What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL - Week #5

Tomahawk

Staff member
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Week 5 - 6/25/05[/size][/font]

• [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Northern Raiders @ Connecticut Wildcats
    TBD at Boston
    [/size][/font]
  • [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Wildcats/Raiders 2nds @ Boston
    TBD at Boston
    [/size][/font]
  • [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Washington Slayers @ New Jersey Sharks
    1:00 pm at East Falls Township Park
    [/size][/font]
  • [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]New York Knights @ Glen Mills Bulls
    1:30 pm at Jack Pearson Stadium
    [/size][/font]
  • [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Delaware Valley Mantarays @ Philadelphia Fight
    TBD at Torresdale Boys Club[/size][/font]

roopy

Referee
The Boston result will be the most interesting.
From what I can see from their website, Boston are the best Union side in America over the last few years.
I hope Boston pull off a big win and really get the taste for League.
Having this very strong organisation involved in League will be a huge boost for the code.

roopy

Referee
It is also interesting that the Raiders and Wildcats will play at Boston. With both those sides obviously taking a big step up since last season, and being the top two teams in the improved comp this year - this game has the potential to be the highest quality club game to be played in America to this date. It should be a great way to showcase the game in front of what could be a good crowd of Union supporters and players.

Dakink

Bench
Just exactly how strong is union in the US Tomahawk???

Without any League Rose coloured glasses how does League stand up copmpared to union? Is union more developed and realistically how far off being succesful (if not already) is League in the USA?

slow frontrower

Juniors
Tomahawk, why would you pick Raiders over the Wildcats, they beat the bulls in a game that was never close, and won by 24, and 3 weeks ago beat the raiders by 22, in a game that was also never close? Also games will take place at Andrew's field in Norwalk, not in Boston.

yankeeboy

Juniors
RL currently has 8 club teams, all in the North East. Two of these clubs put together a joint second team, and the others all enter only one team. I would suppose that there are approx. 200 league players in the US currently. Junior development has only just begun with middle school aged players this year (the "After School All Stars.")

RU is nation wide. The Rugby Super League is the premier competition, with 16 teams located all across the country. There It is not really known except by the players and those close to them, but there are a lot more clubs and players then RL has. Here are the numbers as provided by the IRB:
Pre-teen male players496Pre-teen female players100Teen male players11056Teen female players4408Senior male players22490Senior female players7706Total male players34042Total female players12214Number of registered players46256Number of referees 465
There are 11 national championship tournaments held: Super League, Men's Divisions I-III, Women's Club, Men's and Women's Collegiate Divisions I-II, Men's Club 7s, and Under 19.

I'm not sure of the exact number of clubs that Union has, but it is far more than League has ATM.

phat cat

Juniors
Rugby union is pretty massive in the US... i dont know the exact number of registered players but there are a few hundred highschool programs. Just about every university has a rugby union club and every major city has at least one but up to four clubs ranging from social to extremely competitive(superleague/ D1) as well as a hand full of clubs scattered in more remote areas. most players pick the game up at university.

Tomahawk

Staff member
slow frontrower said:
Tomahawk, why would you pick Raiders over the Wildcats, they beat the bulls in a game that was never close, and won by 24, and 3 weeks ago beat the raiders by 22, in a game that was also never close? Also games will take place at Andrew's field in Norwalk, not in Boston.

I just think the Raiders will get the Cats one time this season, and this is the game I think they will get them. Maybe I am wrong, Maybe I am right. We will see Saturday. Good luck to all teams.

lloydy

Juniors
Yankeeboy,

awesome post about the vast difference in numbers between the two codes. However it does show that there is a large number of potential converts, but it's going to take time.

Roopy,

The Cats/Raiders is not in Boston and therefore there is no reserve grade game. Not sure why yet but it's a shame to say the least. I will pass on any info as I get it.

roopy

Referee
Thank God the Bulls are back - otherwise I would say that the Cats can't be beat on the strength of their score against the Raiders - or was it a case of the Knights not showing up on the night?

lloydy

Juniors
The Bulls were never gone. They don't travel well, but now have their next few games at home or at the shore. The Bulls will be a force in the playoffs. I think the Cats are still the best team in the comp, but until the playoffs the results don't mean much.

Loser

Juniors
I wouldnt read too much into that result, Philly would have put up a big score against the Knights that day. The Knights are not a healthy bunch right now.
I dont like the Bulls chances

Tomahawk

Staff member
Lloydy wrote;

The Bulls were never gone. They don't travel well, but now have their next few games at home or at the shore. The Bulls will be a force in the playoffs. I think the Cats are still the best team in the comp, but until the playoffs the results don't mean much.

This is the main reason why you are so respected by people throughout the AMNRL. You are 110% in that you play for the best team in the AMNRL the Wildcats. Also, it shows by how you write that even know the Cats easily handled the Bulls you still respect them as defending champions. Finally, things don’t mean much until playoff time.

Looser wrote;

I wouldn’t read too much into that result, Philly would have put up a big score against the Knights that day. The Knights are not a healthy bunch right now.
I don’t like the Bulls chances.

I have no clue what you mean by you saying you would not read too much into the Bulls big win on Saturday. I understand that Hayden James, and Matt Astill, two of you better players, did not play but injuries are part of the game. When the Bulls played the Knights in NY, they were injured, and only lost by 4 points. I just think you need to worry about the next few matches, especially since Rocco might be gone for the season.

As for the rest of the 2005 season I think things will start to get really good. It looks like the Wildcats are going to get the #1 seed winning the Lincoln Conference, and the Sharks getting the #2 seed by winning the Franklin Conference. Both teams getting the first week bye, and a home game the 2nd playoff game. The points after week 5 are as followed.

Raiders – 16 points
Bulls – 13 points
Fight – 11 points
Knights – 10 points

The Raiders and the Bulls play each other July 9th at Jack Pearson stadium. The Wildcats play the Knights in New York. The Knights play the Fight July 16th at the War of the Shore. Then the finally the last week of the season will see the following matches; The Wildcats vs. Bulls at Jack Pearson stadium, the Knights vs. the Knights at Andrews field, and the Sharks vs. Fight at Torresdale Boys Club. So the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th seeds could go to any team.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Loser;

1st - Before this gets into a pissing match I could care less if you respect me or not. I have more people in this forum that respect me.

2nd - Your screen name is Loser, come on.

3rd - I do more to help the AMNRL then most people in the league.

4th - I have provided information to people players that have came over and now play for other teams. Just ask Lloydy

5th - As much as I want the Bulls to win another championship, I want the AMNRL to expand each year. Dave Nui, Bobo, and others have done some amazing.

6th - I have made friends with several people, and try to provide information about the AMNRL to the international Rugby League community.

So I could care less Loser and you will probally find others that feel the same way.

Latest posts