What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"American Rugby"?

In Rhode Island I have employed a strategy that combines the strategies of a few other clubs in the USARL. I along with my players walk around with a Stack of Free Tickets to games that have the Schedule on the Back. On the Front it says Rhode Island Rebellion Rugby LEAGUE Football Club. Come watch the Hottest Game in Rhode Island.
Think You Don't Understand RUGBY.... Guess Again This is RUGBY LEAGUE style of Play and its not confusing Like the Rugby you have seen before.

I know its alot on a business card but my efforts are to re-enforce/explain it to the person when handing it out and then again on the Card.

-- I have players that play both codes (mostly all of them) their friends and family that attend their games (making a crowd of 20, have told me they love watching RIR games, as they are more fun and easier to understand).

So combined with my stick of telling people this is different, I brand the USARL and the Rebellion as a different higher level of Rugby. ALSO most people who attend my game and haven't seen a rugby union game before think that my version of rugby is what RUGBY is. Frankly i don't care as the other RU clubs in the area have no interest in promoting their games, and thus will never confuse my fans.

mother rucker

Juniors
As I'm not sure that changing the name of something will promote it any betters than the local leagues doing a better job of putting it in front of the American public.

ie the Jacksonville Axemen and Rhode Island Rebellion teams have done a GREAT job doing. If other teams and leagues in the country followed their model a bit more I think the rest would come into play much easier.

But if a name change is needed then I think that Extreme rugby fits the American Mentality better.
:cool:

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I agree that the name rugby league is a bit of a problem here in North America, but as I've stated earlier, I'm not in the "American Rugby" camp. I've been thinking about this subject for quite a while and now I see someone has used what I thought would be a good idea. The USARL now has a youth arm, and have christened it American Youth Rugby League Association. It will still take a bit of explaining but I think they have isolated "rugby league". This is very similiar to BARLA. In North America there is the National Basketball Association, so why not the National Rugby League Association if and when the AMNRL/USARL split is resolved.

Gibbo

Juniors
Hi Guys,

In the book 'A Century of Rugby League" by Ian Heads and David Middleton there is a picture of a book titled;

"Californian Lateral Football League-Offical Rules"

The blurb says; Combining the special features of both American Football and Rugby League Football, featuring the more orderly American scrimmage with the continous action of rugby. Especially adaptable for conditioning inexperienced equipment for juniors.

So its one vote for 'Lateral Football' from me!

Last edited:
As I'm not sure that changing the name of something will promote it any betters than the local leagues doing a better job of putting it in front of the American public.

ie the Jacksonville Axemen and Rhode Island Rebellion teams have done a GREAT job doing. If other teams and leagues in the country followed their model a bit more I think the rest would come into play much easier.

But if a name change is needed then I think that Extreme rugby fits the American Mentality better.
:cool:

Every Time I hear Xtreme Rugby I just think XFL and that was a terrible failure. Today I think the word extreme is way overused and it will be viewed as a one off STUNT not a sport that has over a 100 years of tradition.

juro

Bench
Lateral football would seem to be a logical choice for American audiences if they wanted to distance themselves from union. In saying this, I've never set foot in America, so what would I know...

Lateral football would seem to be a logical choice for American audiences if they wanted to distance themselves from union. In saying this, I've never set foot in America, so what would I know...

you dont want to associate yourself with football either. Why? People like football the way it is.

Rugby League Provides something Faster, more exciting. Ever attend an american football game.
there's 2 minutes of action over 20 minutes between tv time-outs and stoppage of plays.

(im just raining on everyone's parade).
I for one dont have an answer. - Best bet is to get one hundred 8-15 years olds in a room and ask them what they think the sport should be named after watching 20 minutes of it. (american kids)

Talanexor

Juniors
I'm sure you could build an app for facebook that would do that. Even if there's nothing already out there to use, this would only cost a couple of hundred bucks on freelancer, elance or odesk.

Have a youtube-style highlights video. Then point out the major selling points - ie it's faster and more physical (no protection) - and then ask what we should call it! Send it out to everyone.

If you've got plenty of sweeping backline plays and big hits in there, teenage boys will send it around to all their friends.

Maybe offer free tickets to everyone votes so they get to see a game first hand.

league13

Juniors
Rugby league is the name and that's the way it should stay.The game is making good progress in the States so why change things.

LineBall

Juniors
Rugby league is the name and that's the way it should stay.The game is making good progress in the States so why change things.

It's making progres, but how much is it hindered by being associated with the word 'Rugby'.

On a side note - it is not only in America this is an issue, but I've heard many times in AFL states of Australia, and Southern England, that Rugby is often used as an interchangeable term for both Union and League. Perhaps redifining ourselves would allow us to attract many more new fans to our game, because, as others have already pointed out - casual fans who have watched rugby union for the first time are probably not going to watch rugby league if they think it's the same sport.

age.s

First Grade
Every Time I hear Xtreme Rugby I just think XFL and that was a terrible failure. Today I think the word extreme is way overused and it will be viewed as a one off STUNT not a sport that has over a 100 years of tradition.

In video gaming terminology the word "Action" is being prefixed to genres to denote a sub genre that is more streamlined and fast paced version of a traditional genre. For example Action RPGs have less emphasis on story and character development, and more about hacking the jeebus out of some bad guys.

Perhaps Action Rugby? Let's face it, the prevalence of actual action in League is why most of us enjoy watching people score tries rather than kick penalty goals.

Poul

Juniors
Hi Guys,

In the book 'A Century of Rugby League" by Ian Heads and David Middleton there is a picture of a book titled;

"Californian Lateral Football League-Offical Rules"

The blurb says; Combining the special features of both American Football and Rugby League Football, featuring the more orderly American scrimmage with the continous action of rugby. Especially adaptable for conditioning inexperienced equipment for juniors.

So its one vote for 'Lateral Football' from me!

I also have the book, " A Centenary of Rugby League".
The picture of the cover handbook is on page 254, and states, "Official Lateral Football Rules as adopted by the California Lateral Football League . 1949-50
I wonder what ever happened to the California Lateral Football League.

I think "lateral football" provides a reasonable description of Rugby League, but it's not "football" as an American would consider it to be. Rugby League, I believe, would still be identifiable as "rugby" to an American, so I don't think we can fool them into thinking it is "football". So, the name of the game still has to have "rugby" in it. If we can't get the game referred to as Rugby League in the USA, then I still feel that the next best option would be .... American Rugby.

WAPAU

Juniors
It's making progres, but how much is it hindered by being associated with the word 'Rugby'.

On a side note - it is not only in America this is an issue, but I've heard many times in AFL states of Australia, and Southern England, that Rugby is often used as an interchangeable term for both Union and League. Perhaps redifining ourselves would allow us to attract many more new fans to our game, because, as others have already pointed out - casual fans who have watched rugby union for the first time are probably not going to watch rugby league if they think it's the same sport.

It's not being hindered as much as you seem to think considering that most of the guys that play league in the states also play union. I'm not trying to troll this is just a fact of life.

Gibbo

Juniors
I also have the book, " A Centenary of Rugby League".
The picture of the cover handbook is on page 254, and states, "Official Lateral Football Rules as adopted by the California Lateral Football League . 1949-50
I wonder what ever happened to the California Lateral Football League.

I think "lateral football" provides a reasonable description of Rugby League, but it's not "football" as an American would consider it to be. Rugby League, I believe, would still be identifiable as "rugby" to an American, so I don't think we can fool them into thinking it is "football". So, the name of the game still has to have "rugby" in it. If we can't get the game referred to as Rugby League in the USA, then I still feel that the next best option would be .... American Rugby.

That's the one.

An alternative name could be; American Six down lateral no huddle ironman rugby?

Catchy, no?

Rampart66

Juniors
Okay. As an American who didn't know the difference between Union and League a few years ago, let me add my 2¢.

"Winners write history"

The code that can finally go mainstream will win the name battle. There's no need for different names; Rugby League will do just fine. And, if Rugby League ever becomes more of a professional sport (where all players, coaches and office staff are paid), then you could call it "Rugby"...just Rugby.

The game is solid and has the potential to become a mainstream sport. The advantages that Rugby (in this case, Rugby League) has in the US are the following:

1. The sport has a long and storied history dating back to the 19th century. This isn't some gimmick sport dreamed up recently (I'm looking at you, arena football).

2. There is an international governing body and an international world cup that the US could realistically compete for.

3. It's a made for TV sport. It has action, toughness and plenty of plays that can run on a highlight reel on SportsCenter.

The biggest obstacle preventing the sport from reaching the next level is cash. I've seen investors dump money in to soccer, arena football, women's basketball and lacrosse in hopes of being the summer sport that can compete with baseball.

Rugby League is, by far, one of the most exciting sports and with some heavy investing, could rival the leagues in Australia and England.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Okay. As an American who didn't know the difference between Union and League a few years ago, let me add my 2¢.

"Winners write history"

The code that can finally go mainstream will win the name battle. There's no need for different names; Rugby League will do just fine. And, if Rugby League ever becomes more of a professional sport (where all players, coaches and office staff are paid), then you could call it "Rugby"...just Rugby.

The game is solid and has the potential to become a mainstream sport. The advantages that Rugby (in this case, Rugby League) has in the US are the following:

1. The sport has a long and storied history dating back to the 19th century. This isn't some gimmick sport dreamed up recently (I'm looking at you, arena football).

2. There is an international governing body and an international world cup that the US could realistically compete for.

3. It's a made for TV sport. It has action, toughness and plenty of plays that can run on a highlight reel on SportsCenter.

The biggest obstacle preventing the sport from reaching the next level is cash. I've seen investors dump money in to soccer, arena football, women's basketball and lacrosse in hopes of being the summer sport that can compete with baseball.

Rugby League is, by far, one of the most exciting sports and with some heavy investing, could rival the leagues in Australia and England.
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. In my opinion, rugby league is the perfect sport. I am a born-and-bred Canadian and have been exposed to the Big Four (baseball, football, hockey and basketball) pro sports in North America, along with all the others - soccer, Aussie Rules, you name it. I have sat on executive boards for sports, I have coached, I have played, I have officiated and, for a time, I was even paid to write about all of them. Make no mistake - rugby league, with an injection of money, has the potential to overtake most if not all the major sports. A name change is not needed - the game sells itself.

Latest posts