What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Black to switch codes ... one day

playdaball

Bench
Piri's league passion

02 July 2006
null.gif
By JOHN MATHESON

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]PIRI Weepu's desire to return to league is still burning bright.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Weepu, 22, confirmed to Sunday News he still planned to switch codes - despite being rated as one of the best halfbacks in world rugby. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"I'm just waiting for the time, and when I'm ready to go, I'll go," Weepu said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]And Sunday News can reveal leading league clubs - including the Sydney Roosters and Newcastle Knights - will consider approaching him if he decides to switch codes after the World Cup. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"I've heard of him. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"We would like to investigate him if he did become available," Roosters boss Brian Canavan said last night. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"Having rugby league in his background certainly helps. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]And we would have a full appraisal of the player, his skill level and gauge his depth." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Newcastle chief executive officer Ken Conway said the high-flying club would take a similar stance to the Roosters. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]And the Newcastle Knights will be in the market for a halfback in 2008, with iconic No 7 Andrew Johns set to retire at the end of next season. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Conway said: "We would look at his form. The fact he has a league background would certainly assist him. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"We would have an open mind about who we talk to. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"We have seen quite a few league players come out of union over the years. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"Some have been spectacularly successful," he added. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Weepu, who has been dropped to make way for Byron Kelleher in the opening Tri-nations test on Saturday, first went public about a possible switch to league after becoming an All Black in 2004. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]He has put no timeline on when he would jump ship to the 13-man code. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]He said next year's rugby World Cup in France remained his top priority. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]But Weepu added that nothing he had achieved in rugby had swayed his thoughts that he would quit the game at some point. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"I still watch a lot of league at the weekend and I still feel that passion and desire to be a part of it," he said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"I guess we'll see how things go next year and hopefully, I'll be a part of the squad and do well." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]When Weepu does announce he was off, it was likely spark a huge bidding war in the NRL for his services. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]A quality halfback or standoff with Weepu's ball running and kicking skills would be highly sought-after. [/FONT]

Hope it happens. His brother Billy played at Manly a few years ago.

hutch

First Grade
no.2_lukeburt said:
This is Good news for NZRL, a halfback... he will be better than leuluai at any rate.

would he play half though. i always thought that the union number 9 plays more like a number 9 in rugby league. great news all the same, would bring positive publicity in nz.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
When Weepu does announce he was off, it was likely spark a huge bidding war in the NRL for his services.
A quality halfback or standoff with Weepu's ball running and kicking skills would be highly sought-after.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
He had a brother, Billy Weepu that played for Manly and the junior Kiwis. A mountain of a man.
Anyone know where he is now?

BatiFan

Juniors
I agree that in league he would probably be a hooker. Again, an area in which the Kiwis can improve so would be great to see him come over to league, hopefully with the Warriors.

The Observer

Staff member
Weepu will be a great hooker (9) in League, but he just extended his NZRU contract until 2008, so it will be 2009 at the earliest.