What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyB

Juniors
There are obviously changes that could be made. It's up to the NRL to figure out what the happy medium is that protects players but does not fundamentally change the fabric of the game.

We could eliminate all risk to the players by making it a non-contact sport and reverting to oztag. Almost guaranteed no more injuries spinal, but it would barely resemble Rugby League anymore.

Obviously that would never happen. My point is just that it's a delicate balance between protecting players without radically changing the game.

My personal opinion is that entirely eliminating the risk of a spinal injury would require fundamental changes to the sport. The question is whether we enact those changes because of the first catastrophic spinal injury in 30 years. Or do we accept that Rugby League is a game with an extremely remote chance of serious spinal injury?

Parra

Referee
Interesting article on the ABC News website which people might want to have a read of. It postulates about the issues on this matter that we are all ruminating about here. It includes footage of various simialr incidents over last few years of similar ilk and how the perpetrators have been treated -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...-heftiest-sideline-stints/5364730?section=nsw

A progression of acceptance that has led things to where they are today.

Yet a lot of people still want these tackles to be accepted with a slap on the wrist.

Surrogate

Juniors
Should rugby union ban the scrum? The collapse of the scrum is known to have caused quadraplegia in some cases.

eozsmiles

Bench
A progression of acceptance that has led things to where they are today.

Yet a lot of people still want these tackles to be accepted with a slap on the wrist.

Great line.

We've seen plenty of lifting tackles over the years come close to going wrong and then be met with the considered thoughts of Gus or Matty or Gordie - "that's a good tackle, nothing in it, classic tackle, in the old days you'd get a pat on the back for that etc etc etc". They do the same thing with high shots. If I had a dollar for every time they have done it, I'd put my name on the front of Cronulla's jersey.

Footy fans are "coached" by the media to accept injury and accidents as part of the game. They are even glorified, such as a GF broken jaw. But the vast majority of fans have never seen one like this, and it's not surprising to see different reactions to the norm. If the NRL ever wanted an opportunity to crack the whip on lifting tackles or if they needed an event to change their view, then this is it. However, I don't know how any penalty can be seen as more than a slap in this case.

Knownothing

Juniors
Should rugby union ban the scrum? The collapse of the scrum is known to have caused quadraplegia in some cases.

A friend of mine's 16 year old son was made a quadriplegic when a scrum collapsed at his school in Scotland, he was a hooker (the school, incidentally, was Gordonstoun, where you would imagine the standards were pretty high). That was 20 years ago. Since those days scrums in rugby union are carefully managed at the various ages and grades, to ensure that front rows in particular are carefully matched in terms of ability and strength. If a side loses a couple of front rowers during a match, scrums are depowered. Scrums and mauls are both inherently dangerous, and are very carefully refereed. Once upon a time, a maul could be collapsed by a defending player, now it is against the laws.

Lineouts and kick off situations, where players are lifted, can also be dangerous, I knew a bloke who broke his neck practising lineout drills at training, he was lifted, but dropped, and fell awkwardly.

oikee

Juniors

They are a accident waiting to happen, rugby scrums. Not a peep outta Bandana boy.

Agree with most points over the last 5 or so posts.
The one about tackling around the legs becoming a more dominate call, if only one player isinvolved, i like that. How many times have you seen a great tackle only for the ref to penalise the guy.
Pisses ya off to no end.
Also the high-shots not being punished also used to piss ya off, then they decided to ban high-shots and shoulder charges, the point being we knew they should have not been allowed, many a grand final won by illegal high shots delivered.

georgesnmith

Juniors
thats what bugs me on this thread there are a couple of union fans saying how dangerous lifting in tackles is.

yet ask them to ban competitive scrums and they wont agree.

dead set hypocrites.

competitive scrums are imo far more dangerous.

if these people are actually worried about player safety rather than trolling a rival sport theyll demand that union eliminates competitive scrums urgently.

georgesnmith

Juniors
The game is like watching Greco - Roman wrestling, When I was growing up watching players like Micheal Speechly tackle around the boot lacers was the reason why I loved rugby league...Now its a complete bore...........

so 3 man tackling = wrestling?

will you please make up your mind which you have a problem with, they are very different things

PoWdErFiNgEr84

Juniors
Given Kade Snowden got a longer suspension for standing still, I would think that Jordan McLean and the Storm should consider themselves lucky, consider the situation and how the public sees the decision, and have some respect for Alex McKinnon and accept the decision so the game can get on with things.

Totally agree. Not to mention the way that Thurston & North QLD went on & on about it. It's funny how ppl had no trouble making a scapegoat out of Snowden but the guy whose tackle resulted in a broken neck should be wrapped in cotton wool.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Banning 3 man tackles would make the game better. If a ball handler is stronger than TWO defenders he deserves to get something from that.

And it is common sense that 3 men handling 1 bloke is more dangerous than 1 man or 2 men.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Banning 3 man tackles would make the game better. If a ball handler is stronger than TWO defenders he deserves to get something from that.

And it is common sense that 3 men handling 1 bloke is more dangerous than 1 man or 2 men.

what happens then if two men lift in a tackle?

betcats

Referee
Who cares what union does? Like whats you point? Because union has dangerous scrums we should allow dangerous tackles?

Parra

Referee
guess you'll be demanding union ban competitive scrums?

Well a shite load has been done and these are all but gone in the juniors. I could support removal of the scrums entirely in both codes since you bring it up. But I haven't suggested any rule changes at all.

Parra

Referee
It is interesting that you mix tackling and scrummaging though. Two completely different things and two completely different outcomes.

The tackling style in question has resulted in a devastating injury to an NRL player. This is not likely in junior grades as the tackling style is not replicated there.

With union scrums, it was in lower grades that severe injuries were being risked. But this was not being seen at the pro level. Hence the rule changes at those levels.

Two issues that have nothing to do with each other, and affecting play at completely opposite ends of the respective games.

georgesnmith

Juniors
It is interesting that you mix tackling and scrummaging though. Two completely different things and two completely different outcomes.

The tackling style in question has resulted in a devastating injury to an NRL player. This is not likely in junior grades as the tackling style is not replicated there.

With union scrums, it was in lower grades that severe injuries were being risked. But this was not being seen at the pro level. Hence the rule changes at those levels.

Two issues that have nothing to do with each other, and affecting play at completely opposite ends of the respective games.

so your answer is NO you dont want competitive scrums banned in union

yet lifting should be banned in league despite being less risky.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.