What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

an american nrl club

jim_57

Staff member
If the NRL includes Hawaii in a "Pacific Strategy" they would deserve all the ridicule they would get.

They should stick to their knitting. Lots of opportunities in the Pacific nations which already produce loads of players. And that does not include Hawaii.

Exactly who would ridicule the NRL for working to develop the sport on an Island smack bang in the middle of the Pacific ocean as part of their 'Pacific Strategy'?

We're not talking Asia and billions of people here, we're talking a bunch of low populated Islands. The NRL should be able to incorporate all Pacific Islands in any strategy.

jim_57

Staff member
Really though there are any number of nations within the same flight distance as Hawaii that the NRL could or should do some basic investment in.
So, you're right, but I don't get what makes Hawaii particularly special.

Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu.

The NRL doesn't even give reasonable funding to New Zealand!

Nothing really, but the NRL doesn't have an Asian strategy and this isn't a thread about an Asian NRL team so probably why Hawaii is being discussed.

For the record NRL and it's clubs should definitely be looking at a 'strategy' for Asia as well.

Pommy

Coach
If the NRL includes Hawaii in a "Pacific Strategy" they would deserve all the ridicule they would get.

They should stick to their knitting. Lots of opportunities in the Pacific nations which already produce loads of players. And that does not include Hawaii.

The difference is that Hawaii isn't a third world country and is part of the largest economy in the world. Im not saying a team in Hawaii should be on the cards but it would be more likely to add monetary value to the NRL than say a Fijian team would.

Knownothing

Juniors
The difference is that Hawaii isn't a third world country and is part of the largest economy in the world. Im not saying a team in Hawaii should be on the cards but it would be more likely to add monetary value to the NRL than say a Fijian team would.

Fiji, by any measure, is worth far more in all respects to the NRL than either Hawaii or the rest of the US of
A. Then add in Tonga, Samoa, and even the Cooks. Get that right first.

Pommy

Coach
Fiji, by any measure, is worth far more in all respects to the NRL than either Hawaii or the rest of the US of
A. Then add in Tonga, Samoa, and even the Cooks. Get that right first.

The Cook Islands? There's about 20,000 people and it's essentially part of New Zealand anyway.
Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are hardly first world countries that big sponsors want exposure in. Don't get me wrong those nations are great for producing players but do you honestly think they would add more money than a successful hawaiin team would?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The Cook Islands? There's about 20,000 people and it's essentially part of New Zealand anyway.
Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are hardly first world countries that big sponsors want exposure in. Don't get me wrong those nations are great for producing players but do you honestly think they would add more money than a successful hawaiin team would?

Union fans want RL to stay in its box.

Pommy

Coach
Yep, and I remember Super Rugby were considering adding an American team. They probably will eventually. I'd rather Rugby League beat them to it.

There's more chance of super league or the RFL doing it than the NRL.

Golden point

Juniors
Really though there are any number of nations within the same flight distance as Hawaii that the NRL could or should do some basic investment in.
So, you're right, but I don't get what makes Hawaii particularly special.

Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu.

The NRL doesn't even give reasonable funding to New Zealand!
I actually thought of doing a list of better opportunities but I would take up too much space.

Pommy

Coach
Japan also has well over 100,000 players and three tiers of professional domestic Rugby. Bit of a difference.

But it all had to start somewhere. I'm not saying it would happen over night. It was just an example of an inferior version of league being successful in an Asian country.

I believe America has more potential when it comes to Rugby League.

Why? America has a very crowded sports market. After visiting many Asian countries there doesn't seem to be much other than Football.
In America league has heaps of competition American football, football, men's netball, hockey, baseball, rugby, Motorsport probably a load more I can't think of.

jim_57

Staff member
But it all had to start somewhere. I'm not saying it would happen over night. It was just an example of an inferior version of league being successful in an Asian country.

Why? America has a very crowded sports market. After visiting many Asian countries there doesn't seem to be much other than Football.
In America league has heaps of competition American football, football, men's netball, hockey, baseball, rugby, Motorsport probably a load more I can't think of.

That last point is interesting. I think people tend to overlook Asia as a genuine expansion oppurtunity because stereotypically they aren't "big" people, hence not so much suited to modern day RL. On the flip side though there is definitely plenty of potential support and investment wise and I'm sure given resources and time quality players could be developed.

It is definitely worth pushing the NRL in to Asia, starting with trial games and building from there. Underneath that obviously aim to develop grassroots.

OT, but it will be interesting to see if in years to come any Asian countries start seeing the beifits Italy, Lebanon etc are seeing now. A reasonably strong national team based mostly around Immigration trends to Australia in the modern era.