What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

an american nrl club

Whatwhere

Juniors
Hawaii (with a population of 1.432 million) should be a part of any pacific strategy when it comes to Rugby League.

Only 10% of that population are native Hawaiian Islander. Which is amazing to discover really. The majority of the population is actually of Japanese descent or mixed race in which Japanese is still a prominent feature.

Knownothing

Juniors
I'd like to hear some reasoning behind this opinion.

An NRL club is a long stretch, but there is definitely potential to develop the game there. Don't think it's any coincidence why NRL clubs have been looking to taking trials there and Grand Pacific Events run the Ohana Cup our of Aloha Stadiun.

No doubt Hawaii is a very nice place to visit. Very beautiful, quite relaxing, equable climate much of the year. Maybe that is a big reason for NRL clubs to play trials there. I doubt that NRL clubs who go there do so for the benefit of anybody but themselves. Maybe I'm wrong. But if they really want to spread the gospel, it would seem to make more sense to play trials in places like Tonga.

Not as nice a trip, though.

Evil Homer

Staff member
No doubt Hawaii is a very nice place to visit. Very beautiful, quite relaxing, equable climate much of the year. Maybe that is a big reason for NRL clubs to play trials there. I doubt that NRL clubs who go there do so for the benefit of anybody but themselves. Maybe I'm wrong. But if they really want to spread the gospel, it would seem to make more sense to play trials in places like Tonga.

Not as nice a trip, though.
Tonga has like 100,000 people living there. There should be trials there but they should also be targeting Hawaii which is probably a bigger economy and population center than the entire rest of the Pacific combined (excluding NZ, Fiji and PNG).

Knownothing

Juniors
Tonga has like 100,000 people living there. There should be trials there but they should also be targeting Hawaii which is probably a bigger economy and population center than the entire rest of the Pacific combined (excluding NZ, Fiji and PNG).

Tonga produces rugby league players. Quite a lot of them. The NRL owes them something, and in return the NRL will gain something.

Talking about the whole of the Pacific is a bit like talking about the whole of Asia. Both very big, diverse, places. If the NRL wants to waste its time and other scarce resources dabbling in Hawaii, good luck to them. But I would have thought that it would make more sense to stay a little bit closer to home, in places where rugby league actually exists, but needs a bit of exrra support and encouragement.

Anyway, you pays your money and you makes your choices, I suppose.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Talking about the whole of the Pacific is a bit like talking about the whole of Asia. .
Lol what, no it isn't. Asia has 4.4 billion people and spans half the globe, the Pacific has about 36 million people and that includes Australia and NZ. Appreciate the point you're making about Tonga etc but it's not like the NRL is short of resources. The biggest target for development should be Fiji but it seems like there is some resistance to that in Australia for some reason.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah.. I'm inclined to agree with Knownothing. Hawaii is twice as far away as anything else in the Pacfic, further than SE Asia as well, and has not very much RL to speak of.

By all means invest and grow the game in Hawaii but i don't think taking an NRL game there is some magical windfall obvious opportunity. Pretty much equal with dozens of possible locations where we could grow the game.

I said elsewhere today that I don't see the point in taking NRL games to places where NRL has no profile but I supose it's worth a shot. Maybe a crowd will show up and junior RL will bloom from that, who knows. But I doubt it. Especially with the likely zero follow through on development.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also the NRL just isn't that interested in foreign (foreign = outside of NSW and QLD) development investment. The amount of money it spends on a single club ($9mil or so?) would be insane for the RLIF, or any individual country's RL development. Even NZ...

Evil Homer

Staff member
Also the NRL just isn't that interested in foreign (foreign = outside of NSW and QLD) development investment. The amount of money it spends on a single club ($9mil or so?) would be insane for the RLIF, or any individual country's RL development. Even NZ...
That's the biggest problem really. Still crazy to me that it's looking like Toronto Wolfpack will be moving into China before the NRL.

PaulyTom

Juniors
San Francisco Clippers

Yachting theme name. Funded by one of the huge I.t firms in the Silicon valley

adamkungl

Immortal
San Francisco Clippers

Yachting theme name. Funded by one of the huge I.t firms in the Silicon valley

But why would an IT firm want to spend a few mil a year on a team in an obscure sport?

I'm all for expansion, but come on...

alien

Referee
Maybe after 8 years of being President, Donald Trump will start the new NRL franchise, American Anacondas! :D

2z6a0xl.jpg

alien

Referee
It's 2017 and we still don't have a Perth team or an Adelaide team! The NRL is frozen by fear of failure!

PaulyTom

Juniors
Perth team will be a 25 year project that needs to happen.

I'm not too fussed on Adelaide.

Bring on the San Fran clippers instead

jim_57

Staff member
In their defense though 3 years ago the Toronto idea would have been laughed out of town by even some of the most positive thinking fans.. but I think you can never expect situations like that, but if they do come up RL would be mad not to jump on the oppurtunity..

A few more Eric Perez-s in France, Russia, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, China, USA, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa etc and we'llbe set ;)

San Francisco clippers? American anacondas? Whateveryou guy's are on it's either too much, or not enough !

Latest posts