What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aleague claim equal $$$

fish eel

Immortal
Thats good reasons as to why football itself can be successful. Internationally, as long as Australia remain competitive then international football will be a great drawcard to the game.

The A League is a different story though, keeping that week to week interest long term in a mediocre competition is going to be a lot tougher. They're doing well to be where they are at, but I don't see much room for improvement.

There is plenty of scope for the A-League to get better.

As more money flows into the game and the clubs become more financially secure (and they are getting that way each year), they will be able to be more competitive with the wages offered in second tier euro leagues. We are already seeing young, fringe socceroos with their best ahead of them return to the A-League, ie Michael Thwaites and Jon McCain.

To say people will tune out because there isnt much scope for improvement is naive. And how does that thinking apply to the NRL?

Eels Dude

Coach
There is plenty of scope for the A-League to get better.

As more money flows into the game and the clubs become more financially secure (and they are getting that way each year), they will be able to be more competitive with the wages offered in second tier euro leagues. We are already seeing young, fringe socceroos with their best ahead of them return to the A-League, ie Michael Thwaites and Jon McCain.

To say people will tune out because there isnt much scope for improvement is naive. And how does that thinking apply to the NRL?

The clubs are still all operating at a loss... they do need more money into the game but that's not going to come from nowhere. Without a decent tv deal, or grand sponsorships for the competition and clubs, it won't catch up to other codes in this country.

The A League is in a very healthy position, hopefully it stays that way, but it's still decades away from contending with the other football codes in Australia.

People wont tune out because they have to tune in first to do so. As I said the A Leagueis healthy in each state, but it's still being dominated by other codes in each state. How does it relate to the NRL? Well they'll have to start overtaking league in Sydney, and in QLD also, and that's not going to happen.

sooperdooper

First Grade
All i know is the a league isnt the comp crying poor....yet the nrl is.
I know which is being better run at present....

A league is no fad.

nor is it a direct competitor.... The nrl show try and be close with them

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
The clubs are still all operating at a loss...

Yes, and they budgeted for that given high start up costs

they do need more money into the game but that's not going to come from nowhere. Without a decent tv deal, or grand sponsorships for the competition and clubs, it won't catch up to other codes in this country.

It has a healthy, big dollar TV deal. Free to air is the missing part, but that will come

The A League is in a very healthy position, hopefully it stays that way, but it's still decades away from contending with the other football codes in Australia.

It's ahead of Union.....

People wont tune out because they have to tune in first to do so. As I said the A Leagueis healthy in each state, but it's still being dominated by other codes in each state.

Dominated in each state by every code? How does that work, when 1. it is played in a different season to the other codes and 2. not every code has a presence in every state, unlike the A-League?

How does it relate to the NRL? Well they'll have to start overtaking league in Sydney, and in QLD also, and that's not going to happen.

Who said it will or needs to? Nobody with a clue.

joshreading

Staff member
Now, lets get this right by stacking Sydney and ignoring the rest. That will get us to the top won't it?

Eels Dude

Coach
Yes, and they budgeted for that given high start up costs

Still have to wait and see.
It has a healthy, big dollar TV deal. Free to air is the missing part, but that will come

It may come... and that will depend in the overall interest of the game for the general public. At the moment no Free to air station is going to pay big money for the rights, this may change in the future but at the moment they should be looking at getting it on free to air to start with on a minimal price.

It's ahead of Union.....

You'd hope so given Union doesn't have a proper nation competition but the A League does. Rugby internationals, their selling point, are still way ahead though.

Dominated in each state by every code? How does that work, when 1. it is played in a different season to the other codes and 2. not every code has a presence in every state, unlike the A-League?

By overall crowds, ratings, media coverage, sponsorship etc. The A league isn't number 1 anywhere and won't be for a considerable time. It doesn't matter whether every code has a presence in every state or not, it's still way behind the dominating codes in each state and that's not going to change.

Who said it will or needs to? Nobody with a clue.

The guy who I responded to with my initial post in this thread:)

Which is why I started posting in this thread in the 1st place.

j0nesy

Bench
You'd hope so given Union doesn't have a proper nation competition but the A League does. Rugby internationals, their selling point, are still way ahead though.

Surely you have to compare apples with apples though. You should be comparing the Socceroos matches with the Wallabies matches. In which case I would say Soccer is ATLEAST on par with rugby at an international level, and that's being generous.

Eels Dude

Coach
Surely you have to compare apples with apples though. You should be comparing the Socceroos matches with the Wallabies matches. In which case I would say Soccer is ATLEAST on par with rugby at an international level, and that's being generous.

I'm not going to compare things I don't give a stuff about. This is the Rugby League forum, I made that point because fisheel brought it up in response to my post. I'm not going to get into a debate about the Wallabies and the Socceroos because I just don't care about either.

In-goal

Bench
When do the TV rights for the A-League go up for grabs, I can see the FTA networks being keen on it.

Disagree completely.

As long as the best soccer players head overseas, which they will continue to do because the money is 10 times better, then the A-League will still stand as a mediocre sporting competition.

The hardcore football fans will take a predominant interest in the EPL and world soccer, while taking a minor interest in the A League.

It's a fad, and that's it.

That's why Stranger said ten years. They HOPE by then with (if) increased interest and money more players will stay and some will even come back. They're not stopping players from leaving at the moment because the A League serves as an incentive for kids to stay in soccer (not switch to NRL/AFL) and use the local comp as a launch pad to Europe and earn big $$. I think 20 years is a more realistic time frame. I know Becks was playing but look at the crowd and TV ratings for an exhibition game between Galaxy and Sydney. Don't pass it off as a fad ED as new teams are already coming and each year has been better than the previous. Albeit all its three years.

Eels Dude

Coach
That's why Stranger said ten years. They HOPE by then with (if) increased interest and money more players will stay and some will even come back. They're not stopping players from leaving at the moment because the A League serves as an incentive for kids to stay in soccer (not switch to NRL/AFL) and use the local comp as a launch pad to Europe and earn big $$. I think 20 years is a more realistic time frame. I know Becks was playing but look at the crowd and TV ratings for an exhibition game between Galaxy and Sydney. Don't pass it off as a fad ED as new teams are already coming and each year has been better than the previous. Albeit all its three years.

Good points. I don't agree with everything you said, but out of everyone who's replied to my initial post so far you've offered the best response so you deserve credit for that.

Was a bit shocked when I read that in the paper as well. I am a season ticket holder for Sydney and talk the game up as much as anybody but something is really wrong if the NRL at this stage cannot get more money for naming rights.

It's a worry if it's true. Maybe the NRL CEO should stop with the doomsday speeches or allow third party sponsorship deals then maybe, more sponsors would get on board.

j0nesy

Bench
I'm not going to compare things I don't give a stuff about. This is the Rugby League forum, I made that point because fisheel brought it up in response to my post. I'm not going to get into a debate about the Wallabies and the Socceroos because I just don't care about either.

You tried to compare the a-league to a rugby union international. International soccer is much more popular on a world stage, and probably in this country, than international rugby league or union. The point is that soccer in this country is not a fad, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not is irrelevant. Is the a-league a threat to the NRL? Yes - we all compete for the corporate dollar. Do I like it? No - I've grown up with, played and followed league.

Eels Dude

Coach
You tried to compare the a-league to a rugby union international. International soccer is much more popular on a world stage, and probably in this country, than international rugby league or union. The point is that soccer in this country is not a fad, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not is irrelevant. Is the a-league a threat to the NRL? Yes - we all compete for the corporate dollar. Do I like it? No - I've grown up with, played and followed league.

Firstly, No I didn't. I compared the sports in general. International soccer may be more popular than rugby, but there's a lot more rugby tests played in Australia, and they have a lot more meaning. Football gets a handful of games a year, a lot of which are just friendlies, though I admit that's not the case over the next 12 months.

Football is a fad, and we're going to have to wait a few years for me to be proved wrong if you disagree. The A League and football can compete, but they don't have a dominant market to compete in like League, Rugby, and AFL do. People will take interest, but it's not going to dominate in coming years.

bjm8

Juniors
Crowd figures & sponsorship dollars aside, you cant ignore the a-league when they have 2 more teams in the pipeline and are talking about growing to 14 teams, and the nrl are just sitting crying poor with no sense of direction.

Personally, Im a lifelong league fan and 2-3 years ago I wouldn't have went to a soccer game for free. Now, im a Qld Roar season ticket holder. They must be doing something right?

there isnt room in australia for 4 domestic footy codes.

soccer is now putting the big squeeze on union.

the soceroos have taken away lots of support for the wallabies.

will soccer be the 3rd sport ten years down the track?

its going very well now but even sydney FC are losing millions every year.

the other clubs have bad finances as well.

the TV ratings are pathetic, worse than unions.

what happens if australia dont make the WC, does the a league die off.

as a summer sport it has done well to date.

BrisVegas

Juniors
When do the TV rights for the A-League go up for grabs, I can see the FTA networks being keen on it.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...-nines-millions/2008/04/19/1208025547207.html

Fox determined to hog the ball despite Nine's millions

Matthew Hall
April 20, 2008

Claims Aussie football's next TV deal may top $100 million a year are not far-fetched. That figure may even be undervalued when you consider Channel Nine has again been rebuffed in a bid to broadcast A-League matches. Nine had been trying to nail a deal with Fox Sports, the rights holder, that would allow the free-to-air network to show an A-League game live each week next season - but the pay-TV operator has refused to budge, even though Nine is willing to flash cash. Football Federation Australia is caught in midfield, watching the ball sail over its head, waiting for 2013, when the current deal is up.

The A-League will have a 12 team competition (minimum, perhaps 14 clubs) by the time the 2013-14 season media rights are up for sale.

Given the savy administration of FFA you can expect separate package deals to be sold for the broadcast of:

- The 6/7 A-League games every week (FTA / FOXTEL split)

- The A-League Youth Competition (starts this season)

- The W-League (Womens A-League competition, starts this season)

- The A-League Finals Series

- The A-League Pre-Season comp

- The AFC Champions League (Expanded 32 team comp /w 4 A-League teams competing)

- The AFC Asian Cup (Once ever 4 years)

- Socceroos Friendlies and WC Qualifiers

- The World Cup Finals

That is a lot of potential revenue. If the NRL are smart they will look to structuring their media rights in similar packages.

Eels Dude

Coach
- The 6/7 A-League games every week (FTA / FOXTEL split)

- The A-League Youth Competition (starts this season)

- The W-League (Womens A-League competition, starts this season)

- The A-League Finals Series

- The A-League Pre-Season comp

- The AFC Champions League (Expanded 32 team comp /w 4 A-League teams competing)

- The AFC Asian Cup (Once ever 4 years)

- Socceroos Friendlies and WC Qualifiers

- The World Cup Finals

That is a lot of potential revenue. If the NRL are smart they will look to structuring their media rights in similar packages.

No one is going to give a stuff about the ones in bold.

Tom Ace

Bench
No one is going to give a stuff about the ones in bold.

You can't honestly believe that potential investors (and anyone that knows anything about football) won't give a stuff about the Asian Cup and Asian Champions League?!

Surely not.

Latest posts