What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard the hype train

maple_69

Bench
Penrith to Unleash Gun Centre Waqa Blake Dubbed The Next Greg Inglis

With Idris sidelined after undergoing back surgery this week, the path has been cleared for Waqa Blake to shine.
The 20-year-old speedster has wasted little time wowing the opposition with his lightning speed, dazzling footwork and brutal fend, all while still learning the game having predominantly played rugby union as a kid.
Even while he was playing the rival code, Blake has always looked up to Inglis, an Origin and Test star he is now being compared to.
“Mum was telling me one time she was watching (NSW Cup on television) in Perth — I was like ‘wow, that’s a big thing — I can’t believe I am being compared to GI’,” Blake said of being compared to his hero.
“It definitely makes me nervous. That’s big to get compared to Greg Inglis.
“Everyone knows GI — I’ve always looked up to GI. Even when I was playing union, it was always Greg Inglis.
Waqa Blake makes a break while playing for Blacktown Workers.
Waqa Blake makes a break while playing for Blacktown Workers. Source: News Limited
“He is big and fast. He’s just got it all. He seems like a quiet humble guy — a good role model.”
While Penrith general manager of football Phil Gould said it was “unfair” to compare the two players, he is confident Blake is destined for the NRL.
“Waqa Blake will be a first grade footballer — I have no doubt — but in good time,” Gould said.
“He’d played very little rugby league when he came to us a couple years ago. He played in our NYC winning team. Last year he pretty much had a full year of NSW Cup which is great development for a player of his type and age.”
Born in Fiji, Blake and his family moved to Sydney when he was nine, which is when he got his first taste of rugby league, but it was short-lived; he then switched to union following a move to Perth at 13.
It wasn’t until 2012 when he decided to play SG ball with the West Coast Pirates that he caught the eye of a Penrith talent scout and moved to play Holden Cup.
During his first year at the foot of the mountain, Blake played on the wing before shifting into the centres and he has no desire to switch position, even if that means biding his time in the lower grades with the likes of Dean Whare and Jamal Idris ahead of him in the pecking order.
“It’s very tough,” he said of competition for spots.
“Dean Whare is someone I look up to — he is really good on and off the field. Both Jamal and Dean have been helping me with how they prepare, being professional.”
Having fully recovered from an ankle reconstruction in the off-season, which cost him a place in the junior Kangaroos side, Blake said his main goal is to “impress Ivan” and earn a place in the NRL side.
But Gould revealed Blake could have played first grade last year if it was not for a sever bout of tonsillitis.
“He would have debuted last year if he didn’t lose 14 kilos before round one virtually overnight,” Gould explained.
Blake added; “I didn’t eat for a week straight.”
“I went from 95 to 81 in just a week, when I came back to training none of the boys recognised me. I missed the first round and came back in the second but I was still a bit weak.
“I started a heavy eating diet and hitting the gym but it wasn’t the same me so slowly, slowly.”
With Blake contracted until the end of 2016, Gould has stressed the club will take its time in developing the young gun into a first grader.
“Everyone can see the potential and you don’t have to know much about the game to know he is a special athlete, but he has had some niggly injuries and nursing him through a sore back,” Gould said.
“Training with the NRL squad is something young bodies have to come to terms with. We have to be patient and part of development is giving these players time and not rushing them too early.”
And while Blake has many of the playing traits of Inglis, including a one-hand basketball-like carry, he is quick to point out one major difference between him and his idol.
Last year Blake played for the NSW resident’s Origin side and says unlike his idol, there won’t be any issue regarding his eligibility should the moment ever arise.
“I’m NSW,” he declared with a grin.

Couldn't resist.

mxlegend99

Referee
Was it his mother that compared him to Inglis? Commentators on the TV? Someone else wherever she was watching the game? That sentence seems like it's missing something.

I think he looks like a young Greg Inglis with his build, power and speed. But being able to realise that in first grade against special athletes is going to be very hard, and if he is even half the player that Greg Inglis is then he will be a great player.

Really hope he gets first crack at left centre. With George Jennings in for Mansour if he isn't fit for round 1. If they get a taste of first grade early on, and then get dropped back once Idris and Mansour are fit, they can work on whatever shortcomings they have in NSW Cup.

JasonE

Bench
The closest thing I have seen to Greg Inglis is Latrell Mitchell, a young fullback at the Roosters. he is a deadset clone.

hutch

First Grade
Has played for Fiji, grew up playing footy in WA yet all the press care about is whether he is eligible for nsw. He decided to play for Fiji and should be made to stick with them!

Latest posts