What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Analysis of 2005 signings

Hurriflatch

Referee
Analysis of 2005 recruitment

Gains:
Timana Tahu (Knights 3 yrs +4th option)
+ High try scoring strike rate (85%)
+ Established Rep player
+ Genuine strikpower to the backline
+ Will attract opposition defenders leaving gaps elsewhere

- Has been injury prone
- Will be coming back from off season surgury
- Will not have Matt Gidley inside him for the 1st time in his career

Glenn Morrison (Cowboys 2 yrs +3rd Option)
+ Terrific workhorse will take pressure off Hindmarsh
+ Proven leader
+ Expierence Will help in the developement with the likes of Afamasaga & Mateo

- Just coming back from a serious neck injury
- Has struggled with other injuries during his career

Mark Riddell (Dragons 3 yrs)
+ Strikepower from dummyhalf
+ Very good goalkicker
+ Cult Hero

- Can't play 80 mins
- Could lead to Morris' departure

Chad Robinson (Roosters 2 yrs)
+ Still young but has played in 2 grand finals winning 1
+ Developed at the Roosters under Stuart & Cartwright
+ Old Boy returning home

- Although has played a lot isn't a regular starter

Paul Stringer (Rabbitohs 2 yrs)
+ Expierenced player
+ Will push Vella for his spot could lead to Vella performing well consistantly

- Has had a lot of injuries
- Could lead to a younger star leaving

PJ Marsh (Warriors 2 years)
+ Great strike power off the bench
+ Can play hooker, 5/8 or half
+ Strengths weakish halves lineup
+ Old Boy returning home

- Is coming back from a major injury
- Could lead to Morris leaving

Henry Perenara (Dragons)
+ Good player for depth
+ Cheap
+ His Brother

- Could take up the spot of a better, younger player
- Has yet to establish himself in the top grade

Marcus Perenara (Warriors)
+ High regard youngster
+ Gives the Eels another potentinal future star
+ Stegthens weakish halves line up

- Still at least 18 mths away from top grade
- Will be fighting with T.Smith & B.Grenn and not all 3 will survive

Josh Davis (Wellington - NZ)
+ Strengthens on the the weaker postions at the club
+ Highly regard youngster
+ Has stared for Jnr. Kiwis

- Still at least 18 mths away from top grade

Ian Henderson (Roosters)
+ Adds to depth

- Could see John Morris leave

Kurt Sorensen Jnr (NZ)
+ Highly regard youngster

- Still 2 years away from top grade

Daniel Backo (Broncos - 2 years)
+ Highly regard rookie
+ Got his from under Bennetts nose
+ Has stared for Aust. Schoolboys
+ Sams Son

- Still 12 mths away from top grade

Matt Nichols (Ipswich)
+ Could be gem in the rough
+ Gives more depth in one of the weaker positions at the club

- Age starting to catch up (24)

Zach Russ (Wee Waa)
+ Big, young centre
+ Not a Judas

- Still at least 2-3 years away from top grade

Tomorrow: Analysis of losses

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
All the good plyers seem to be coming back from injury, whihc is a worry

The only thing I dont agree with Hurri, is Riddell being an 80 minute player, although he may develop into one.

ParraMatt

Bench
I don't think Backo is 12 months of first grade. He will be there before half the season.

Utey

Coach
I would agree with everything you have written there. Except you cant say they are so and so years away from 1st grade. WHo wouldve thought we would have debuted so many players in the last two seasons. I dont think age has anything to do with it. If they play at a mature level and are playing well enough why not give them the shot they would deserve.

planeteels

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Mr Flatch was just making his guesstimate as to when... Everyone knows that it can happen at any time.

just take players like Karmichael Hunt for example!!!

Earlier this year, it was said that he was a long way away from playing Rep footy, now he is being touted as a possible Tourist at years end for the Tri-Nations.

Any player can be chosen

Utey

Coach
Exactly. Iam so happy to have signed these big name players but the injuries have started to worry me. What a shame if they do their injuries again. We will face another season that should have been

Phillips

Referee
Timana Tahu: a great talent no doubt, is hopefully over his injuries of recent yrs, could well have a Tahu/Gidley combination with Grothe.

Glenn Morrison: our best buy in my opinion, one of my favourite players who i rate in the top 5 back rowers in the game, should have played for NSW/Aust a long time ago.

Mark Riddell: i wasnt too sure about Riddell when we first got him, but i watched some saints games and im bloody happy he's coming our way.

Chad Robinson: hard worker, has played in a very successful side and thats always a good thing.

Paul Stringer: injury plauged his season this yr, hopefully he returns fully fit.

PJ Marsh: Queensland rep, i rated him as the best Hooker in the game (before his injury) should start from the bench early on and then move to either 5/8th or halfback.

Henry Perenara: under-rated player who i would put straight into first grade.

Marcus Perenara: highly righted youngster among warriors fans, (seems to go well in my PS2 game ;-) ) hopefully gets a chance next yr

Josh Davis: another highty rated kiwi.

Ian Henderson: seemed to be an aggressive type player from the games ive seen, good backup incase of injuries

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I disagree with you on the 3 hookers leading to Morris' departure. Morris can play 5/8 and thats what Smith will do next year, also the other 2, Marsh and Riddell can play in other positions.

Hurriflatch

Referee
planeteels got it, I gues made a guesstimate as to what I thought they were.

Considering Russ is only 15 and you cannot play NRL legally until you are 16 and 9 mths* (from memory) and the fact that he'll be staying in Tamworth for the next 2 years to finish school kinda means he won't be there next year.

*Cowboys back in about 95-96 tried to play Josh Hanny only a few days after his 16th birthday but the NRL told them that he was too young.

thewizard1o1

Juniors
Very nice summary....wasn't aware of some of the young guys that we have signed, but it sounds promising for the future. Bring on 2005 :twisted: .

Eels Dude

Coach
planeteels said:
hope daniel backo take his mum's looks and not his dad's!!! poor bugger :lol:

It would equally be a shame if he took his mum's football skills and not his dads.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Morris leaving - do you think it would be that terrible?

Would you rather have a fit Marsh and Riddell or a fit Morris?

Don't get me wrong - I'd love for him to stay. But the reality is unless he wants to come off the bench for Pig, he probably won't play. He's average, at best.

The injuries we'll have to wait and see. Grothe is also injury prone. I don't believe that playing without Gidley will hamper Tahu too much - he has shone in Test matches with Judas and Tate as the centres.

The players 12 to 18 months away from First Grade - well, we'll have to wait and see how they progress. Dan Backo may just be the man to start everyone saying, "Sonny Bill who?"

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
whatever the case its all pretty posotive :clap: except for mayb niggling injurys,but morro played well in his return for cowboys and tahu supposed to b better then b4 after his surgery :D clueless about stringer tho..