free before he leaves.

Thats the most yosh like post you've ever had!

I can't see him at another NRL club after all the Knights have done for him, but I can see him go to RARA, would carve up there and would get stupendous $$$ I reckon.

Jono078

Referee
Think about it. If we give him 1.5mill for 3 years in a growing salary cap, that's not TOO bad.

Gidley might be the one looking at a pay cut.

Id rather pay Uate 400k max, but id hate to see him at any other club.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
It'd be the worst thing to happen in Newcastle's history if we lost Aku!! and I mean... THE... WORST!!! I doubt player and club are thinking anything less then resigning no matter the cost...

350k with about 100k in third parties.
4 years.

Yep, he would be mad to reject an offer like this. Under the best coach in the comp in a team on the up and up, owned by Uncle Tinks who has his fingers in many pies for a future job. Living in a one team town where he is loved and Idolised. This all sounds a lot better than getting 500k at the Panthers, eels or Roosters who are all so far away from any success in the next decade.

Spot On

Coach
He was going like a busted six weeks ago. Yes he is killing it now. Confidence is back. He's running at, over and through blokes and he has a bloke inside him who can play as a centre should.

Would hate to lose him but .......... 500K. f**king Bennett would rather eat balls than pay that for a winger. A winger remember. A bloke who is still suss under the high ball at times too.

See what happens with the new TV deal and then crunch the numbers.

I still can't believe Mason is on 50K and Snowden on gazillions??? They play like it should be the other way around.

Yosh

Coach
Thats the most yosh like post you've ever had!

I can't see him at another NRL club after all the Knights have done for him, but I can see him go to RARA, would carve up there and would get stupendous $$$ I reckon.

In years goneby maybe we would have been held hostage and had to pay overs. We are the richest club in the world. Players want to play for us and we'll have no trouble attracting superb talent in the future.

Aku won't demand anything from the club imo. We'll settle thibgs peacefully before the vultures start circling

Alex28

Coach
It'd be the worst thing to happen in Newcastle's history if we lost Aku!! and I mean... THE... WORST!!! I doubt player and club are thinking anything less then resigning no matter the cost...

It really wouldn't. Ultimately he is a quick finisher that needs a quality centre to get him into space. He isn't up to the level where Sailor and Tuqiri were in their prime, and lets face it - there are a few wingers in front of him at present in the "best winger" category in the NRL at present.

His manager has done him no favours today coming out like this. The same week where the club has signed Kev Naiqama to a 1 year contract should be a sign to his manager to talk to the club privately and not put out demands, because quite clearly the club has a backup plan should Aku not work out.

For the record - Matt Johns leaving the club in the way he did is probably the worst thing to happen to the club.

Johns Magic

Referee
It really wouldn't. Ultimately he is a quick finisher that needs a quality centre to get him into space. He isn't up to the level where Sailor and Tuqiri were in their prime, and lets face it - there are a few wingers in front of him at present in the "best winger" category in the NRL at present.

You really believe all that?

I would love to hear you name three better wingers in the NRL.

Latest posts