What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Idea for a fair Salary Cap

Iafeta

Referee
black cat said:
i know its been said before,but i lean towards scrapping the cap and using a points system for players.pay players want you want but you are only allowed to field a team worth so many points.

i'd like to know what people classify as juniors.if you look at the roosters v dogs 04 gf teams,the dogs had about 4 locals jnrs and the roosters 2,but those clubs had a lot of players who had been at the respective clubs since they were about 15,16,17.
there is only a few teams that have true local jnrs but lots of clubs get players from the bush,nz etc when they are young.

Who'd be the independent group who rates players? Or would a club have a set amount of points to allocate?

if you're allowed to pay players what you want, you risk poor financial management leading to insolvency and you risk players with top points not filling into the lower calibre teams - it'd be practically impossible to create some form of equality which is the reason behind the salary cap.

Iafeta

Referee
black cat said:
i'd think players would get points equal to the rep level they played and be allocated by the governing body.
it could be a certain number of games for aus not one off appearences.maybe regular 1st graders and rookies would obviously attract lower points.
it was only a suggestion i heard which i thought had merit,that way a team couldnt have 7 or 8 internationals but i also believe a draft should be implimented.as for your concerns about the legal side of things,whats to stop the salary cap being challenged now.

In terms of reps players and points, whats then to stop a rep coach not picking players from his own club to keep their points level low?

black cat

Juniors
i know there is alot of variables and i suppose you could never keep everybody happy.but to my other question what constitutes a junior.is it somebody bought to a club before a certain age or is it a local.

roosters06

Juniors
Unfortuanately, we are realistically stuck with what we have.

No system will equally favour each team. Teams with lower catchment areas will always suffer, and have to stretch their nets further, ala the Roosters.

Teams with large catchment areas will always cry foul when they can't hang on to all of their juniors - its the way things are.

petetheileet

First Grade
not the best idea but i thought id throw it out there...

all players who have played more than 100 games for a club or rep footy...excluding city/counrty fall into a seperate catagory

All players from this catagory when they go on the open market, if bought from another club, that club must pay the players previous club, or the nrl 20% of the players yearly wage. eg. $400 000 in effect means the club buying the player would have to pay $480 000 for the designated player...

That 80 grand would still come under the buying teams salary cap for their first contracted year.

I know its a way out there approach however it would make it easier for clubs to retain their better players they have helped produce because realistically an opposing club would in some cases have to pay another 100 grand to 'steal' a player

of course their would be cases where it woldn't stop the trades from happening but im sure it would make them less frequent

it doesn't reward the players as much as other schemes but i dont think that is necessary, the top teir players in todays game get paid enough allready

I kno its a pretty rediculous idea but it just came to me in a moment of spontanaety so i thought id see what others think...

antbytes

Juniors
A points system - fantastic.
The clubs pay their $4 mill each to the NRL and get a refund pro-rated depending on their points ? The more points, the more money.
Hell, you could even work that in with the current system. If you develop your own juniors, the NRL gives you some more cash which is over and above your cap, thereby allowing the developer clubs to pay their players more... Brilliant !

antbytes

Juniors
BrisVegas said:
And when would the points be realocated?

1 point for each contracted year a player has played with the club as a senior plus 1 point if they came from their junior program.

Latest posts