What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing WAMNRL Developments!

mattystans000

Juniors
The WAMNRL plan to kick off their inaugral season!

Are they in any way connected to the AMNRL or a seperate league based on the west coast. Do they AMNRL provide any assistance or structure? They seem to have some connection to the AMNRL but i can't tell what it is exactly other than a few games against East Coast sides. 12 Teams, 3 pools - it's a good start, especially with a Canadian side.

Here are all the details:
http://rlfc.net/2008season.aspx

roopy

Referee
They are good at putting up websites - but as far as i know they have got together for one game since 2000 and even that game they were short of players.

If they could get a comp going that includes the Mormon Pacific Islanders from Utah it would be a big boost for the Tomahawks.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It certainly looks good, a few typos here and there, but fairly slick. Their 'clubs' page doesn't give away much. I was interested to see the full team names and maybe a player list. Anyone on LU affiliated in any way?

roopy

Referee
In 2000 they had a great website and even had a meeting in Utah where an entire union comp that featured a lot of Pacific Islanders associated with the Mormon church agreed to field League sides for a summer comp.
It looked tremendously exciting - but bugger all happened in the end.

The website looks good - but it is pretty much all the same stuff they have been putting up for years - so i won't be excited till i see some photos of matches.

Copa

Bench
**sigh**

http://rlfc.net/Disclosure.aspx

Steps To Ownership

Review the website.
Fill in the online Application for Consideration. (see contact us section).
Attend a league training workshop (see special events). This secures you a number on the “Priority List for Franchises” and is a non-binding reservation for 7 days.
Discuss the Opportunity with a West Coast Rugby League Representative and review available territories.
Complete the Non-Disclosure and the Personal Profile and return to Head Office with a Deposit. This now fully protects your territory.
Complete the Agreement, send in the remaining Fees and The Training Program is scheduled.

START UP PACKAGE includes...

Equipment: Includes full set of jerseys, balls, book of laws of the game etc.
League Setup: We willhelp you setup your territory for regional exposure and retention
Training: Over the phone support and workshop trainings. We will teach you all the basics and show you how to use our system.
Website: You will have a web site for internaitonal exposure and promoting.
Support: Receive all the benefits of the league membership.
Marketing: We will show you ways to help your business grow using easy-to-do marketing strategies.

From an older west US site.... although the current one is called "West Coast" etc.. this older one is "western american".... may not be the same folk.... but map on both sites looks very familiar though
http://wanrl.tripod.com/
The site outlines the Western American National Rugby League's aim's over the next few years and all the areas that fall under the WANRL banner. Rugby Legaue will be played in Arizona and Utah this season with a view to the states of Colarado and California to play in 2002 and then for Nevada and New Mexico in 2003.
I wonder what happened..?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
After reading the history section of the site I must admit i knew nothing about this --->

http://www.rl1908.com/articles/American-Rugby-League.htm said:
American All-Stars Rugby League Team

Sean Fagan of RL1908.com

American Rugby League All Stars in action against SydneyOne of the more positive attempts to introduce Americans to Rugby League took place in Australia in 1953.

Mike Dimitro, a wrestling promoter, brought together in the USA a team called the American Rugby League All Stars. After preparing in a training camp, the team embarked on an ambitious 26 match tour of Australia and New Zealand.

Fans in Australia flocked to see the Americans. In Sydney they attracted over 100,000 to three games. In other rugby league cities they also proved to be popular. In Brisbane 24,397 saw them play Queensland, while crowds in Newcastle (14,160) and Wollongong (11,787) were also solid.

But what was at first seen as a trailblazing step to make Americans aware of the game of rugby league, ultimately finished as a disaster.

None of the 22 players had previously played rugby league - and it showed. In 18 matches in Australia, the All Stars won three, lost 13 and drew two. They scored 406 points, but had 560 scored against them. In their eight New Zealand matches, they won three and lost five, scoring 157 points to 211 against.

Player-manager Mike Dimitro was an outstanding American gridiron player. He was in Australia during World War 2 and became involved in Services boxing and wrestling matches. He had been approached by the Australian Board of Control to organise a rugby league tour by a USA team on the recommendation of a New Zealand official.

When it was known that a US team was to tour, 52 prospective tourists went into training, including Bob Waterfield, the husband of movie star Jane Russell. However, many of the trialists dropped out and in the end Dimitro had difficulty finding sufficient players for the trip. Two players arrived by plane the day before their first match.

American Rugby League All StarsThe Americans opened their tour in Canberra against a combined Monaro and Southern Division team, and won 34-25. In their next match, against a strong Sydney team at the Sydney Cricket Ground, a sellout 65,453 came to watch them play.

But the novelty wore off quickly. The Americans were beaten 52-25 and in their next match at the SCG, against NSW, just over 32,000 saw the Americans thrashed 62-41 in a farcical match. It was too much to expect a team of novices, most of whom had never seen a game of rugby league, to be competitive against one of the game's most powerful nations.

Dimitro had players who had either played American football or knew something of rugby union. Norm Latchem Robinson was appointed coach of the Americans and was given some assistants after the second match of the tour. As the tour wore on, the All Stars team included local players to bolster their ranks.

The American Rugby League team toured country centres in New South Wales, then Brisbane, through Queensland country and across to New Zealand. They won six games in total, with the most notable victories being wins over Newcastle (19-10), Ipswich (16-15) and South Auckland (22-19). The All Stars drew games against North Queensland (17-17) and Wide Bay (33-33). The "Yanks" also took on other strong sides including Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland without success.

Australian crowds were bemused by some of the American tactics. Not surprisingly, they used the long gridiron style throw from one side of the field to the other, and for the first two matches, the Americans wore long gridiron trousers. After that they changed to shorts. So poor were their attempts to play the ball that New South Wales hooker Ken Kearney had to kick the ball through to ensure they kept possession. If nothing else, the Americans wore colourful outfits - royal blue jerseys with red and white stripes on the sides.

One redeeming aspect was the decision of Al Kirkland, the best of the Americans, to stay in Australia. He worked at St Marys Munitions Factory in Sydney's west and joined the Parramatta club in 1956. He started the season as a winger but learned the game so well that he played some matches in the centres or five-eighth. He appeared in all 18 first grade matches in 1956 and scored four tries. It was his only season in Sydney football.

The All Stars manager, Mike Dimitro, did not give up on his hopes of establishing rugby league in the United States. He organised two exhibition matches that were held in California between Australia and New Zealand after the conclusion of the 1954 World Cup in France. Sadly, few spectators turned up to watch.

In the late 1960s Dimitro tried to persuade the international bodies to let him stage a Rugby League World Cup in North America. He was unsuccessful.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I have not heard anything from Loren in a while. I flew out for the East vs. West game a couple of years ago and he and hte Utah guys put on a pretty good game. I was sore as hell the next day. I really hope this is for real. I would love to look into getting the Axemen over there for at least one of their tournaments. As always the thing that will be the issue for all of this is the money needed for travel.
Those states are HUGE and the distances are HUGE but if they can get one season under their belt then it will work. I have offered any help I and the Axemen can provide. We just don't have money to give them yet.
I am not sure how involved (if at all) the AMNRL is but I would only assume that they would have to be somehow given the logo is all over the site and they make a lot of references to the Tomahawks.
This is pretty exciting stuff as there are a ton of Ex Leaguers on teh west coast.
I am trying to get a hold of Loren to see what he needs.

FMD. If this comes off, even in a small way, it will be huge. I can't see how they can have 12 new clubs in a fledgling league from such a huge area. How on earth is Vancouver going to play in the southern USA and vice versa? Even Phoenix playing in LA seems like a big effort. Like with many things in the states over the past 10 years the plans have been big and the outcome has been a fraction of what was planned. Nothing wrong with that if it means the game gets started and steadily grows. If they can get five or six of these clubs up and running next year that will be the start they need and hopefully with plenty of support from the outside the comp could grow to include 12 clubs from right across the western seaboard in a few years. I'll be keeping an eye on this that's for sure.

NEWS UPDATE

RUGBY LEAGUE cLINIC and GAME

DECEMBER 8-9, 2007 @ Los Angeles, Ca

LOOKING FOR PLAYERS, MANAGERS, and SPONSORS

This will be an oppurtunity to meet other players and start to build your club. The season starts in June 2008. Let's put rugby league on the map in the USA. Bring a friend to the camp.

www.WESTCOASTRUGBYLEAGUE.COM

In order to be eligible for future elite selections, you must attend the camp.

We are looking forward to meeting you at the rugby league weekend event in Los Angeles 2007.

Loren Broussard

West Coast Rugby League coordinator

480-343-8935-home

This is an email I received.l

Interesting stuff, hadn't really heard from them since I was over there studying and had a bit of hand in the failed attempt to start the west coast league in 2004

crimpo

Juniors
Hmmn - it's perhaps not impossible since the season comprises two long-trips for each side (its essentially 3 regionalised 4-team leagues rather than a league of 12). Extra trips for those making the play-offs of course.

Having said that it would be a stratospheric advance if these plans come to fruition. We always tend to be cynics - but hey good luck to all those involved

mark2

Juniors
Found a bit more background.

http://www.blackathlete.net/Rugby/index.shtml

Rugby Is On The Rise Out West!
Black Athletes Tackling New Frontiers
By Loren Broussard, Tempe Rugby Union player & USA Rugby League player

PHOENIX, Arizona-- RUGBY LEAGUE comes to the western states' The wild, wild west were the movement all begin, land of the Cowboys and Indians, Billy the Kid, the gold rush and the Grand Canyon all together better known as the new frontier. Now it's the new frontier for rugby league in the United States. Phoenix, Arizona will house the headquarters for the western conference.

Phoenix has a talented core of rugby union and ex-rugby league players in the Maricopa county area. The Phoenix based team is very fortunate to have many ex-professional rugby league players to call Phoenix home. These ex-internationals will support and help the development of rugby league not only in Phoenix but across the western coast. The Phoenix based team, managed by Loren Broussard will have a squad to begin training in May. Loren is also a past Tomahawk winger.

He has been offered trials in the past by the Queensland Cowboys, Newcastle Knights and Gold Coast Seagulls.

His debut was the 1995 World 7s in Sydney.
He has played in the Emerging Nations cup tournament
and man of the match in the 2000 USA v Canada match.

Recently, he had a short term contract with the Bracknell RUFC in London who plays in the national one division. Loren has worked to maintain exposure and awareness for rugby league in the west. Also out of the western conference is the Los Angeles Warriors (Los Angeles, CA.). They are managed by Freddie Lewis Jr. Freddie has had a trial with Parramatta Eels, played at Guildford Owls(Metropolitan Cup- Sydney) and negotiating to play in the new 2003 season with the London Skolars RL (UK) also played a pick up RL match on the east coast. He currently plays rugby union with El Paso Scorpions. The LA Warriors are trying to gain affiliation with the Auckland Warriors. The club is working to obtain sponsorship from local and international sources.

Another team developing from the west is the team from Salt Lake City, managed by Vea Ofa. Vea is a current Tomahawk wing. He has played union rugby for a number of years. No present nickname for the squad out of the Utah area, but numbers are growing for interested players. A canceled trial match in 2001 between the Arizona vs. Utah sides shows the quick interest from the local area players. Utah was considering bringing two teams to play the Arizona and LA combined side.

Vea has had some communications with the AMNRL headquarters as to keep them a breast of the build up on the western front. Other cities that are being considered for the upcoming season are San Francisco and San Diego. San Diego has the ex-USA international player, Mike Evergin. Mike has moved from Hawaii, based in the military, back to the mainland. Mike is keen to get rugby league developed
and started in his local area.

Finally, the AMNRL west is looking for some alumni USA Patriot RL players; Duke Ireko, Lau Alfuamango, David Bowe, BC and Mike Dwyer. Hey fellas, keep intouch. With the traveling distance of the western cities, it makes for a difficult start-up summer season. There is much rugby union being played in the west and travel costs are difficult for many players. The eastern teams have a travel advantage due to the close proximity of their cities.

The west is working on various scheduling features to accommodate this obstacle. With a website on the internet and word of mouth spreading in the western states and the AMNRL receiving a number of player applications from interested west coast athletes, the western conference is sure to be ready for a full schedule and an east vs. west match similar to the state of origin in upcoming years. But as the old saying goes, the best is in the west.

Check WWW.AMNRL.COM for the national team dates
Keeping checking here at BlackAthlete Sports Network for updates.

Questions or comments? Get in touch with us at:
azrugbyleague@yahoo.com

=====
"Do not be deceived: 'Bad company ruins good morals.'"
1 Corinthians15:33

"Stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong." -Abraham Lincoln

BatiFan

Juniors
I see on their website that there was a training camp held last weekend for the West Coast players. The brief report which suggets players attended from a number of cities sprinkled across the West Coast sounded promising, but the pics show somewhat of a different story, with what seems like only handful of participants. Hopefully all that did attend enjoyed the day and we can start to see some developments there in the West.

Latest posts