What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anasta to union

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Noad says Anasta will stay at Bulldogs
November 5, 2004 - 8:19PM

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad insists the NRL club won't be releasing Braith Anasta from the final year of his contract, despite reports that the five-eighth wants to play rugby for NSW in 2005.

Anasta, his manager Greg Willett and Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie met in a Sydney restaurant to discuss the 22-year-old switching codes.

"He wants out," McKenzie said.

"He's adamant to us that he wants to come on board with the Waratahs next year and we're keen to get him.

"The Bulldogs at the moment seem to be happy to have a player on board who doesn't want to be there for next year," he told Channel Nine.

The Waratahs claim the premiership-winning Bulldogs cleared Anasta to hold talks with NSW rugby officials earlier this year to ease the NRL club's salary cap problems.

"They showed him the door, he's gone through it and he likes what he sees at the Waratahs," McKenzie said.

Noad told AAP he was disappointed Anasta and the Waratahs had not discussed the matter with him personally.

Advertisement
Advertisement"He won't be getting a release," he said.

"The thing that's both surprising and disappointing is that these sorts of conversations are taking place in the media rather than with the club.

"At no time have we had an approach from either Braith Anasta or his manager about wanting a release (from his Bulldogs contract).

"The last conversation the club had with Braith, and he's been quoted in the media, he said he'd be fulfilling his obligation to the club until the end of 2005.

"I'd be very disappointed if that's changed."

Noad said he last spoke to Anasta about his future in the lead-up to the NRL finals series, and had no indications the pivot wanted to leave before his contract expired in 2005.

It was reported recently that Willett held a secret meeting with Waratahs chief executive Fraser Neill a week after the Bulldogs' grand final victory over Sydney Roosters.

Anasta - one of 10 Bulldogs' premiership players off contract at the end of next season - returned from a holiday to Phuket last weekend.

The Waratahs are desperate for a quality No.10 after missing out on the prized signature of Newcastle, NSW and Australian rugby league captain Andrew Johns earlier this year.

© 2004 AAP
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/No...ay-at-Bulldogss/2004/11/05/1099547385201.html

RABK

Referee
IMO he played very well in the latter part of the season for the dog's. Sherwin's form was wavering a bit and anasta helped the team continue to gel in attack. Anasta's and tonga's combo is deadly. I'm not saying he's a great player, but he isn't rated nowhere like he was as a 19yr old.

ozboy

Juniors
Braith Anasta would be the first player I would get rid of if I was Malcolm Noad !!

$450 000, I wouldnt pay him half of that !!!

The guy has proved himself to be a one season rookie wonder, and I would release him any day of the week, to keep the likes of SBW & Mason at the club on long term deals !!!

t-ba

Post Whore
Maybe The 'Brumbies' (No longer ACT...Just...'The Brumbies'. Makes sense when the team lives in Sydney I suppose...) can loan Brett Kimmorley for the 'derby' against the Flowers so he can be a one hit wonder in union too...

...Another reason for Kimmorley hatred. He created the Braith Anasta 'legend'.

aqua_duck

Coach
450K a year for an overhyped, cocky whinger.

The dogs could pretty much replace him with any player they wanted if he were to go. At the end of the day 450k is within the top bracket of player payments, knowing this, you have to ask is Anasta within the top bracket of players in the game?

Deadset, forget about 2nd season syndrome, ANasta has had a case of 2nd, 3rd and 4th season syndrome.

RABK

Referee
Well noad must have rocks in his heads, coz he sounds like he's hell bent on keeping anasta. SBW will demand upwards of $400,000 so the dogs are gonna be strapped for cash.

gaterooze

Bench
It's pretty funny -- Union is desperate to sign the player voted most overrated in League for two years in a row :lol:

I like Anasta and would like to see him at the Bunnies (he's not needed at Canterbury), but if he goes it'll be no great loss. How long has it been now since he was rep standard?

Alba

Coach
i think either way he needs to make his mind up now and stop dragging it on and letting people wonder and as for the suggestion that he might go to Souths "WE DONT WANT HIM" :lol:

choisir

Juniors
Will Mr Gallop step in like he did with A Johns??not likely ,hardley seems fair if he doesnt though

RABK

Referee
Anasta is hardly as important to the game as Johns. ;-) Johns brings publicity, gets kids wanting to play the game and is leagues "michael jordan" so to speak.

choisir

Juniors
best years behind Johns[rather large behind too]best years ahead of Anasta.Rules for some i guess others get a bit better treatment