What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alan Tounge

LESStar58

Referee
Fantastic player, great leader and overall top bloke.

I met him in a pub in Melbourne in 2007 before the Broncos final when Costigan and Carney were still playing for the Raiders and they were all down on the end of season trip. My friends were down from Sydney for the game and we were having dinner and we knew they were all out the front but Tongue came in to the pub and a friend of mine, who is loud and boisterous and doesn't care who knows it, let rip at the top of her lungs "HELLO MR TONGUE! WHY ARE YOU IN MELBOURNE?!".

He turned and look at us and saw us all in our Storm gear and he came over and had a chat with us for a good 10 or 15 minutes. Outside of Petero he's the lovliest footballer I've ever had the fortune to meet.

Green Machine

First Grade
What can I say about Tonguey. A very good backrower, a great team player, a great clubman, a great captain and close to one of the worst No.9’s in the NRL. Passing from dummy half was never one of his strengths,

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If half our shitheads played with as much heart as he did we would be a better side. That said even out of the disaster that was his move to hooker (the tongue double pump will not be missed) his body has just broken down. He struggles with defence and its a bit sad seeing him miss tackles or just watching players score tries past him.

I hope he stays on in the club in some role. Never the most skilled bloke but made a career out of working hard.

Sad to see him go, a great clubman for the Raiders who is very likable. Sad he had to end his career being misused by a clueless coach. One of those players who would always have a go, no matter how bad things would get.

skeepe

Immortal
What an absolute legend. Feel so sorry for the poor guy. He probably knew better than anyone that he wasn't up to it anymore, at least at hooker.

An absolute legend of the green. At his peak should have represented NSW during a period of QLD dominance which required a player of heart and leadership. Lets not forget he won Dally M hooker of the year and captain of the year in 2008. One year later he is thrust into an unfamiliar position by a clueless 'coach' and tonguey is a shadow of his former self. I hope tongues last couple of years don't tarnish the rest of his career.

If the last couple years do indeed tarnish the career of alan tongue then a certain coach of ours has a lot to answer for.

But anyway, Well done alan on an amazing career and the selflessness in putting a club you and all the fans love before yourself.

Absolute champion and one of my favourite players ever.

Lets pack out canberra stadium for his farewell!

Interesting, given you said this in another thread:

Yeah, I'm not blaming Furner at all for making that call. As you said, it really gave Fensom the chance to showcase his talents and it is safe to say he is now one of the games leading locks. I just stated for Tongue's own personal development, the move to dummy half wasn't too ideal.

So which is it? Is it Furner's fault or isn't it? Seems you can't make up your mind, and you're using his retirement to take yet another shot at the coach.

Apart from that I agree with most of your post.

And for the record, I don't think a bad season (that's all it is, Tongue was actually half decent as a hooker in previous years - not great, but decent, this year his body just isn't willing) will detract from Tongue's career. When you think of Steve Walters, do you remember his exploits for the Raiders, or do you remember that he finished his career as a bench player struggling to get a game at Newcastle?

0e8d603ddaedc902704b58a64536a0e5.jpg

Gold

Patorick

Staff member
Great club player.

He was very unlucky not to have played Origin.

Hope to hear him more on ABC Radio over the years.

Interesting, given you said this in another thread:

So which is it? Is it Furner's fault or isn't it? Seems you can't make up your mind, and you're using his retirement to take yet another shot at the coach.

Apart from that I agree with most of your post.

And for the record, I don't think a bad season (that's all it is, Tongue was actually half decent as a hooker in previous years - not great, but decent, this year his body just isn't willing) will detract from Tongue's career. When you think of Steve Walters, do you remember his exploits for the Raiders, or do you remember that he finished his career as a bench player struggling to get a game at Newcastle?

2 different family members use this account. I tried making my own but it didnt work once; I don't use this forum very often, I prefer posting on a dedicated raiders forum, but I occasionally feel desire to comment on this forum too.

Hmmm I thought me and old broski shared many of the same opinions regarding our raiders, obviously not.

I may get around to making up myself an account, one day if i can be bothered.

aussies1st

Staff member
It's a shame he had to play his last few years as hooker as that isn't the memory we should have of him. None the less he still will be a club legend.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Have taken the young bloke (Raiders fan) twice to meet Tonguey when he was in town for a trial and for a city/country game. Both times I was blown away by the guy's enthusiasm, genuine nature and just how humble he seemed about things you'd expect others to take for granted. Naturally my young fella has #13 on his jersey, and Alan's autograph sits proudly above that number.

Thanks Alan, for showing a kid who's a fellow ranga that not only can effort bring reward, but that you can succeed in life without being a rude, condescending, obnoxious or bogan far-quit.

typicalfan

Coach
If we are being honest he wouldn't make a Raiders all time 17, he has never been the most talented, but he was a hard worker and a good captain, funny you watch the Raiders play with him in the last few years and you wonder what he brings to the table but see them play without him and they look like cannon fodder. His on field leadership is underrated I think. Shows how much that attribute is worth.

Raider_69

Post Whore
If anyone gets the chance, have a listen to his interviews on local ABC

the one thing he spoke about which i think summed up tonguey, was when he spoke about young players, i dont have the exact quote but it was something like

these young kids, they think RL owes them something, Rugby league doesnt owe me anything, i owe rugby league, im so lucky to have been able to play this game for such a long time and make a living out of it, but if i couldnt id be back home playing footy with my brothers because i just love playing footy.

not word for word, but the general gist is there.