What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Fifita compared to Arthur Beetson

OldPanther

Coach
Cronulla's back is nuts. Gal and Lewis still putting up big games regularly despite fading out of their rep careers (willingly or not).
Fifita an absolute monster. Prior the workhorse.
And Wade Graham just a pure footballer.

And any side with Maloney running the backline is gonna win more games than they lose. This is beyond any doubt now.

The only thing stopping them featuring on the first Sunday of October, again, will be either what f**ked us in 2015 - injuries to key players, or what f**ked us in 2014 - lack of hunger compared to a desperate opposition.
But I dunno. Most of their old blokes have spent their careers on the bottom end of the table, i reckon they've got more than 1 premierships worth of hunger in them.

100% Them and Melbourne are the reason I really don't see anyone else getting close. Maybe Dragons IF they can keep the intensity long term.

adamkungl

Immortal
100% Them and Melbourne are the reason I really don't see anyone else getting close. Maybe Dragons IF they can keep the intensity long term.

Early days yet. Origin period usually changes things up a bit. And only need 1 off day in September to fall out the arse of the finals..

OldPanther

Coach
Early days yet. Origin period usually changes things up a bit. And only need 1 off day in September to fall out the arse of the finals..

True. I can only form my opinion on what's happening at the moment. If something changes so will I.

yobbo84

First Grade
Souths were 4th in 2015 going into Round 25 - then in the last couple of weeks Inglis does his PCL, Sutto breaks his leg, Issac Luke gets a 2 week suspension for a shoulder charge, George Burgess gets the same for throwing a water bottle and we limped out like of the finals in week 1 like wet lettuce. There's a long way to go yet but the Sharks do look strong.

Big Pete

Referee
The biggest concern for Cronulla is that they can float in and out of games. It seems like they can hold their own for 50-60 minutes, but then there is a 20 minute period where they just go to sleep and give up a lot of easy points.

It's a credit to them they have been so resilient and when the game has come down to the crunch they've been able to finish with the last laugh.

I still get the feeling that it's Melbourne's year, unless a side like Sydney get their act together and play with more consistency.

no name

Coach
It's amazing that all it takes is a "MOM" performance in a GF, a superman performance in SOO and a Tour ban for Fifita to be redeemed in the eyes of the media (and a few dopey forumers lurking in the sharks forum).

People were baying for his blood last year. He is probably the same as he was back then. And was definitely playing at the same level.

Maybe if Pearce does the same, fans will love him as much as the media does.

He's not redeemed yet, still a few wanting to bring up off field stuff any chance they can.

Andrew Fifita's starring State Of Origin role highlights sometimes awkward position of fans
ANALYSIS
By Offsiders columnist Richard Hinds
Posted about 9 hours ago
For those who hope to admire both the athletic feats of their sporting heroes and their human qualities, or that semblance of "humanity" portrayed by all forms of media, there is a constant conundrum.

Back in the day, when TV lenses were focused only on the games and sportswriters applied a code of confidentiality to bar-room conversations and late-night 'antics', should we have been told more about the foibles and failings of our heroes?

Or now, in an age when facts are often replaced by speculation and opinion, while social media grossly inflates even the most risible observations, do we (think we) know far too much?

On Wednesday night, New South Wales front-rower Andrew Fifita should have applied marinade rather than liniment before trotting onto a seething Lang Park. As the anointed villain in the loathed Blues line-up, he was to be the main course in Australia's sporting coliseum.

Accordingly, guests have arrived at a Trump costume party dressed as Angela Merkel and received warmer welcomes than the one Fifita got from a local crowd so intimidating even the poor guy singing the national anthem choked.

Yet the 27-year-old prop embraced this test of courage and character with such focused ferocity that he emerged, even in the grudging eyes of his Maroon tormentors, as the hero of a famous and potentially dynasty-destroying 28-4 victory.

What made Fifita's performance so compelling was that he stood out to even the untrained eye in a game of rare and relentless excellence.

As one set after another was completed with mathematical precision, Fifita broke the game's metronomic rhythm and busted the play open time and time again. Such was his sheer physical impact on an otherwise measured game, it was as if everyone else had a calculator and Fifita had a sledge hammer.

Fifita's reputation as a big-game player should have been assured after last year's NRL grand final. Yet, even as he carried Cronulla to its first premiership and scored the winning try, we remained more focused on his rap sheet than his stats sheet.

There was the road-rage incident, his intimidation of a junior referee and, most recently, his public support for one-punch killer Kieran Loveridge that inevitably resulted in his exclusion from the Kangaroos tour of England.
This Wiki page list was routinely reproduced in every Fifita story (yes, as it has been in this one). When accompanied by pictures of this 194-centimetre, 120-kilogram mural of menace, the image of an intimidating, even malevolent figure was ingrained.

So much so that when team-mate Luke Lewis was awarded the Clive Churchill Medal as best player in the grand final instead of Fifita, many felt this was appropriate punishment rather than an administrative outrage.

But because we think we know so much about professional athletes, we often find we don't know much at all. Fifita, we were told, suffered depression and even once attempted suicide.

After his incredible Origin performance, Fifita said: "This is what you live for, big games like these."

Knowing his personal history, those words drip with poignancy.

Yet the cycle of speculation and innuendo is relentless. So we still wonder if Fifita's mental anguish was caused by the public reaction to his anti-social behaviour.

Or, even more cruelly, whether the publicity of his problems was an attention-deflecting grab for public sympathy.

Do we know anything? Do we know too much? Would it better to know only what we see on the field?

Hawkins

Juniors
Wednesday was his best game next to last years grand final. Maybe a few more rounds like this before we talk all time legend.

Life's Good

Coach
Was too young to remember Beetson in his prime.
Fifita is mighty when his head is the right space. As for the off field stuff well plenty of worse has been done. Just glad he is being recognised for his ability because he has all the skills. One other thing is all the plaudits must be making Paul Kents bold boil which is very pleasing.

King hit

Coach
Media hyping out something again. Fifita is bloody good when he wants to be, Beetson was unbelievable from the footage I've seen.

I own the first Origin game on DVD and Artie was pretty good on the night actually. Would've been one of QLD's best.

NRL needs more balanced media. Less hyperbole, less hand wringing, pulpit bashing.

Just report the game, give it attention, admire skills, feats, accomplishments and records.

Andrew Fifita is an amazing player, and is currently the 4th most important in the NSW side, behind captain Cordner, inspirational leader Pearce and the brilliant Tedesco.

A better comparison is of Andrew Fifita with his twin brother David, who is carving up Super League with Wakefield Trinity. David Fifita is being compared with some of the great Wakefield props of all time, in a Super League which this year is stronger than the NRL (as seen in Wigan thumping Cronulla and Warrington thumping Brisbane in February).

So my conclusion is that Andrew Fifita could be the next David Fifita if he keeps at it.

Arthur Beetson is of course in another higher class all by himself.

A better comparison is of Andrew Fifita with his twin brother David, who is carving up Super League with Wakefield Trinity. David Fifita is being compared with some of the great Wakefield props of all time, in a Super League which this year is stronger than the NRL (as seen in Wigan thumping Cronulla and Warrington thumping Brisbane in February).

So my conclusion is that Andrew Fifita could be the next David Fifita if he keeps at it.

Arthur Beetson is of course in another higher class all by himself.
lol