What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aleague claim equal $$$

Eels Dude

Coach
You can't honestly believe that potential investors (and anyone that knows anything about football) won't give a stuff about the Asian Cup and Asian Champions League?!

Surely not.

Investors maybe... but will the general public??? There was interest last year, but only because it was the first major competition outside of the World Cup 06, the Socceroos had played in years. As if anyone is going to care about beating "Asia".

fish eel

Immortal
Investors maybe... but will the general public??? There was interest last year, but only because it was the first major competition outside of the World Cup 06, the Socceroos had played in years. As if anyone is going to care about beating "Asia".

lol....it's only where the money is.

fish eel

Immortal
there isnt room in australia for 4 domestic footy codes.

soccer is now putting the big squeeze on union.

the soceroos have taken away lots of support for the wallabies.

will soccer be the 3rd sport ten years down the track?

its going very well now but even sydney FC are losing millions every year.

the other clubs have bad finances as well

the TV ratings are pathetic, worse than unions.

what happens if australia dont make the WC, does the a league die off.

as a summer sport it has done well to date.

Sydney's finances are getting better each year.

When the A-League started, they (FFA) projected losses for the clubs in the short term as they had the expense, of not just starting a team from scratch, but a league, and Sydney had the need to get big name marquee players to get headlines in the crowded Sydney market.

Some clubs are expecting to break even this year, such as Newcastle.

The reports of Newcastle breaking even came before the stories over the last couple of days claiming they may receive a $700K transfer fee for one of their players

BrisVegas

Juniors
No one is going to give a stuff about the ones in bold.

The A-League Youth competition and the women's W-League will likely be resigned to filler material on FOX, along with pre-season games.

You are way off base with the AFC Asian Cup and AFC Champions League though.

The AFC Asian Cup is only played every 4 years (2011, 2015...) and Australia will (likely) be a perennial favourite. There is no reason this tournament won't draw the overseas stars of the Socceroos to play alongside Australia's best home-grown juniors playing in the A-League. Marketed correctly this tournament will be huge, 2nd to only the World Cup Finals. Australia already has a healthy rivalry with Japan, and frequent games against other AFC clubs in friendlies and qualifiers will drive further rivalries.

The AFC Champions League can also be huge for clubs and prospective rights holders. The competition has just expanded to a 32 club tournament structure, and the only thing stopping the A-League from claiming 4 spots is a lack of clubs. Expand to 12-14 teams and we will be able to claim 3 or 4 AFC Champions League openings. The top 4 A-League clubs get to take on the best of the J-League, K-League etc, but there will be the flow on effect of causing excitement in the race for the top 4 in the A-League to qualify for the AFC Champions Cup. Not to mention the sponsorship benefits of exposure all throughout Asia.

The AFC Champions League will be big over here with increased A-League club participation.

Eels Dude

Coach
The A-League Youth competition and the women's W-League will likely be resigned to filler material on FOX, along with pre-season games.

You are way off base with the AFC Asian Cup and AFC Champions League though.

The AFC Asian Cup is only played every 4 years (2011, 2015...) and Australia will (likely) be a perennial favourite. There is no reason this tournament won't draw the overseas stars of the Socceroos to play alongside Australia's best home-grown juniors playing in the A-League. Marketed correctly this tournament will be huge, 2nd to only the World Cup Finals. Australia already has a healthy rivalry with Japan, and frequent games against other AFC clubs in friendlies and qualifiers will drive further rivalries.

I'd care about it more, and i'm sure many other impartial fans would to, if we were part of Asia. To me, winning the Asian Cup means nothing. We're not part of Asia, and we never will be. So what's the historical and cultural significance of this cup? Same with the AFC Champions League. It means something currently, because it means something more than what we were in before, which was nothing, and that's about it. The only reason it got remote interest last year was because it was a build up to the World Cup qualifiers.

bender

Juniors
I'd care about it more, and i'm sure many other impartial fans would to, if we were part of Asia. To me, winning the Asian Cup means nothing. We're not part of Asia, and we never will be. So what's the historical and cultural significance of this cup? Same with the AFC Champions League. It means something currently, because it means something more than what we were in before, which was nothing, and that's about it. The only reason it got remote interest last year was because it was a build up to the World Cup qualifiers.

You dont think that there is a chance that it might be a build up to the world cup qualifiers next time?:lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
You dont think that there is a chance that it might be a build up to the world cup qualifiers next time?:lol:

Funny. But I'll answer anyway.

Yep. But due to the fact that this is the first occasion there's going to be extra emphasis on it from an Australian point of view. The fact we're qualifiyng through Asia as opposed to Oceania is something worth commenting on.

Carlito

Juniors
Funny. But I'll answer anyway.

Yep. But due to the fact that this is the first occasion there's going to be extra emphasis on it from an Australian point of view. The fact we're qualifiyng through Asia as opposed to Oceania is something worth commenting on.
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting our new qualifying path is a bad thing?

bjm8

Juniors

But we are part of Asia in relation to world soccer. we qualify for the world cup through Asia now and not Oceania...

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting our new qualifying path is a bad thing?

No. I'm talking about the signficance of the Asian Cup in general in relation to football and it's success in Australia in general.

No offence, but too many people are picking up on a single post in this thread, and questioning it, without reading the thread properly and the arguments in general.

Eels Dude

Coach
But we are part of Asia in relation to world soccer. we qualify for the world cup through Asia now and not Oceania...

True that is.

But we're not part of Asia in general...

My point is, as a neutral sports fan, I don't care about the Asian Cup, because it sybolizes nothing. We may as well be competing in Euro 08, or the South American equivalent... Or the Oceania Cup for that matter... It's a warm up tournament and that's it.

Can you honestly see someone excited and cheering, "Yes, we've won the Asian Cup, Champions of Asia, YES"

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Don't put words into my mouth. My point is that the A League is way behind the EPL and other football competitions and they are not going to catch up for eons. Different story with rugby league and if you can't see why then you shouldn't be commenting on the issue.

Just out of curiosity, how many rugby league competitions are there?

Carlito

Juniors
True that is.

But we're not part of Asia in general...

My point is, as a neutral sports fan, I don't care about the Asian Cup, because it sybolizes nothing. We may as well be competing in Euro 08, or the South American equivalent... Or the Oceania Cup for that matter... It's a warm up tournament and that's it.

Can you honestly see someone excited and cheering, "Yes, we've won the Asian Cup, Champions of Asia, YES"
Just to make it clear, I have read the entire thread and am still confused by your comments.

Like it or not we are part of the AFC now. This makes complete sense both given the fact that we are right next door to Indonesia as well as the fact that there was no future in Oceania.

Obviously the standard is lower than that of the Euro's, but winning the Asian Cup would still be a fantastic achievement.

Unlike in Rugby League, in Football many of these Asian countries will actually be quite competitive, as seen by the results in the previous Asian Cup where we were knocked out by Japan after losing to Iraq.

I think it would be a mistake to say that your average neutral sports fan will not care about this, and definitely for anybody who follows football this will be a big deal.

Eels Dude

Coach
Just to make it clear, I have read the entire thread and am still confused by your comments.

Like it or not we are part of the AFC now. This makes complete sense both given the fact that we are right next door to Indonesia as well as the fact that there was no future in Oceania.

Obviously the standard is lower than that of the Euro's, but winning the Asian Cup would still be a fantastic achievement.

Unlike in Rugby League, in Football many of these Asian countries will actually be quite competitive, as seen by the results in the previous Asian Cup where we were knocked out by Japan after losing to Iraq.

I think it would be a mistake to say that your average neutral sports fan will not care about this, and definitely for anybody who follows football this will be a big deal.

I'm not arguing with anything you are saying. It would be a great achievement to win the Asian Cup, and it will always be highly competitive.

What I'm saying is there isn't any symoblism behind it. Winning the Bledisloe Cup means something, Winning the State of Origin means something. There is that history and respect behind it.

But for Australia to win the Asian Cup... while being a great achievement... it's not something the general sports fans are going to take an interest in.

The Wallabies beating the All Blacks means something. NSW beating QLD or vice versa...

The Socceroos beating Japan or South Korea or China... well done and good on em. But it's just not something to get ecstatic about.

Sydney's finances are getting better each year.

When the A-League started, they (FFA) projected losses for the clubs in the short term as they had the expense, of not just starting a team from scratch, but a league, and Sydney had the need to get big name marquee players to get headlines in the crowded Sydney market.

Some clubs are expecting to break even this year, such as Newcastle.

The reports of Newcastle breaking even came before the stories over the last couple of days claiming they may receive a $700K transfer fee for one of their players

wow newcastle broke even when they won the competetion eh, what happens when they dont?

how many millions is sydney FC losing anyway.

last i heard it was 3 million a year

werent perth glory and another soccer club effectively broke, taken over by the governing body?

how much does each club lose anyway?

fish eel

Immortal
wow newcastle broke even when they won the competetion eh, what happens when they dont?

Nothing. Salary cap.

how many millions is sydney FC losing anyway.

last i heard it was 3 million a year

I've heard different figures and 3 million is at the higher end of the scale - but their position has been improving each year.

Their losses get blown out because they paid, in season 1, coach Littbarski and dwight yorke a motza, and last year, Juninho a motza. You can do that if Lowy is willing to dig into his pockets

werent perth glory and another soccer club effectively broke, taken over by the governing body?

Not quite.

Perth Glory's owner sold up, and the FFA took over whilst a new owner was sought. Nothing sinister about it, he was the owner in the pre A-League days and was pumping millions into the club when the NSL didnt even have a TV deal.

Not sure what other club you are talking about?

how much does each club lose anyway?

Don't know. But clubs expected to break even this year.

is the newcastle salary cap flexible according to their league position.

they are close to breaking even after winning the thing, when they come at the lower end of the table, do you mean their SC goes down as well?
:lol:

sydney FC had $10 million or so in the bank when it was set up, apparently half is gone.

you cant keep losing $1 or $2 million a year for a long time.

parramatta LC lost $10 million on soccer.

the perth glory have failed before and they had big crowds.

with the bandwagon going now and clubs still losing lots of money, what happens when the sport struggles a bit

they did borrow $3 million or so from the commonwealth government

Latest posts