What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An idea for the code's future...

Loudstrat

Coach
At the risk of sounding like mark123......

OK. 3 tier plan. The objective:

• To enhance Rugby League as the principal professional sport throughout the Australia Pacific region.
  • To assist in the reinforcement and growth of the game in the UK and France
  • To provide a solid base for the growth of the game globally, with the view to develop self sufficient, stand alone competitions that provide competetive Test sides in Russia, Croatia, Ireland, Ukraine, Morocco, Canada and the USA.
The three tiers are:

• Restructuring the international schedule
  • Rule simplification
  • Marketing and promotion
1. Restructuring the international schedule

• Establish a strong governing body to control the code globally, along the lines of FIFA - with representatives of every league playing nation
  • Co-Ordinate the NRL and ESL comps so they
    • Start no earlier then the second weekend in March
    • finish on the same weekend - between the third week in September to the first weekend in October
  • Re introduce the Pacific Cup
  • Establish an international season for October/November. This includes the Tri Nations, and an international schedule involving teams below the Tri Nations level
  • Establish an annual provincial based global competition in February
    • Teams include test sides from each country except GB, Aus and NZ
    • Teams from GB, Aus and NZ include Lancashire, Yorkshire, Wales, South England, NZ Maori, NZ all whites, NSW, QLD, Southern Australia (Vic, ACT, SA, WA, Tas) ATSI
    • Players selected for the ATSI side overrides selection for NSW and QLD
    • Southern Australia teams selected on residency basis
    • Grandparent rule in place for all sides
    • Games to be spread globally. Games in Aust to be played outside Sydney and Brisbane.
    • Final to be played either in Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, London, Manchester, Leeds, Paris, Moscow or New York/Philadelphia.
    • All games telecast either on pay TV of FTA into each participating nation.
  • Challenge Cup to be played in this period.
  • Tooheys Challenge to be played in rural towns in this period.
  • World Cup every four years, with pool matches played in developing nations.
  • Domestic rep seasons (eg State of Origin) to be played mid year.
2. Rule simplification

• A global think tank established to overhaul the rules. The aim is to make the game easier to referee, promote the skill level of the game, and make it simpler and more attractive for new audiences.
  • Implement a replacement for the scrum
  • Rule and interchange modification to enhance the effect of smaller, more mobile players, and those with superior ball skills.
  • Find ways to enhance the incidents of clear try scoring - thus nullifying the need for the video ref.
3. Marketing and Promotion

• Establish a "Harlem Globetrotters" style team - possibly of ageing ESL/NRL players.
    • The team will promote the ball skills and athleticism of the game
    • The team will play matches versus local opponents in developing nations
    • The team will be marketed for it's entertainment value and glamour appeal
    • The team will offer significant financial rewards for it's players, based on drawing power. This will influence players away from Union, and encourage players to be League men for life.
  • Create a global weekly TV program, covering league highlights from competition all over the globe. The show will be based along the WWE highlights shows, and maybe a TV version of the UK's Rugby League World mag. Possibly a 2 hour version along the lines of Wide World Of Sports
  • Assign struggling Sydney based clubs with a targetted expansion city
    • Such clubs will play 4-8 home games in this location, with the option of developing that location as a future base.
    • Club and NRL combine to fund high level promotion
    • NRL to negotiate assistance through relevent governments
    • Suggested locations: Perth, Adelaide, Sunshine Coast, Wellington/Christchurch
    • ARL to fund large scale junior development program in each area, with the view to a local side in the NYC
  • Souths to Central Coast.
  • Global marketing campaign for rep season. High profile, using celebrity fans. Target market 15-30yo.
  • Global introduction of touch football (Austag) for juniors
    • Introduces kids of both sexes to the sport in a non threatening environment
    • Maintains and enhances skill levels of players
    • Played during the off season - a summer comp in southern hemisphere, indoor in northern hemisphere
That's about it. Hack away.

Last edited:

Chapsta

Juniors
At the risk of sounding like mark123......

A rant and half here, but it's easier to comprehend than marky.

1. Restructuring the international schedule

• Establish an annual provincial based global competition in February
    • Teams include test sides from each country except GB, Aus and NZ
    • Teams from GB, Aus and NZ include Lancashire, Yorkshire, Wales, South England, NZ Maori, NZ all whites, NSW, QLD, Southern Australia (Vic, ACT, SA, WA, Tas) ATSI
    • Players selected for the ATSI side overrides selection for NSW and QLD
    • Southern Australia teams selected on residency basis
    • Grandparent rule in place for all sides
    • Games to be spread globally. Games in Aust to be played outside Sydney and Brisbane.
    • Final to be played either in Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, London, Manchester, Leeds, Paris, Moscow or New York/Philadelphia.
    • All games telecast either on pay TV of FTA into each participating nation.
  • Challenge Cup to be played in this period.
  • Tooheys Challenge to be played in rural towns in this period.
  • World Cup every four years, with pool matches played in developing nations.
  • Domestic rep seasons (eg State of Origin) to be played mid year
The "provincial" comp is a really good idea, i believe atleast four of those teams would be very competative.

The part i have highlighted blue would be over-kill Imo. If the provincial idea ever went through, Origin & all the rest might need to go.

Snoop

Coach
If rep players are already complaining about their busy schedule I can only see this getting worse.

Loudstrat

Coach
Though of that. I'd guess that the top liners (Lockyer, SBW etc) would save themselves for the NRL/Origin/International period. Plenty of talent to cover the other tournaments. Even if the second best NSW and QLD players played in the Feb tournaments, we'd still see players like Bowen, Farah, Campbell, Orford, Anasta going around. And going by last years PM XIII thriller v PNG, or the Wales v Australia semi in 2000, it would be a lot closer than the current world cup

The NRL and ESL have the glut of pro players ATM, but if the top liners used this period to tend to injuries, and the grandparent rule used, the games would still showcase talent, and be a lot closer. IN France, PNG etc, getting close to the big guns would be a great boost to their games.

The big thing is that the NRL and ESL hold the international game back. This happens also in soccer, with PL clubs holding back players from international schedules. League must prevent this, and holding internationals outside the period when the ESL and NRL play would alleviate this.

I can't see Origin going anywhere.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
I would like to see every club adopt a developing nation and salary cap concessions come from that.

I wrote an article about this a while back..i'll gladly pull it up.

Basically...it would be say Penrith aligning with Samoa. It would encourage clubs to invest in that nation and develop the game in the hope of attracting talent from those nations. Any players that play First Grade that are from Samoa...are therefore then salary cap exempt but must play for Samoa. If they transfer allegences they are automatically not exempt from the cap.

Eels Dude

Coach
Well done for being some well thought out and productive ideas Loudstrat.

I think priority should be given to fixing the game locally being international league is even considered though. Until the NRL gets more money into the game and is able to be a fully national sport I don't think any ammendments should be made to international rugby league. It's way to small a game globally to to fund a governing body like FIFA. If we can start with the NRL working with clubs to play off season showcase matches in developing league nations that would be a positive.

Less emphasis on international league is needed IMO. The NRL is the premier rugby league competition in the world and that shouldn't be sacrificed for an attempt at global spreading of the game, rule changes included etc.

Loudstrat

Coach
No, the NRL and ESL need to be preserved.

From the Feb comp - I'd expect it to pay it's own way. By closer games, and becoming an annual event, I think it would generate lots of interest in France, the Pacific and maybe other developing nations. There ould be some interest in Aus, NZ and UK, enough to warrant TV coverage. I'd reckon games between teams from the 3 big nations may even jag 25000 + crowds. Imagine QLD v Lancashire at Knowsley Road or Townsville?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

BTW, Big Mick -got a link?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Very well put together loudstrat... have you considered forwarding it professionally to the NRL? It might be thrown straight in the trash knowing them, but it's worth a shot?

mark123

Juniors
A rant and half here, but it's easier to comprehend than marky.

The "provincial" comp is a really good idea, i believe atleast four of those teams would be very competative.

The part i have highlighted blue would be over-kill Imo. If the provincial idea ever went through, Origin & all the rest might need to go.

much of it is overkill and financial impossible

but i admire your effort. some is genuinely good. but once again, finding the means to fund it is not possible just now.

you would propose to change the ENTIRE DIRECTION of league, and thats not going to happen.

Loudstrat

Coach
I know. Didn't mention stadiums. :roll:

you would propose to change the ENTIRE DIRECTION of league, and thats not going to happen.

I think there is less disruption to League than your proposals.

salivor

First Grade
Big Mick said:
I would like to see every club adopt a developing nation and salary cap concessions come from that.

I wrote an article about this a while back..i'll gladly pull it up.

Basically...it would be say Penrith aligning with Samoa. It would encourage clubs to invest in that nation and develop the game in the hope of attracting talent from those nations. Any players that play First Grade that are from Samoa...are therefore then salary cap exempt but must play for Samoa. If they transfer allegences they are automatically not exempt from the cap.

I don't know if that'd work and would create an imbalance in the cap. Clubs that adopt the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG are more likely to find a player of first grade standard than a club that gets the likes of Russia were there is next to no chance of ever developing a first grade player and therefore no incentive to invest in the development of Rugby League in that country.

Absolutely LOVE the Globetrotter idea.

I can just imagine Jason Smith playing in this team, travelling the Pacific and Europe, having a ball and entertaining the locals as he goes.

Would be great for the game. I honestly applaud you for this idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some great ideas in there. If only the powers that be in RL around the world had as much vision!

mark123

Juniors
Very well put together loudstrat... have you considered forwarding it professionally to the NRL? It might be thrown straight in the trash knowing them, but it's worth a shot?

i think you should put it forward. You have shown a passion and a desire here. And many of your ideas and how they fit in are worth a look at by the people who run the game.

mark123

Juniors
I know. Didn't mention stadiums. :roll:

I think there is less disruption to League than your proposals.

thats a matter of implementation.

I guess I focussed mainly on the local scene.

I like your proposals. Ok, I may not like EVERY SINGLE one, but I like them in general, a lot. I think that the nrl and rugby league in general would have to do a major rethink on whats going on, but this isn't a bad thing!!

I think the nrl DOES need a major rethink on where its going and how its getting there. And I don't want them to reach for the bottom rungs of the ladder, I want them to go all the way.

About my proposals, they center largely on how to turn a situation around - a single situation, related mainly to sydney, and where the relevance for other issues comes in, I go into it. And you have given a broader approach, of which I like a lot of what you said.

thanks for sharing.

Loudstrat

Coach
Absolutely LOVE the Globetrotter idea.

I can just imagine Jason Smith playing in this team, travelling the Pacific and Europe, having a ball and entertaining the locals as he goes.

Would be great for the game. I honestly applaud you for this idea.

Cheers, HJ. Blokes like Peachey, Lauititi, Blacklock etc, maybe Cliffy Lyons and his smokes.

You wouldn't have to pay them sh*tloads, either.

In retirement, their average wage would be the average wage of an average person. So, 100k a year for 20-ish blokes plus travel expenses would not be that expensive, considering what you would gain from it.

Latest posts