What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aitken or Lomax, who should be right centre?

Who should be our right centre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gitano

Juniors
Up by 40 and he puts a kick in. He needs more control in his game hence why he's picking splinters watching Euan.

I'd much prefer Lomax play bigger minutes in reserve grade and potentially try to bulk up for a future in the back row.

Red V for life

Juniors
Up by 40 and he puts a kick in. He needs more control in his game hence why he's picking splinters watching Euan.

I'd much prefer Lomax play bigger minutes in reserve grade and potentially try to bulk up for a future in the back row.
Given the context of the game, I thought he exhibited perfect control.

Sure, we were up by a big margin but the awareness he had knowing who was looming and the inch perfect execution of the kick was (and still is) delicious.

Anyway, whether people are pro Aitken or pro Lomax, we should all be pro Dragons and I can’t help but feel the team would be better off with a Lomax getting actual time in firsts.

Host and Lawrie have shown us that given the chance, they’ll thrive.

possm

Coach
Reggies this year for Zach. Spot on he absolutely needs game time and is too green for FG at this stage
Take a look at the numbers, over 90% of members who have voted so far do not agree with you. Common sense tell us that Lomax should be our right centre and only the arrogance of Mary and a few of his supporters have a different view. You are very much in line with the decisions Mary makes; maybe you are Mary or a member of the old boys faction who don't care less about our Club and are more interested in there own ambitions.

It is not very often that I pointedly focus on the foolish views of others however, on this occasion I cannot help myself.

One asks themselves, how far must our great Club fall before the broom sweeps clean the filth within:

Widdop's retention for season 2019
The non-retention of Robson
Mary's extension
Aitken's selection a head of Lomax
The failure to secure compensation for the Club with regards to De Belins stand down

BLM01

First Grade
Take a look at the numbers, over 90% of members who have voted so far do not agree with you. Common sense tell us that Lomax should be our right centre and only the arrogance of Mary and a few of his supporters have a different view. You are very much in line with the decisions Mary makes; maybe you are Mary or a member of the old boys faction who don't care less about our Club and are more interested in there own ambitions.

It is not very often that I pointedly focus on the foolish views of others however, on this occasion I cannot help myself.

One asks themselves, how far must our great Club fall before the broom sweeps clean the filth within:

Widdop's retention for season 2019
The non-retention of Robson
Mary's extension
Aitken's selection a head of Lomax
The failure to secure compensation for the Club with regards to De Belins stand down

1. Widdop. Handy player to have in your Top Squad. Would not call that filth
2. At what price. Certainly not seasoned 1st grade hooker money. No where near McInnes and good luck to him if he gets hooker 1st grade money elsewhere on spec.
3. Tend to agree, but some journo brought up a stat the other day, McGregor has the highest winning percentage of all current coaches to never win a premiership.
4. Agree, But Aitken's form in the past few weeks defensively anyway has improved.
5. ATM. I am hearing the Dragons strongly believe he will playing sooner than you think and dont need to secure compo regardless of this weeks decision

18to87

First Grade
1. Widdop. Handy player to have in your Top Squad. Would not call that filth
2. At what price. Certainly not seasoned 1st grade hooker money. No where near McInnes and good luck to him if he gets hooker 1st grade money elsewhere on spec.
3. Tend to agree, but some journo brought up a stat the other day, McGregor has the highest winning percentage of all current coaches to never win a premiership.
4. Agree, But Aitken's form in the past few weeks defensively anyway has improved.
5. ATM. I am hearing the Dragons strongly believe he will playing sooner than you think and dont need to secure compo regardless of this weeks decision
On point 2: Fair viewpoint, but Mary didn't give Robson a chance. Late last season McInnes could have easily benefitted from a 25-minute rest on the bench for 1-2 games.
On point 3: Mary has a 36% win percentage post-origin.
On point 4: Let's wait and see until he goes against some better opposition before we say his defence has improved. We know that the right side was very solid immediately with Lomax last year. Regardless, Aitken can't and won't pass and the halves seem to be spending a lot more time going to Lafai recently.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
The has been a lot of discussion on the forum on who should be our right centre. Now you can vote for your choice; Aitken or Lomax.
1.Will representatives of the forum take the results to Mary?
2.Will the winner take the right centre position?
3.If Mary doesnt pick the winner in the position, what are the ramifications for Mary, can he be stood down
4.How long is this vote going to be opened for?
5.What safe measures have you put in place so there is no vote rigging?
6.Will the loser of this poll be executed Game of Thrones style?

ozbuck

Juniors
Aitken is a solid player, no doubt. He has great physical strength, but he isn't a feared attacking centre, and he got smoked by Latrell last year. Lomax is still a little green physically, but his attacking skill is really dangerous.

I always think if we were to let Aitken go from the club it would be very similar to Mitch Rein. We wouldnt notice his absence with a good centre replacement... especially with Lomax.

BLM01

First Grade
On point 2: Fair viewpoint, but Mary didn't give Robson a chance. Late last season McInnes could have easily benefitted from a 25-minute rest on the bench for 1-2 games.
On point 3: Mary has a 36% win percentage post-origin.
On point 4: Let's wait and see until he goes against some better opposition before we say his defence has improved. We know that the right side was very solid immediately with Lomax last year. Regardless, Aitken can't and won't pass and the halves seem to be spending a lot more time going to Lafai recently.
Your points are also are balanced view
Point 2. I do believe the Dragons are on the look out for another fringe hooker if they think Robson is not part of their future. We are assuming it is a done deal...or is it?. Media speak ATM
Get your point re given a go. Now we have Ben Hunt in need who can back up Cam and someone else can slot in the halves but that would not be my choice now. We should by vying for a fringe hooker now and have someone lined up if they dont choose to re sign him.

Point 3. Very true without checking your calcs but then origin becomes an acceptable excuse which I hate. They used to defend Bennett that way too.
Generally everyone measures the coaches on actual win / loss ratios not breaking it down further...but I certainly have and its a real burning issue for me on his non-ability to adapt and change on the run or in the course of a season. See what 19 brings :eek:

Point 4. BTW. I have been calling for Lomax to get a start as No. 3 as he will surpass Aitken as a more valuable centre. Aitken is walking on egg shells as Zac breathes down his neck. Zac can yell out in their video review.."look at that bombed try...and "poor read in defense" just to remind Mary...but
ATM it is Euie's to lose. We all will be watching very closely. I have given up on him passing to set up his winger. It just wont happen naturally and if it does it will be in slow motion and will kill the moment.

see this is the thing ... he hasnt .. he has been in better form yes - but extremely good?

Look at how many times Ravalawa has to catch a contested ball - This is on Aitken - his postitional play on kicks is appalling and he can not protect his wingers .. Never has been able to ...

There is near uniform consent that Zac gets the nod over Euan but this is a real stretch.

There is NIL impetus on centres in any legal rugby league tactic to ensure attacking kicks are fielded uncontested.

18to87

First Grade
Your points are also are balanced view
Point 2. I do believe the Dragons are on the look out for another fringe hooker if they think Robson is not part of their future. We are assuming it is a done deal...or is it?. Media speak ATM
Get your point re given a go. Now we have Ben Hunt in need who can back up Cam and someone else can slot in the halves but that would not be my choice now. We should by vying for a fringe hooker now and have someone lined up if they dont choose to re sign him.

Point 3. Very true without checking your calcs but then origin becomes an acceptable excuse which I hate. They used to defend Bennett that way too.
Generally everyone measures the coaches on actual win / loss ratios not breaking it down further...but I certainly have and its a real burning issue for me on his non-ability to adapt and change on the run or in the course of a season. See what 19 brings :eek:

Point 4. BTW. I have been calling for Lomax to get a start as No. 3 as he will surpass Aitken as a more valuable centre. Aitken is walking on egg shells as Zac breathes down his neck. Zac can yell out in their video review.."look at that bombed try...and "poor read in defense" just to remind Mary...but
ATM it is Euie's to lose. We all will be watching very closely. I have given up on him passing to set up his winger. It just wont happen naturally and if it does it will be in slow motion and will kill the moment.
Good points. The only thing to add is that several people were posting on Facebook that Robson himself was confirming the move to NQ for next year. Not a press release, but I'd say it's done. RE Aitken, I wasn't aware that he was in the leadership group. This says a lot as to how he managed to lose his spot once healthy last season, but then retained it again during the offseason. Its becoming clearer by the day that Mary is building his reputation within the club on how he manages his top 15 players or so and how they love to play for him. On one hand, that is great, but on the other, there are clearly other coaches in the NRL that would not allow a future star to languish on the bench in favour of a one trick pony in the leadership group. To me, Aitken actually seems to fit the mould of the utility player Mary wishes he had.

maestro1

Bench
Not all votes are equal possm, my dear boy.

Are you related to Aitken? Only family would defend him so consistently and vehemently. Lomax has more footy brains, skill and ability in his little toe than Aitken has in his whole body. Aitken has strength and speed. Im afraid that is where it ends for Euan

RufusRex

Post Whore
There is near uniform consent that Zac gets the nod over Euan but this is a real stretch.

There is NIL impetus on centres in any legal rugby league tactic to ensure attacking kicks are fielded uncontested.

bullshit .. the centres prime job on the bomb is to block the chasing wingers ... Lafai wins us the game doing it.

get into the right position early on the correct line .. it is coached and it is a must have skill for the top centres.

possm

Coach
bullshit .. the centres prime job on the bomb is to block the chasing wingers ... Lafai wins us the game doing it.
Lucky for us it was not the right edge because Rava can't catch the high ball and Aitken dose not supply any protection.

kit66

Bench
I say Lomax for his youth, skill and goal kicking. Also has ball skills and general kicking skills, can throw a lovely pass for his winger when needed.
Aitken has been going OK but you know his defence will be found wanting at some point - possibly as early as next Thursday.

Crush

Coach
I'm not 100% sold on Lomax like a heap on here are but I say give the kid a go to find out what he's got.
We know what we get from Aitken and Lafai and thats a 7/10 at their absolute peak. Why not give Lomax two months of footy starting 3 and see if he is an 8, 9 or 10.
If he isn't up to NRL after a couple of months of starts then drop him back to CC but at least we would know what we have.
I don't think we really know how good he is after only 2 games last year where he looked great and a couple of trials this year where he was poor.
Give the kid a crack.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm not 100% sold on Lomax like a heap on here are but I say give the kid a go to find out what he's got.
We know what we get from Aitken and Lafai and thats a 7/10 at their absolute peak. Why not give Lomax two months of footy starting 3 and see if he is an 8, 9 or 10.
If he isn't up to NRL after a couple of months of starts then drop him back to CC but at least we would know what we have.
I don't think we really know how good he is after only 2 games last year where he looked great and a couple of trials this year where he was poor.
Give the kid a crack.

He was played out of position by "Super coach " this year. Guys like John's /Fittler etc rate Lomax very highly...future origin player...

You play any of these young guys in 1st grade and there is a learning curve. He handled Inglis o.k and the other finals game against Broncs as well....aitken has been making the same mistakes for 4 years...

Bottom-line is if we don't pick him, sooner or later another club will pick him up.

Latest posts