What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Stars

Matua

Bench
Anyone know why the Warrior's Maori players weren't playing but their Indigenous players were?

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors CEO Cameron George has explained why three key players at the club weren’t made available to play for the Māori All Stars next month.

Tohu Harris, Kodi Nikorima and Chanel Harris-Tavita were all selected for the David Kidwell coached team, who’ll take on the Indigenous All Stars in Townsville on February 20.

The now traditional fixture is the curtain raiser for each NRL season and three of the Warriors’ most important players were asked to play in the game.

However, the Warriors told officials that none of the players would be made available, although Josh Curran and Jamayne Taunoa-Brown will play for the Indigenous All Stars.

There has been criticism from some quarters about the Warriors not supporting the Māori team, but George says given the disruptions and issues the club has faced, which other teams didn’t, they needed to remain with the rest of the Warriors squad.

“They wanted Tohu, Kodi and Chanel and after discussions with the players and Nathan Brown, the decision was made not to play in the All Stars game,” George confirmed.

“First and foremost, we support the concept of this game, we’ve historically supported it and we’ll support it in the future.

“However, this year, being such a crazy and unusual year, every other club has gone back to normal, except our club.

“Pre Christmas, we had two training camps, one in Australia and one in New Zealand, because of the restrictions.

“Due to that, our squad wasn’t together Pre Christmas, unlike the other 15 clubs.

“We have also got a new coach (Nathan Brown), as well as a significant amount of new players and the three players that were selected are key elements to the whole functioning of our team, every minute that we have to spend post Christmas, makes up for lost time and putting us on a level playing field with the other clubs.

“So the week to 10 days they’d spend in Townsville in February is crucial for us on the eve of the competition. We need to have our have the halfback, the five-eighth and a key middle on our training field every day of the week.

“If they picked other players, like Hayze Perham or Paul Turner for example, there wouldn’t have been a problem with that and we would have supported it.

“But the three players they selected, in these unique circumstances, are crucial to our development and progression as a squad.

“This is not the club taking a stance against representative football,” he added.
“It’s just the marrying up of our very unique circumstances in 2020 and 2021.”

While the other clubs have nearly returned to normality, 2021 could be another season where the Warriors players and staff have to make sacrifices that no other club will be asked to make.

The team will be based in Australia for at least the first four rounds of the season and while they will have some of their their immediate family members with them, they will still be away from many other people they’re close to.

https://my.stuff.co.nz/register/newsletter?type=cupupdates
“With everything we’ve done over the last 12 months, we’re still finding that we’re not on a level playing field, because of those reasons.” George said.

“It’s not about being culturally disrespectful to Māori and it’s a shame they didn’t pick other players, because we would be saying to them that this was a wonderful opportunity.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ease-three-key-players-to-mori-all-stars-team

Rich102

Staff member
Yes. Glad to see the club take a more serious approach to the season.

Big Marn

Juniors
makes more sense to have it at the end of the year. If we lost Tohu to the season because of an injury during that game how would you feel?

Matua

Bench
You guys are a lot easier on the Warriors than me. If the squad can't handle those three being away for a week then it's hard to see them ever being successful.

I'd be ropable if I was one of those players. After 12 months when NZ had no rep teams of any sort play, while Origin continued on this was a chance for those players to play for a rep team.

Rich102

Staff member
I see it differently. A new coach, a new owner who wants results, quite a few new faces, and a season that is disrupted from the start with part of the squad in Australia and part in NZ. They have a lot of ground to cover and I am glad to see they have given priority to the season proper rather than sideshows.

Matua

Bench
I see it differently. A new coach, a new owner who wants results, quite a few new faces, and a season that is disrupted from the start with part of the squad in Australia and part in NZ. They have a lot of ground to cover and I am glad to see they have given priority to the season proper rather than sideshows.
By, the responses here, you seem to be in the majority here. For me, there's an increasing stack of strikes against this team.

I want the "NZ" Warriors to be a team with the best interests of NZ league at heart yet the new signings for this year have just turned the team into an American Football style franchise. If that's what they want to be then so be it but it makes it hard for me to stay engaged. I don't want to support a team of player from other places. May as well just pick a Sydney team if that is the case.

Not letting Maori players play for a Maori rep side while letting indigenous Australian players play for their rep side is just rubbing salt into the wound for me.

Lastly, as I said above, a good team should be able to absorb the loss of three players for a week.

Matua

Bench
I don't see a right or wrong here.
Just two different opinions.
Fair enough, I see a wrong, and it's causing a wavering of my fanship for the Warriors, and truth be told, out of a bunch of mates who used to be Warriors (90s/2000s/early 2010s) fans there's only three of us left. I'm not sure the Warriors can really keep haemorrhaging supporters.

Even this place is quieter than when I joined a few years back.

JJ

Immortal
makes more sense to have it at the end of the year. If we lost Tohu to the season because of an injury during that game how would you feel?
Yeah, follow the pro bowl approach and earn the spot at eoy, was going to suggest an all star weekend in the middle but origin’s got that

JJ

Immortal
I don't see a right or wrong here.
Just two different opinions.
Depends on whether this is to be taken seriously, it should imo but then as above probably end of season, maybe with teams named at Dally M’s?

Latest posts