What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anasta likely to play

Johns Magic

Referee
From nrl.com

Anasta may make shock appearance against Storm

16 September 2004

Braith Anasta could make a shock appearance in Sunday's NRL semi-final against Melbourne, with the Bulldogs five-eighth winning his battle to overcome a sternum injury.

Coach Steve Folkes said tonight Anasta had trained strongly today, without doing any contact work, and he was increasingly confident the No.6 would line-up against the Storm.

"He's reasonably upbeat about it so we'll see," said Folkes.

"At the start of the week I didn't give him any chance at all but I certainly give him a fair chance now."

The former NSW pivot suffered the injury during the Bulldogs' 30-22 loss to North Queensland in last weekend's qualifying final.

Earlier this week Folkes and Anasta had all but given up hope of the 22-year-old being fit for the Aussie Stadium clash.

"He's not flying but he's optimistic he will play," 'Dogs skipper Steve Price said tonight.

"It's a case of leaving it up to him. I haven't been told he's been ruled out, I haven't been told he's definitely in.

"He said there's nowhere near as much pain as there was."

It augurs well for the Bulldogs, who will have Price on board after the Queensland Origin prop was found not guilty of a striking charge at the NRL judiciary last night.

"I didn't think he should have been there in the first place," Folkes said.

"I think most people conceded that a penalty was sufficient."

If Anasta is cleared to play, Cowboys recruit Johnathan Thurston is likely to drop out of the 18-man squad.

Anasta, 22, has been plagued by injuries heading into the NRL finals series for the past four years.

His importance to the team was magnified following the poor performance of his halves partner Brent Sherwin, whose kicking game went missing against the Cowboys.

Meanwhile, Storm fullback Billy Slater has declared his availability for the Kangaroos tour despite a troublesome groin injury that restricts his training.

Slater had been expected to skip the tour to give the injury time to heal but the 21-year-old today said he was ready if selected.

"As far as I know I am available...if they're going to pick me," Slater said.

"If I get picked we'll see how it goes. Obviously it's a goal of mine but we have bigger fish to fry.

"We are looking at the premiership at the moment."

Slater, an integral member of the Queensland side in this year's State of Origin series, has been in dynamic form of late for Melbourne.

The Innisfail-born speedster scored a try in the Storm's qualifying final win over Brisbane last weekend and was solid in defence.

Dogs Of War

Coach
My Mate just came back from the Bulldogs training session and said Anasta looked fine, he was doing tackling drills with Price and O'Meley.

Hopefully thats mean he will play, whether he will start or not is another matter.

Jess

Juniors
From the 'dogs website...

Friday, September 24, 2004 12:05:57 PM
ANASTA DECLARED FIT TO PLAY
Braith Anasta will start the match tomorrow night for the Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs against the Penrith Panthers at Aussie Stadium. Bulldogs team doctor Hugh Hazard was happy with his recovery from a sternum injury suffered two weeks ago and has declared Braith fit to play.

Braith trained well with the team this morning at 10.30am at Belmore Sports Ground before adjourning to a luncheon where the team was adressed by Bulldogs supporter Steve Waugh with a few words of encouragement about handling sporting occasions such as tomorrow night's game.

Good news :)

Leb-PlaYa

Juniors
mate it doesn't bother me if he plays or doesnt. neva been a big fan of him. as long as we got sherwin steerin da ship we r in good shape.

JK

I want maitua/thurston combo until Anasta learns to play with pain.