What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hunt’s Dragons debut just a taste of what’s to come: Widdop
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2472_3000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Starting point: Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding

After having nine halves partners since arriving in Wollongong in 2014, it’s with confidence Gareth Widdop believes Ben Hunt has barely even begun to unleash the Dragons’ attacking potential.

Hunt setup one try and scored another in the 34-12 demolition of Brisbane in his Dragons debut, while Widdop threw two majestic passes to complete the demolition job.

The only try neither had a hand in came when Jack de Belin caught the Brisbane defence flat-footed and barged his way over. De Belin was one of the eight halves to start a game alongside Widdop since he joined the club from Melbourne, including three – Michael Witt, Sam Williams and Adam Quinlan – in the first five games he played in the Red V.

So while fans have only had their first taste of the Widdop-Hunt combination, the captain admits to feeling a new freedom on the field alongside a dominant halfback.

“We’ve got a No.7 who’s going to be here for a while now, he’s here for another six years,” Widdop said on Monday at WIN Stadium.

“I think we’ve had (eight) different halfbacks, chopping and changing, whereas now we’ve signed Benny, who’s a traditional halfback.

“We know he’s going to be there, my focus is very simple, to do my job for the team and he does his.”

Widdop said rather than his assists for the right-sided duo Euan Aitken and Jason Nightingale being set plays, they were the result of a dominant forward pack and a new-found licence to roam.

“Having Ben there has freed me up a little bit, to run around the field,” he said.

“I’ve just found myself in that position to thankfully score a few tries.”

Hunt’s next assignment comes against 2016 premiers the Sharks, another team widely considered to be a finals threat come September, despite their opening round loss to North Queensland.

It will be the first time Sharks recruit Josh Dugan will play against the Dragons, since he left Canberra for Wollongong in 2013.

Widdop ruled out giving Dugan any special attention on Thursday, even if he starts in the No.1 jersey.

“We all know Dugan’s a talent,” Widdop said.

r0_42_5315_3049_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

All smiles: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop was impressive against Brisbane. Picture: John Veage

“He can play a number of positions.

“… We won’t put too much focus into any individuals, it;s about ourselves.”

Meanwhile, Broncos prop Jayden Su’a took a one-game suspension for an off-the-ball shoulder charge which shook Paul Vaughan.

Su’a took the early guilty plea.

TWO TO TANGO
Widdop’s halves partners since joining St George Illawarra in 2014

Michael Witt

Sam Williams

Adam Quinlan

Benji Marshall

Drew Hutchison

Jack de Belin

Josh McCrone

Kurt Mann

Ben Hunt

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...just-a-taste-of-whats-to-come-widdop/?cs=3713
One week for an off the ball shoulder charge. WTF

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hunt’s Dragons debut just a taste of what’s to come: Widdop
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2472_3000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Starting point: Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding

After having nine halves partners since arriving in Wollongong in 2014, it’s with confidence Gareth Widdop believes Ben Hunt has barely even begun to unleash the Dragons’ attacking potential.

Hunt setup one try and scored another in the 34-12 demolition of Brisbane in his Dragons debut, while Widdop threw two majestic passes to complete the demolition job.

The only try neither had a hand in came when Jack de Belin caught the Brisbane defence flat-footed and barged his way over. De Belin was one of the eight halves to start a game alongside Widdop since he joined the club from Melbourne, including three – Michael Witt, Sam Williams and Adam Quinlan – in the first five games he played in the Red V.

So while fans have only had their first taste of the Widdop-Hunt combination, the captain admits to feeling a new freedom on the field alongside a dominant halfback.

“We’ve got a No.7 who’s going to be here for a while now, he’s here for another six years,” Widdop said on Monday at WIN Stadium.

“I think we’ve had (eight) different halfbacks, chopping and changing, whereas now we’ve signed Benny, who’s a traditional halfback.

“We know he’s going to be there, my focus is very simple, to do my job for the team and he does his.”

Widdop said rather than his assists for the right-sided duo Euan Aitken and Jason Nightingale being set plays, they were the result of a dominant forward pack and a new-found licence to roam.

“Having Ben there has freed me up a little bit, to run around the field,” he said.

“I’ve just found myself in that position to thankfully score a few tries.”

Hunt’s next assignment comes against 2016 premiers the Sharks, another team widely considered to be a finals threat come September, despite their opening round loss to North Queensland.

It will be the first time Sharks recruit Josh Dugan will play against the Dragons, since he left Canberra for Wollongong in 2013.

Widdop ruled out giving Dugan any special attention on Thursday, even if he starts in the No.1 jersey.

“We all know Dugan’s a talent,” Widdop said.

r0_42_5315_3049_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

All smiles: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop was impressive against Brisbane. Picture: John Veage

“He can play a number of positions.

“… We won’t put too much focus into any individuals, it;s about ourselves.”

Meanwhile, Broncos prop Jayden Su’a took a one-game suspension for an off-the-ball shoulder charge which shook Paul Vaughan.

Su’a took the early guilty plea.

TWO TO TANGO
Widdop’s halves partners since joining St George Illawarra in 2014

Michael Witt

Sam Williams

Adam Quinlan

Benji Marshall

Drew Hutchison

Jack de Belin

Josh McCrone

Kurt Mann

Ben Hunt

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...just-a-taste-of-whats-to-come-widdop/?cs=3713
I am thinking that Hunt is going to find career best form this year. He will be playing behind a very strong pack. He will also be allowed to be the dominate play maker and play both sides of the field, like a halfback should. I think Bennett may have restricted Hunt to a degree.

I also am very happy to hear/read that Widdop has a licence to roam around the field and play both sides. Combine that with finally having a good halfback to play beside and a strong pack in front of him. I am thinking that Widdop may find career best form too.

If I am correct, we are going to have a very good year and play some very attractive football.

I used to have a philosophy that the team with the best pair of halves has the best chance of winning a comp, I still have that philosophy, but have added fullback to the equation.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Are you serious? We're talking about the 2015 season here. 3 years ago mate. Stop living in the past. What about when he made the Australian team and the Queensland Origin side? How about when he single handedly got them to that Grand Final in 2015 and was a few points off the Dally M in 2014. How about when he was thrust into the hooker position and all of a sudden was Cameron Smith's first choice back up hooker?

Yes, Hunt can be susceptible to a couple of mistakes here and there, but isn't every player? He had a quality game for us last night and won Man of the Match. He did SO many things right and you pick one moment when he kicked the ball dead. Do you remember that moment when he basically won the game for us by taking that intercept when we were under the pump? Or his pinpoint kicking game (apart from the kick that went dead). Or if it wasn't for Widdop being half a yard offside, we would have scored probably an early contender for try of the year of a reverse banana kick.

Stop driving your pessimistic agenda and open your eyes. Hunt is quality.
You are not qualified to comment on quality because you have no footballing credentials...stick to music instead of masquerading as having knowledge beyond that of your peers who watch the same television broadcast as you.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
You are not qualified to comment on quality because you have no footballing credentials...stick to music instead of masquerading as having knowledge beyond that of your peers who watch the same television broadcast as you.

I'm so glad you spent all that time trying to find all of those personal details. You must have a lot of time on your hands. I'm flattered, truly.

I'd also LOVE to know your credentials.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt confident St George Illawarra Dragons attack will return to form
Local Sport
r0_0_2034_2996_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Room to improve: Halfback Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding.

St George Illawarra Dragons halfback Ben Hunt is confident his side’s attack will get back on track in Sunday’s match against the Titans.

The Dragons attack struggled at times in Thursday night’s victory over the Sharks, with much of the polish from the round one win over the Broncos absent. While pleased the side was able to grind its way to victory, Hunt recognised the team lost it’s structure at times and is confident the issues have been rectified.

“The biggest thing in our attack, it’s about getting our set plays better,” Hunt said.

“I think in the game against the Sharks, we sort of got away from the places on the field we wanted to get to and setting up for our big plays. We got a bit lost in that regard and that’s something we need to improve.”

“I sort of felt like we were a little bit too lateral. I felt like the way the Sharks like to get up and muscle up in defence, we tried to move the ball a little bit. Overall I think we just need to be a lot better in our attack.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5294702/hunt-set-to-return-attack-to-course/

ouryears

Bench
You are being a d##k h##d

getsmarty

Immortal
More than just $1 million: What Hunt demanded from Dragons

by Nathan Ryan

21st Mar 2018 4:54 PM
IT wasn't all about the money.

Sure, $1 million plus a season was a lucrative and enticing offer but there was no Jerry Maguire moment when it came to contract negotiations with Ben Hunt.

A lot has been made of the large figure St George Illawarra are paying their marquee recruit but what you don't know is the lengthy and revealing conversations the club had with the halfback in the lead-up to securing his signature.

Dragons' Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward revealed it took four meetings with Hunt - three of them in Brisbane - before the deal was done.

And the pitch was more detailed than most recruitment meetings.

imagev1f4631d90d0f7ea78bfd7b5dbc55175da-8v1v0trgecozm7ltyp2_t460.jpg

Ben Hunt during training at WIN Stadium.
While the former Brisbane No.7 had met all of Millward's conditions for signing a playmaker, the 27-year-old had four critical questions he needed answers to.

"Ben had criteria when he came on board with us too. It wasn't all about our criteria," Millward said.

"Our criteria internally was, we wanted a halfback who'd played 100 plus NRL games, we wanted a halfback who had played either Origin or who had played in a grand final, we wanted a halfback whose personality was flat lined a lot, it wasn't spiked up and down.

"There was a lot of traits we were looking for and then when we sat down with Ben he had a lot of criteria too.

"He wanted to know who was going to be the right second rower, what style we were going to play, did we have any halfbacks on our coaching staff that could continue to advance his game and help him with feedback.

"He wanted to know the strength of our forwards. That was a real big thing criteria with Ben.

imagev1a65b4029c6bea27ed981300a195b9179-l8g8fbyjhi4oy7ltyp2_t460.jpg

Ben Hunt gets a kick away.
"We had to really go into some detail because Ben wasn't up to date with how good (Jack) De Belin was, how Tariq (Sims) was going and some of our younger forwards coming through and Cameron McInnes as a hooker he had to gain a rapport with so there was a little bit of trust he had to take in with us."

Millward was impressed by Hunt's line of questioning.

Rather than accept the dollar figure like many other players would have, he was invested and since arriving at the joint venture, his passion has only intensified.

"That really impressed you. It wasn't just 'oh yeah, I've listened to you and might move on'," he said.

"Obviously the biggest thing that came through our pre-season, is he was able to interact really quickly with guys. He's a person that's really level headed but not spiking at times, some days he's up and some days he's done. His personality is very good.

"The players appreciated him when we did a lot of opposed at training early in the pre-season.

"His kicking game, the way he can build pressure and the way he kept his composure through a lot of the in-house training. He's been able to transfer that to a game.

"He's been a person that the other players are really enjoying playing with and they appreciate what he's brought and the interaction with his spine has been really well. They have a real good rapport early."

imagev18df80c10f0b04cf480ddae3ef9622051-itdton2mjafg68ltyp2_t460.jpg

Ben Hunt is congratulated by Tyson Frizell.
While seeking detail, the depth of questioning on Hunt's end isn't uncommon for a player of his ilk.

As a Test and Queensland Origin representative, Millward said Hunt's at a stage of his career where he's chasing success.

With 22 of their top 30 signed on for 2019, the Dragons have stability and security within their squad and most notably, their key positions.

"If you're talking to marquees, they do usually have options," Millward said of talks with Hunt.

"You've got to pitch. You're not just turning up saying we've got a good team, there's some money. Marquee players want to be surrounded with people that are going to give them longevity and also keep improving their game and keep improving their performance.

imagev147e3e4ad008a267475564ae96ae36931-18ml39jjj1h7ne19xp2_t460.jpg

Ben Hunt in action for Dragons. Picture: Phil Hillyard
"A younger guy, you're trying to explain his pathway, where he's seen in the organisation, is there a succession plan for him moving forward?

"It's different to that player who's the middle of the road and looking for opportunity, who has been dogged by injuries and obviously the coach has a big effect on that too. When he sits down with the player, especially a marquee, he's got to sell his philosophies and the culture he's going to bring to the club and where that player fits in.

"It's not just about picking a player up and putting a figure on the table. There are players who'll sign for a little bit less at one club because they see that fit and that synergy and the coach and culture fits."

https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/more-then-just-1-million-what-ben-hunt-asked-of-th/3367202/

Bench
Hunt had been our best signing in years and is the missing link we needed so badly.
Where do people rate him against the other sevens playing now.

Frank Facer

First Grade

by Nathan Ryan

Sure, $1 million plus a season was a lucrative and enticing offer but there was no Jerry Maguire moment when it came to contract negotiations with Ben Hunt.

A lot has been made of the large figure St George Illawarra are paying their marquee recruit but what you don't know is the lengthy and revealing conversations the club had with the halfback in the lead-up to securing his signature.

Dragons' Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward revealed it took four meetings with Hunt - three of them in Brisbane - before the deal was done.

While the former Brisbane No.7 had met all of Millward's conditions for signing a playmaker, the 27-year-old had four critical questions he needed answers to.

"Ben had criteria when he came on board with us too. It wasn't all about our criteria," Millward said.

"Our criteria internally was, we wanted a halfback who'd played 100 plus NRL games, we wanted a halfback who had played either Origin or who had played in a grand final, we wanted a halfback whose personality was flat lined a lot, it wasn't spiked up and down.

"There was a lot of traits we were looking for and then when we sat down with Ben he had a lot of criteria too.

"He wanted to know who was going to be the right second rower, what style we were going to play, did we have any halfbacks on our coaching staff that could continue to advance his game and help him with feedback.

"He wanted to know the strength of our forwards. That was a real big thing criteria with Ben.

"We had to really go into some detail because Ben wasn't up to date with how good (Jack) De Belin was, how Tariq (Sims) was going and some of our younger forwards coming through and Cameron McInnes as a hooker he had to gain a rapport with so there was a little bit of trust he had to take in with us."

Rather than accept the dollar figure like many other players would have, he was invested and since arriving at the joint venture, his passion has only intensified.

"That really impressed you. It wasn't just 'oh yeah, I've listened to you and might move on'," he said.

"Obviously the biggest thing that came through our pre-season, is he was able to interact really quickly with guys. He's a person that's really level headed but not spiking at times, some days he's up and some days he's done. His personality is very good.

"The players appreciated him when we did a lot of opposed at training early in the pre-season.

"His kicking game, the way he can build pressure and the way he kept his composure through a lot of the in-house training. He's been able to transfer that to a game.

"He's been a person that the other players are really enjoying playing with and they appreciate what he's brought and the interaction with his spine has been really well. They have a real good rapport early."

While seeking detail, the depth of questioning on Hunt's end isn't uncommon for a player of his ilk.

As a Test and Queensland Origin representative, Millward said Hunt's at a stage of his career where he's chasing success.

With 22 of their top 30 signed on for 2019, the Dragons have stability and security within their squad and most notably, their key positions.

"If you're talking to marquees, they do usually have options," Millward said of talks with Hunt.

"You've got to pitch. You're not just turning up saying we've got a good team, there's some money. Marquee players want to be surrounded with people that are going to give them longevity and also keep improving their game and keep improving their performance.

"A younger guy, you're trying to explain his pathway, where he's seen in the organisation, is there a succession plan for him moving forward?

"It's different to that player who's the middle of the road and looking for opportunity, who has been dogged by injuries and obviously the coach has a big effect on that too. When he sits down with the player, especially a marquee, he's got to sell his philosophies and the culture he's going to bring to the club and where that player fits in.

"It's not just about picking a player up and putting a figure on the table. There are players who'll sign for a little bit less at one club because they see that fit and that synergy and the coach and culture fits."

https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/more-then-just-1-million-what-ben-hunt-asked-of-th/3367202/
I am happy that our marquee players are now our halves. I believe that our marquee players should be halves and fullback. Those are the players/positions that we should build our team around.

I am also very happy with the forward pack we currently have. It is a lot better than it was when Mary first took over the coaching role. If we didn't have a good pack, then Hunt probably would not have signed with us.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I am happy that our marquee players are now our halves. I believe that our marquee players should be halves and fullback. Those are the players/positions that we should build our team around.

I am also very happy with the forward pack we currently have. It is a lot better than it was when Mary first took over the coaching role. If we didn't have a good pack, then Hunt probably would not have signed with us.
Regarding your last paragraph, I've given Mary plenty of shit and deservedly so but I can't help but believe he is oddly quite good at dealing with forwards. When James Graham speaks highly of Mary, you can really tell it's sincere.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
And you are qualified to comment dickhead .......

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hunt had been our best signing in years and is the missing link we needed so badly.
Where do people rate him against the other sevens playing now.
I still have Thurston on top with Cronk not far behind.
Cleary looks really good and is improving.
Then I think the likes of Hunt, Cherry, Johnson would all pretty even, depending on the day. They all have very good running games and provide some X factor.
Taylor is a good young halfback, who looks to be a good game manager.
I think Foran is a good halfback, I would have Pearce next pick.
Croft looked good in the couple of games he played last year. He looks like a good prospect.

SBD82

Coach

by Nathan Ryan

That's a really positive article. Particularly millwards comments.

I was skeptical of millwards appointment. But he really does seem to have improved our recruitment massively. Has a good sense of our gaps and targets his recruitment to fill them in the long term. Also seems comfortable making hard decisions which will see us in a better position in the long term.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Already seeing that in practice. One of his kicks in the second half against Sharks put them deep in their half at the right time in the game, much like Sowie.

" did we have any halfbacks on our coaching staff that could continue to advance his game and help him with feedback".

Very nice. A top shelf half not just singing on for the cash however, able to accept that others can improve his game. Don't think to many players would consider that.

ALSGI

Bench
I find it interesting that Walters is talking about Munster and Morgan as Qld haves, even DCE with no mention of Hunt. On current form you’d have to think Hunt would be there somewhere?
Hooker?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The fact that the Hunt/Widdop combo is already firing is a reeeeally positive sign. I was worried it might take some time for them to gel and thus may cost us a few games, but they're absolutely killing it already.
This is a halves combination that will be together for at least the next 4 years, so it's important that they know each other inside out.

Finally, some stability!

SEAT 1A

Bench
I find it interesting that Walters is talking about Munster and Morgan as Qld haves, even DCE with no mention of Hunt. On current form you’d have to think Hunt would be there somewhere?
Hooker?

Remember the Muster V Hunt title fight, but who knows ALSGI.

It wouldn't surprise me if Walters doesn't cast his net past the QLD teams and MEL.