What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Stars Team Announced - Hayne is our man.

Gaffman

Juniors
The votes are in and fans have selected Hayne as the Eels All Star.

The rest of the team is as follows:

Voting for the NRL All Stars team closed at midnight and, while the final tallies are still being compiled, NRL.com can reveal that Hayne (Eels), Slater (Storm), Folau (Broncos), Vatuvei (Warriors), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Kurt Gidley (Knights), Alan Tongue (Raiders), Luke O’Donnell (Cowboys), Luke Bailey (Titans), Anthony Tupou (Sharks) and David Taylor (Rabbitohs) will join automatic selections Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall, Cameron Smith and Adam Blair in the team.

But four representatives – from the Dragons, Wests Tigers, Panthers and Roosters – will not be confirmed until a final tally of the votes occurs later this morning after thrilling selection races that will be determined by just handfuls of votes.

See the full story at NRL.com

Gaffman

Juniors
You could argue that Hindy is more deserving, or that Moimoi would provide more impact to the team but at the end of the day I think we're giving Bennett our most talented player for this game and its up to him to get the most out of Jarryd.

So i guess with Slater at fullback and Folau on one wing, its up to Vatuvei and Hayne for the other wing/bench spot. You'd think Hayne would start, but he also provides more utility value than Manu. Meh, with unlimited interchanges these blokes will be on and off a thousand times during the game.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Simple solution to the backline, no need to put any of those backline players on the bench.

Slater
Hayne
Morris
Folau
Vatuvai

Imagine that, Folau and Vatuvai on the same side of the field. Wow.

Gronk

Staff member
Fair enough. Hayne won every award apart from a Logie last year.

84 Baby

Referee
The four from the Dragons, Tigers, Panthers and Roosters would have to be forwards based on who's already in the side. So far 3 backrowers, 1 out and out prop and 2 utility forwards.
Who wants to guess who the other players will be? Roosters = Mason?

Gaffman

Juniors
Final squad with the additional players from Wests, Dragons, Panthers and Roosters from NRL.com

The NRL All Stars team to take on the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park on February 13 is:

Number
Player
Club
Billy Slater
Melbourne Storm
Israel Folau
Brisbane Broncos
Michael Jennings
Penrith Panthers
Matt Cooper
St George Illawarra Dragons
Manu Vatuvei
New Zealand Warriors
Darren Lockyer *
Brisbane Broncos
Benji Marshall *
Wests Tigers
Adam Blair *
Melbourne Storm
Cameron Smith *
Melbourne Storm
Dave Taylor
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Anthony Watmough
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Gareth Ellis
Wests Tigers
Luke O’Donnell
North Queensland Cowboys
Kurt Gidley
Newcastle Knights
Anthony Tupou
Cronulla Sharks
Nate Myles
Sydney Roosters
Alan Tongue
Canberra Raiders
Luke Bailey
Gold Coast Titans
Josh Morris
Canterbury Bulldogs
Jarryd Hayne
Parramatta Eels
* Indicates automatically selected players

The team will assemble on Sunday, February 7, with its first public appearance at Blacktown on Monday, February 8.

Hayne at no. 20 hey? The greatest Super Sub of all?

Last edited:

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Official one from the NRL
Friday, January 29, 2010

MEDIA RELEASE​

The stage has been set for the inaugural Harvey Norman All Stars match on February 13 with the announcement today of an NRL All Stars side that brings together some of the game’s biggest names in one team for the first ever time.

Wayne Bennett couldn’t hide the smile as he unveiled a side that features Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Benji Marshall, Darren Lockyer, Cameron Smith, Dave Taylor, Jarryd Hayne, Kurt Gidley and a star from every NRL team.

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, joined the NRL All Stars coach along with Marshall and Taylor to end two months of public voting and to signal an historic start to the 2010 Rugby League season.

The NRL All Stars team to take on the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park on February 13 is:

Player
Club
1. Billy Slater
Melbourne Storm
2. Israel Folau
Brisbane Broncos
3. Michael Jennings
Penrith Panthers
4. Matt Cooper
5. Manu Vatuvei
New Zealand Warriors
6. Darren Lockyer *
Brisbane Broncos
7. Benji Marshall *
Wests Tigers
8. Adam Blair *
Melbourne Storm
9. Cameron Smith *
Melbourne Storm
10. Dave Taylor
South Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Anthony Watmough
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
12. Gareth Ellis
Wests Tigers
13. Luke O’Donnell
North Queensland Cowboys
14. Kurt Gidley
Newcastle Knights
15. Anthony Tupou
Cronulla Sharks
16. Nate Myles
Sydney Roosters
17. Alan Tongue
Canberra Raiders
18. Luke Bailey
Gold Coast Titans
19. Josh Morris
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
20. Jarryd Hayne
Parramatta Eels

* Automatically selected players

The team will assemble on Sunday, February 7, with its first public appearance at Blacktown on Monday, February 8.

“With the names unveiled today the fans have certainly delivered an amazing side for the Harvey Norman All Stars match,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“The prospect of Darren Lockyer, Jarryd Hayne and Benji Marshall together against players like Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Scott Prince and Preston Campbell is an incredible one for every sports fan.

“Over the last few months, 50,000 voters have made it clear that these are the players the fans want to see and I think everyone is now counting down the days to kick-off.”

NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett points to the strike power of both teams in predicting a showcase of League’s speed and skill:

“There might be only two points in it at the end but I can tell you that with the players on these two teams we won’t be looking at a 10-8 score line.

“Players on both sides are genuinely excited about the chance to play together and they’ve all got plenty of pride, they are going to want show what they can do.

“I certainly think the fans have done a great job in selecting both teams.”

The Indigenous All Stars team was named on November 20 and is:

Player
Club
Blake Ferguson
Cronulla Sharks
Carl Webb
North Queensland Cowboys
Cory Paterson
Newcastle Knights
Daine Laurie
Penrith Panthers
George Rose
Manly Sea Eagles
Greg Inglis
Melbourne Storm
Jamal Idris
Canterbury Bulldogs
Jamie Soward
Jharal Yow Yeh
Brisbane Broncos
Joel Thompson
Canberra Raiders
Johnathan Thurston
North Queensland Cowboys
Nathan Merritt
South Sydney Rabbitohs
PJ Marsh
Brisbane Broncos
Preston Campbell ©
Gold Coast Titans
Sam Thaiday
Brisbane Broncos
Scott Prince
Gold Coast Titans
Travis Waddell
Canberra Raiders
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Canberra Raiders
Wendell Sailor
Yileen Gordon
Canterbury Bulldogs

As well as providing one of the most talked about Rugby League season openers ever, the match is on track deliver $1.5 million to 2010 community projects, with a particular focus on Indigenous areas.

“It’s a real example of the clubs and the players coming together to help their community,” Mr Gallop said.

“As well as providing some great entertainment, the match will have a lasting legacy through One Community and Indigenous education programmes.

“The spirit in which the game comes together on the second anniversary of the Prime Minister’s apology to the Stolen Generation underlines the way Rugby League brings people together to celebrate the best in Australian sport.”

If one of the newly-appointed NRL All Stars announced today is unable to play in the Harvey Norman All Stars match, he will be replaced by someone from the bench.

Another player, from the injured player’s club, will fill the bench spot – the new player having recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.

While public seating is sold out, there are still a number of corporate packages and seats available for the game. Ticket enquiries can made through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au.

Corporate packages are available through the Gold Coast Titans office on 07 5581 0199.

strider

Post Whore
i still think this whole selection process thing is whacky ..... 20 players? ffs! .... get rid of the stupid automatic selections (who cares who the aus/nz capt/vice is!) .... pick 1 player from each club + the coach gets to pick an extra 17th man of his choice

mrblue

Juniors
Three storm players and one former storm player in Israel Falou in the side yet Hayne doesn't make the playing squad. They have just screwed up the whole concept with the inclusion of three storm players (and isn't deciding who's left out suppose to be a tough choice like it is with every other club? :roll: ). This game couldn't interest me less. They may as well strike it off next year's calendar too if the selection criteria is unchanged.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
i still think this whole selection process thing is whacky ..... 20 players? ffs! .... get rid of the stupid automatic selections (who cares who the aus/nz capt/vice is!) .... pick 1 player from each club + the coach gets to pick an extra 17th man of his choice

Yeah so much for "every" club will be represented.

That wouldve been the simple solution, and the extra 17th player as the coaches choice. Not 3 players from one club, I mean c'mon, Blair and Smith automatic selections?

I hope Hayne is picked in the 17, I'll be going to this game.

carson

Juniors
I guess Luke Bailey will be able to get his one injury free game for the season out of the way a bit earlier than usual.

strider

Post Whore
am I reight in assuming all 20 will play - it'll just be a BIG interchange bench (7 instead of 4)?

even if this is the case, 20 is too many - too many guys sitting on their arses too long

84 Baby

Referee
am I reight in assuming all 20 will play - it'll just be a BIG interchange bench (7 instead of 4)?

even if this is the case, 20 is too many - too many guys sitting on their arses too long
I think it will be too. Players like Slater and Hayne will just switch at halftime.
Agree that the selection process should be changed though. Fans pick one player from every club (general position permitting) and then the 17th man can be the Dally M or Man of the Origin Series or better yet the NRL selects one non-NRL affiliated player from the state competitions... like when City/Country used to be City vs actual Country players

lingard

Coach
I think it will be too. Players like Slater and Hayne will just switch at halftime.
Agree that the selection process should be changed though. Fans pick one player from every club (general position permitting) and then the 17th man can be the Dally M or Man of the Origin Series or better yet the NRL selects one non-NRL affiliated player from the state competitions... like when City/Country used to be City vs actual Country players

A couple of country players would be great. I remember when - was it Neville Elwin? - played outside Mick Cronin in the country team. I think he scored a couple of tries, then played for NSW and then ended up playing first grade for Manly. Those were the days, eh?

Latest posts