What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ali Lautiti

ozbash

Referee
g,day kipper, howzit going ?
pretty sad state of affairs allright mate.
we can only wait and see...

Kipper

Juniors
Great thanks Ozbash. I'm in Kapiti, but I've moved further up the coast, to a place right by the sea. No golf course over the fence any more, but it's wonderful.

When did you leave the far north?

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Cheers Kip for those links, very interesting listening.

My thoughts are that Ali will stay at the Warriors eventually on a more INCENTIVE based contract. I cannot see Ali going overseas, not away from his family and church. It's either that, or Ali disappears into League obscurity.

Geez, I hope he goes somewhere, even if it wasn't back for the Warriors. Just too much potential to waste. In a biblical sense that Ali will surely understand, God has given him a gift and it would be a true sin to waste it.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
FFS, what a mess.

Seems to me this is all down to low moral within the club which has probably filtered through to Ali's state of mind & hence the comments he made. I can see things from the managements point of view, & maybe Ali will stay & be better for the experience.
But if he goes to England or ends up losing his desire to play altogether, I'll always question the haste in disposing of such a talented player & in my eyes this current management will always have a black mark next to its name. Culling him aint going to suddenly start winning us matches. His attitude will probably completely change with some wins & hope for the second half of the season.

Iafeta

Referee
Auckland4ever said:
FFS, what a mess.

Seems to me this is all down to low moral within the club which has probably filtered through to Ali's state of mind & hence the comments he made. I can see things from the managements point of view, & maybe Ali will stay & be better for the experience.
But if he goes to England or ends up losing his desire to play altogether, I'll always question the haste in disposing of such a talented player & in my eyes this current management will always have a black mark next to its name. Culling him aint going to suddenly start winning us matches. His attitude will probably completely change with some wins & hope for the second half of the season.

The most shambolic thing about it is these comments are consistent with Ali's character, and consistent with comments he's made from '98-2003.

Langers

Juniors
Former warrior Tony not impressed with Ali's release
24 April 2004

Former Warrior Motu Tony believes the Warriors league coaching staff simply did not understand powerful second-rower Ali Lauitiiti.

Lauitiiti was offered a release from his contract this week after admitting in a meeting with Warriors chief executive Mick Watson that winning National Rugby League (NRL) premierships was no longer a priority for him.

"I don't think Ali's passion for the game had dwindled, it is just that he has got different priorities in life, and with his Christian background you can understand that," Tony said last night.

"They just needed to understand Ali a bit more I guess. People are different.

"I have read that Ali wasn't motivated by winning the ring (championship) or what have you, but Ali just gets out there and plays football, and that is what he does best.

"He doesn't carry too much excess baggage like other people do. All he wants to do is get out on the field and have fun."

Tony, a close friend of Lauitiiti's, was granted an early release from his Warriors contract late last year to take up a one- year deal with the Brisbane Broncos.

Last month he told Sydney's Sun-Herald that he left the Warriors because "he wasn't enjoying it" and he "couldn't respond to the way (Warriors coach) Daniel Anderson was doing things".

"As an outsider looking in I don't know what is going on there," Tony said.

"But it doesn't look healthy. With what has happened to Ali and the on-field results. . . it isn't looking good for the Warriors.

"I just hope for their sake they can turn it around."

From day one Lauitiiti has always been upfront about his strong family and Christian values.

He said in 2001: "I believe that if it wasn't for the Lord I would not be here, I would not be playing for the club or any of that.

"I really believe that when I look back I kind of got blessed in a way."

He also had plenty of faith in the club, remaining loyal through the ownership and contractual ructions in 2000.

Since the announcement of Lauitiiti's axing, the 24-year-old has received offers from at least 12 league clubs in Australia and England.

"I think Ali should just follow his heart and that is where he will be happy," Tony said.

"I am really disappointed that the Warrior fans are going to miss out on seeing him get his form back and be at his peak, because he is only still 24.

"What has happened to Ali is disappointing and shows the ugly side of league."

Latest posts