What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anasta unhappy

macnaz

Staff member
Anyway .. as others have said I think that was his best game in a Tigers jersey, he just did his job at least to an NRL standard .. more of the same and ill be satisfied.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
So he wasn't "really good" then.

He just didn't stuff up.

Except once.

I'm happy with his effort today. That stuff up was poor but you have to put his play into perspective to his pay and expectations. If he defends solidly, doesn't stuff up like he did today with that kick and possibly some others and gives us an option in attack that is enough. I think he did enough today.

Eddie.

Bench
Everyone knows he is way past it. Anyway its a development team so having him around the place in helpful for the young blokes this season. I would rather it be in a coaching capacity. He did a few decent kicks and a nice pass for Richards. However essentially he is just passing time till the end of his career.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was shit. His last tackle options, while immensely better than the turd they were in round 1, were still not good enough.

If thats his 'good' then get rid of him quick.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't think we should be dropping him just yet. Brooks is getting comfortable playing with him and you never know, there may be little things he is doing (to help his halves partner) that we don't see or hear about.

We haven't seen Austin at FG level yet, you never know it might take him a couple of games to adjust. I'm happy to keep Anasta for now

N.C.

Juniors
This idea that we need to drop Anasta has me perplexed. He's no Benji Marshall, and perhaps he's no Blake Austin either, but at the moment the team needs neither of those. We've shown in both games that when we defend well, we've got enough creative options to get us over the line. We don't need another one jamming all the signals. Anasta is good for us right now, because he's prepared to take a back seat and let the new kids run the show.

That said, I'm looking forward to the day Austin runs out with Brooks, Tedesco and Farah. But until we can be satisfied that Brooks has found some consistency, I think Anasta is the right option. It might take another week, it might take another month. The test for Potter will be whether or not he spots it and makes the change at the right time.

There, I said it.

Radical Rat

Juniors
This idea that we need to drop Anasta has me perplexed. He's no Benji Marshall, and perhaps he's no Blake Austin either, but at the moment the team needs neither of those. We've shown in both games that when we defend well, we've got enough creative options to get us over the line. We don't need another one jamming all the signals. Anasta is good for us right now, because he's prepared to take a back seat and let the new kids run the show.

That said, I'm looking forward to the day Austin runs out with Brooks, Tedesco and Farah. But until we can be satisfied that Brooks has found some consistency, I think Anasta is the right option. It might take another week, it might take another month. The test for Potter will be whether or not he spots it and makes the change at the right time.

There, I said it.

I can see what you're saying, but for that to happen Anansta needs to be playing at an acceptable level. I would put that Titans game as his benchmark, if he can play at or above that then he can keep the 5/8 seat warm. But if he dips below that (as he did against the Dragons)then he needs to get the boot asap.

N.C.

Juniors
Fair enough. I reckon all this talk* of the Titans game as a benchmark is a little dangerous, though. Titans were rubbish. Sure, we took advantage of that... but there's no escaping it. We'll see them again in about 6 weeks time, maybe then we can talk about benchmarks.

*Nb I know you're not drawing this line - I am. Thought it a nice segue.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Fair enough. I reckon all this talk* of the Titans game as a benchmark is a little dangerous, though. Titans were rubbish. Sure, we took advantage of that... but there's no escaping it. We'll see them again in about 6 weeks time, maybe then we can talk about benchmarks.

*Nb I know you're not drawing this line - I am. Thought it a nice segue.

The Titans were horrible, no doubt about that. When I talk of a benchmark for Anasta, I'm just referring to a solid kicking game and good defence. I'm not expecting him to tear any teams apart no matter how poor they play, so the calibre of opponent shouldn't come into it too much. He just has to be solid without too many f*ck ups (i.e not finding touch, kicking the ball over Patty Richards head multiple times).

As pointed out by others, if our defence is solid and we're not making too many mistakes, we have enough creativity and firepower through Brooks and Teddy.

But let me say that I am pro Austin. The things I expect from Anasta, Austin can do plus he has a strong running game.

N.C.

Juniors
Won't argue with any of that.

Also wouldn't want to be in Potter's shoes right now... only thing harder than backing up from a big loss is backing up from a big win. That is the way of the Tiger.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

There, I said it.

I'm not after a play maker at 6, someone of a similar mould to say a Wade Graham/Trent Barrett type five-eighth is all we need, a solid defender, who runs and has good boot on him for long kicks.

Anasta thinks he's a halfback and tries to much fancy stuff, too often at the wrong time.

He was at his best when he ran forward with the ball in both hands. now he's a link guy, because he doesn't threaten an opposition's defence, he cannot create overlap opportunities or gaps, because he only draws one defender.

If he ran the ball, he'd attract a second defender, once he does that, he can then use his grubbers and passes to greater effect.

He's just pointless. He's a bloke wearing a jumper who is capable of holding his own defensively and thats it.

super_coach

First Grade
Easy to play well at no6 when the forwards are eating up the yards. Will be interesting to see how he goes over the next few weeks. I want to see him play strong against a team like Souths or Easts before I eat humble pie.

If it was my call I would still prefer Austin, I think with Farah, Teddy,Brooks and Austen we could really create some havoc although in saying that Mad unit's comments about having a solid type no six in the of a Trent Barret-Wade Grahame has plenty of merrit

N.C.

Juniors
I'm not after a play maker at 6, someone of a similar mould to say a Wade Graham/Trent Barrett type five-eighth is all we need, a solid defender, who runs and has good boot on him for long kicks.

Anasta thinks he's a halfback and tries to much fancy stuff, too often at the wrong time.

He was at his best when he ran forward with the ball in both hands. now he's a link guy, because he doesn't threaten an opposition's defence, he cannot create overlap opportunities or gaps, because he only draws one defender.

If he ran the ball, he'd attract a second defender, once he does that, he can then use his grubbers and passes to greater effect.

He's just pointless. He's a bloke wearing a jumper who is capable of holding his own defensively and thats it.

...and who handles the bulk of our kicking game.

...and who should be taking on the line a little more, yes.

...but really, that's all we need at the moment until Brooks is more or less solid.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
and the kicking went well in round 1 didn't it.

He has a big boot on him, and those kicks would be great if they hit open space more often than rarely. His short kicking is a joke and should be left entirely to Brooks and Farah.

Taking on the line a little more?

Brooks has run the ball almost twice as many times as Anasta after just 2 games, and he's the halfback!

Anasta 8 runs for 50 metres
Brooks 14 runs for 91 metres

If he ran the ball at least as much as Brooks does, he'd be a million times more effective and I'd have no issue with him staying in the top side.

Matchball

Bench
Yes. Take on the line more is all he needs to do.
He could have scored himself with richards second try but scared to take on the line so he passed.

Tiger05

First Grade
GET f**kED ANASTA YOU PATHETIC HACK !!!!!!!!

We won and its a bit harsh but if we are being honest Brooks and Austin are both better options.

We seemed to go to Anasta whenever we were on the attack and he stuffed it basically every time.

Latest posts