What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aleague claim equal $$$

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Apparently the ALeague is claiming their new sponsorship is on par with the NRL. If this is true, another example of Gallop under-selling the game, particularly as the NRL receives FTA TV. i hope it is a load of hyperbol!

"Naming rights sponsor Hyundai has signed a new four-year deal which Buckley says puts the A-League on par with the NRL and Super 14. "We're very happy, it's a substantially better deal, and it proves the corporate interest is very strong."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...g-ground/2008/08/11/1218306826961.html?page=2

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting to see that it is built on expansion and that they have targetted the two areas and are starting to plant seeds in those areas. Wake up Gallop!

Still they are a $25mill to NRL's $140mill business so a long way behind yet.

Stranger

Coach
Like it or not, A-League will be sh*tting on all sports in AUS from a great height in the next 10 years.

We just have to hope that they keep soccer as a summer sport TBH...

Eels Dude

Coach
It says they've got a naming rights sponsor for 4 years and that's all.

It doesn't say anything about how much it is worth and how that compares to what the NRL and Super 14 are getting for namings rights deals. It's just speculation.

Eels Dude

Coach
Like it or not, A-League will be sh*tting on all sports in AUS from a great height in the next 10 years.

We just have to hope that they keep soccer as a summer sport TBH...

Disagree completely.

As long as the best soccer players head overseas, which they will continue to do because the money is 10 times better, then the A-League will still stand as a mediocre sporting competition.

The hardcore football fans will take a predominant interest in the EPL and world soccer, while taking a minor interest in the A League.

It's a fad, and that's it.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Disagree completely.

As long as the best soccer players head overseas, which they will continue to do because the money is 10 times better, then the A-League will still stand as a mediocre sporting competition.

The hardcore football fans will take a predominant interest in the EPL and world soccer, while taking a minor interest in the A League.

By your logic league will never grow beyond Australia and NZ as the best players play in the NRL and if people in other areas can't see the best palyers then they won't bother with league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if the best ESL were all playing in the NRL then yes he would be right. Just like if all the best NRL players end up in SL then the NRL will suffer. The A league will grow and will be a major competitior for the sponsorship $ with the NRL, would be foolish to think otherwise given the dominance of soccer in 90% of the world. You can see what a succesful socceroos has done for their code, maybe the NRL could learn something?

Eels Dude

Coach
By your logic league will never grow beyond Australia and NZ as the best players play in the NRL and if people in other areas can't see the best palyers then they won't bother with league.

Completely different situations.

If league is able to expand (big hypothetical), other countries have the population and economy to be able to compete with, and even better the quality of the NRL down the track.

On the other hand, the A League is never going to compete with European or South American football because we just don't have the population, economy, or drawcards to bring in international superstars.

Timbo

Staff member
I disagree.

I watch A-League on TV and go to a few games a season, if it was in winter then I'd have zero interest as I'd be watching league and union.

And I dare say I'm not the only one in that boat.

Eels Dude

Coach
I do enjoy your humour EelsDude...

You know I'm right. The A League will be hyped up for the next couple of years. As soon as it's realised that the competition isn't going to get any bigger or better, the hype will die down and football will have to happily settle for being the number 4 code in Australia.

Every football fan talks the A League up as a threat to League and AFL, but i'm yet to hear a decent argument as to why this will be the case. If you've got one please enlighten me.

soccer better hope the bandwagon stays behind it, otherwise it will end up like union

given past failures in this country who knows if theyll survive.

good on them for promoting themselves so much though.

its something we as the dominant sport in this country should copy.

fish eel

Immortal
You know I'm right. The A League will be hyped up for the next couple of years. As soon as it's realised that the competition isn't going to get any bigger or better, the hype will die down and football will have to happily settle for being the number 4 code in Australia.

Every football fan talks the A League up as a threat to League and AFL, but i'm yet to hear a decent argument as to why this will be the case. If you've got one please enlighten me.

LOL.....I read plenty of LEAGUE fans talking about the A-League being a threat.

I dont see it as a direct threat to the NRL. Rather, it can compliment. It's played in a different season than league - and that wont change because of the need to play the same time as Europe, and many of the grounds used are common, giving us grounds used all year round making stadiums viable.

The only threat to the NRL comes in the way of corporate support. Football in Australia competes on international terms the NRL can't and won't for the foreseeable future - for example, every year now Australian clubs are playing in Asia - in front of full houses and large TV audiences in Japan and China. You may see a trickle of corporate dollars away from the NRL to the A-League and football - but it would be hard to determine whether anyone one sponsor chooses one over the other.

Calling the A-League a fad is just head in the sand stuff.

Cheezel

Juniors
The A League have done well over the last few years.

But as Lowy said the main concern know is to make sure the current 8 teams don't go belly up as they are all in the red. I think only Melbourne Victory is pretty close to breaking even.

Eels Dude

Coach
The only threat to the NRL comes in the way of corporate support. Football in Australia competes on international terms the NRL can't and won't for the foreseeable future - for example, every year now Australian clubs are playing in Asia - in front of full houses and large TV audiences in Japan and China. You may see a trickle of corporate dollars away from the NRL to the A-League and football - but it would be hard to determine whether anyone one sponsor chooses one over the other.

Calling the A-League a fad is just head in the sand stuff.

Thats good reasons as to why football itself can be successful. Internationally, as long as Australia remain competitive then international football will be a great drawcard to the game.

The A League is a different story though, keeping that week to week interest long term in a mediocre competition is going to be a lot tougher. They're doing well to be where they are at, but I don't see much room for improvement.

d3@t3h

Juniors
Disagree completely.

so your saying we should all watch the ESL because they can offer league players bigger contracts than the NRL and that the NRL is a fad and that's it
is that your logic

Eels Dude

Coach
so your saying we should all watch the ESL because they can offer league players bigger contracts than the NRL and that the NRL is a fad and that's it
is that your logic

Don't put words into my mouth. My point is that the A League is way behind the EPL and other football competitions and they are not going to catch up for eons. Different story with rugby league and if you can't see why then you shouldn't be commenting on the issue.

Carlito

Juniors
Was a bit shocked when I read that in the paper as well. I am a season ticket holder for Sydney and talk the game up as much as anybody but something is really wrong if the NRL at this stage cannot get more money for naming rights.

Latest posts