What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albert Kelly

parra pete said:
Classic sledge. Good onya. :lol: I probably deserved it...:lol: Good fun!
Yep, I am a BIG fan of Josh and Shifty...both are good players in my eyes. I wouldn't be concerned if T Smith went to Bronco's and we got either Lewis or Sherwin as a replacement.
Mick Lett will prove himself in the NRL THIS year - if he gets a chance..
But, I'll admit, I haven't seen him play for a while.
Artie Beetson has a huge wwrap on Mick..and I think Arthur is a good judge. Size may go against him, but Merritt gets across the line fairly often and he not a big bloke

Beetson had a wrap on a few boys, Especially the 2004 Roosters GF final winning Flegg team. None of them are playing 1st grade now and never will. Beetson seems to put the greatness tags on a fair few players. Some make it some don't.

just on a side note:
The Parra 2004 Flegg team which contained the likes of Mateo,T Smith, Hauraki, Zeb Taia, Green, Matt Keating, Ben Smith,Cordoba would have won the GF that year if Parra didn't promote them to the higher grades during the middle of the year. Parra were undfeated until players were shifted upwards.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
Beetson had a wrap on a few boys, Especially the 2004 Roosters GF final winning Flegg team. None of them are playing 1st grade now and never will. Beetson seems to put the greatness tags on a fair few players. Some make it some don't.

just on a side note:
The Parra 2004 Flegg team which contained the likes of Mateo,T Smith, Hauraki, Zeb Taia, Green, Matt Keating, Ben Smith,Cordoba would have won the GF that year if Parra didn't promote them to the higher grades during the middle of the year. Parra were undfeated until players were shifted upwards.

actually, I don't think that's Beetsons fault he did is job well, it was than up to the coach's to get them to the next level and they failed...i think the coach's f**ked their careers up, the only one's who will probably play firstgrade at other clubs would be Le'Strange and Soward.

eelavation said:
actually, I don't think that's Beetsons fault he did is job well, it was than up to the coach's to get them to the next level and they failed...i think the coach's f**ked their careers up, the only one's who will probably play firstgrade at other clubs would be Le'Strange and Soward.

Didn't see that it was his fault. I was just referring to him being in the Papers giving huge wraps to young players. Basically i was implying that even though Beetson was a great player and knows heaps about the game it doesn't mean everything he says is gold e.g. Parra Pete saying that Beetson said Lett would be a superstar.

I saw Jamie soward play flegg a fair few times and I was unimpressed in 2004. He didn't have an ounce of organising skills to play halfback but the Roosters (Beetson) were parading him as the Saviour. Just because you can score individual trys doesn't make you a great player, You need to have some vision. And that's what Soward lacked and still lacks. If i were coaching Soward I would be playing him at hooker so he can utilise the decent running game that he has.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:

Was Soliolo (spelling) part of that Flegg side and I am nearly sure the 3 Paea boys were in that side and they have all played a bit of first grade. I do get your point thought.

I would love to know what has happened to Jamie Soward. The absolute next big thing and he doesn't even look close to first grade in a side that hasn't won a game yet with Anasta, Pearce, Lewis and Auberson all apparently ahead of him in the halves.

The Colonel

Immortal
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Was Soliolo (spelling) part of that Flegg side and I am nearly sure the 3 Paea boys were in that side and they have all played a bit of first grade. I do get your point thought.

I would love to know what has happened to Jamie Soward. The absolute next big thing and he doesn't even look close to first grade in a side that hasn't won a game yet with Anasta, Pearce, Lewis and Auberson all apparently ahead of him in the halves.

I think Soliola and the Paea boys came through afterwards. They were definitely not part of the side that played the GF.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:

they had

Peewee Moke - Now playing Penrith lower grades.
Albert Hopoate - who's just about to complete his mission
McConkie Tuasa - playing for us
Sam Perrett - Playing firsts for the chooks.

other than the others mentioned that's all i remember.

Bigfella

Coach
The chooks had gfinal teams in all three top grades ds they not?

That was a classic case of the young guns failing to take the next step ... and the older guns rusting up and backfiring LOL

On Artie, it is interetsing that until a few years ago he and Crusher were reagrded as the best individual scouts.

On reflection it may actually be that their respective clubs had the best planning and structure.

It would seem that Peter O'Sullivan at Storm is clearly the stand out scout now?

parra pete

Referee
Bigfella said:
The chooks had gfinal teams in all three top grades ds they not?

That was a classic case of the young guns failing to take the next step ... and the older guns rusting up and backfiring LOL

On Artie, it is interetsing that until a few years ago he and Crusher were reagrded as the best individual scouts.

On reflection it may actually be that their respective clubs had the best planning and structure.

It would seem that Peter O'Sullivan at Storm is clearly the stand out scout now?

Peter is easily the best. I know a kid that he has signed for the Storm - hasn't played grade yet - who they (Storm) are expecting him to be a great NRL player.
Pete signed him to a scholarship when he was 15 (from Red Bend Forbes). He toured with the Aussie Schoolboys last year as a centre, but they (the Storm) see him as a back rower..His name is Joel Thompson. About 6'3 with great ball skills. His dad, Michael Spinks played NRL with the Raiders.
Keep an eye out for him in 2008/2009.
I will catch up with Arthur at SOO in Brisbane on July 4, and will ask him why, in his opinion, these players haven't kicked on. I haven't seen Artie for at least 12 months.
He was supposed to come down here with Bomber a couple of weeks ago, but had to cancel at the last minute.

Bigfella

Coach
We should try to sign up O'Sullivan Pete?

(And we can sign you up as the talent scout for reserve grade? LOL yes I was proud of that sledge but it obviously shows I have taken notice of your posts so it must be a reverse compliment?)

Does anyone know whether these scouts' wages are included or accountable in any way under the salary cap? I understand coaches are not, so would assume these guys are not included?

One thing in our favour is the reputation we have as a club and the infrastructure - I think Smithy was a big part of that, in reassuring parents that this was a good place for young men to come to. Probably sways a lot of these signings as much as the $$$?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
We should try to sign up O'Sullivan Pete?

(And we can sign you up as the talent scout for reserve grade? LOL yes I was proud of that sledge but it obviously shows I have taken notice of your posts so it must be a reverse compliment?)

Does anyone know whether these scouts' wages are included or accountable in any way under the salary cap? I understand coaches are not, so would assume these guys are not included?

One thing in our favour is the reputation we have as a club and the infrastructure - I think Smithy was a big part of that, in reassuring parents that this was a good place for young men to come to. Probably sways a lot of these signings as much as the $$$?

no they're not mate..only player payments.

parra pete

Referee
Peter O'Sullivan is the first bloke that should be targetted.
He signed Cameron Smith, ignoring all the howls about letting Richard Swain go, spotted Cooper Cronk, Israel Folau, got Ryan Hoffman from Wests when he was in JF, snapped up Greg Inglis. Spotted Brett White and Garrett Crossman when they were in lower grades. The bloke has the 'eye'. They are just some
The storm looked after Joel very well when he was at school. I know the Raiders are keen to snap him up, as well as a couple of others.
I think, and so does his Dad, he owes the Storm something..and he will continue with the Club. Joel has HUGE wraps on him.
Simon Huntly, who coached the Australian schoolboys also told me that Joel has what it takes (btw, Joel and Simon are both from Ivanhoe in the far western part of the State..not a bad effort by the little community)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I've been to ivanhoe, almost as bad as Tingha tbh.

Definately the benchmark for scouts. His recruitment has been first rate.

parra pete

Referee
......and that is not to mention Billy Slater and Dallas Johnson.
He has the gift. I think he went to the Storm from St George.

parra pete

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
I've been to ivanhoe, almost as bad as Tingha tbh.

Definately the benchmark for scouts. His recruitment has been first rate.

What were you doing out there?.. Not in the Gaol? :lol:
Michael Porter (ex Sharks) is a warden at the Gaol, as was Joel's dad, Mick.

It is not the backside of the earth, but if the world was constipated that would be the first place to go to check it out.

Great people in Ivanhoe though...the salt of the earth..,.the further north you go up the Ivanhoe Road, the better the people get. They would give you their bums and sh*t through their ribs.. They are doing it very tough with the drought...very tough. Poor buggars, I don't know how they live.
I got a letter at work last week with the stamp pinned on to the envelope. It was from a farmer looking for someone to take his goldfish out on agistment..It's pretty dry....

Ron Jeremy

Coach
parra pete said:
What were you doing out there?.. Not in the Gaol? :lol:
Michael Porter (ex Sharks) is a warden at the Gaol, as was Joel's dad, Mick.

It is not the backside of the earth, but if the world was constipated that would be the first place to go to check it out.

Great people in Ivanhoe though...the salt of the earth..,.the further north you go up the Ivanhoe Road, the better the people get. They would give you their bums and sh*t through their ribs.. They are doing it very tough with the drought...very tough. Poor buggars, I don't know how they live.
I got a letter at work last week with the stamp pinned on to the envelope. It was from a farmer looking for someone to take his goldfish out on agistment..It's pretty dry....

Stopped by there once when travelling around Western NSW. It was a hole, very very hot, dry and thats about it:lol: . Still though dont like to see farmers struggle with the drought.

The worst place i've been too is definately Tingha, and absolute heap and probably the ugliest town i've ever encountered.

Poor Mick Potter

parra pete

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
Stopped by there once when travelling around Western NSW. It was a hole, very very hot, dry and thats about it:lol: . Still though dont like to see farmers struggle with the drought.

The worst place i've been too is definately Tingha, and absolute heap and probably the ugliest town i've ever encountered.

Poor Mick Potter

Not Mick Potter....Mick PoRTER

Mick Potter is coaching Le Catalans in the ESL

I played football at Ivanhoe. The Ground is known as Sahara Oval - for obvious reasons. If they gave you the choice of playing on the tar road or the ground, you would choose the road every time.
They had the Oval TURFED in the late 80's and had Kerry Boustead come down for the official "opening". They played Hay and flogged the arse of us. I was President of the Magpies at the time..and it was the first time EVER that Ivanhoe had beaten Hay...

Latest posts